Do you know any way to test for sugar/diabetes?

FiberousJ
FiberousJ Posts: 82 Member
I don't think I have it, but I want to be sure. Do you know an online test you can take, without having to go to the Dr. office? I just got to know.

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I don't know where you live, but in the U.S., a lot a pharmacies have walk-in clinics that will do the test for you.
  • rhaiin
    rhaiin Posts: 35 Member
    You should really go to the doctor if you're concerned. Diabetes is not something to mess around with. They'll do some blood work to test your A1C after you fast to diagnose you. Its better to catch it early on before it starts causing nerve and blood vessel damage.

However, if you are unable to go to the doctor for whatever reaosn, you can buy a glucose meter at any pharmacy and you could record your blood sugar 4 or 5 times a day for a few days to see if its normal or not. Normal blood sugar is around 100 usually. If it goes higher than 140 after a meal, that would be cause for concern. At that point, you definately need to see a doctor.
  • FiberousJ
    FiberousJ Posts: 82 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    rhaiin wrote: »
    You should really go to the doctor if you're concerned. Diabetes is not something to mess around with. They'll do some blood work to test your A1C after you fast to diagnose you. Its better to catch it early on before it starts causing nerve and blood vessel damage.

However, if you are unable to go to the doctor for whatever reaosn, you can buy a glucose meter at any pharmacy and you could record your blood sugar 4 or 5 times a day for a few days to see if its normal or not. Normal blood sugar is around 100 usually. If it goes higher than 140 after a meal, that would be cause for concern. At that point, you definately need to see a doctor.

Normal BG readings are around 80... 100 is borderline high. Post-prandial (after eating) BG readings are completely dependent on what was eaten. It is not unusual for a person without diabetes to have a post-prandial reading in the high 180's if they have eaten starchy carbs or a sugary dessert during the meal. What needs to be checked after eating is whether or not the BG readings return to the normal range 1.5 to 2 hours after the meal is consumed.

I'm looking at the Test you talked about (Quest). But you were talking about blood glucose after a meal. This test requires you to fast 8 to 12 hours.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    FiberousJ wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    rhaiin wrote: »

Normal BG readings are around 80... 100 is borderline high. Post-prandial (after eating) BG readings are completely dependent on what was eaten. It is not unusual for a person without diabetes to have a post-prandial reading in the high 180's if they have eaten starchy carbs or a sugary dessert during the meal. What needs to be checked after eating is whether or not the BG readings return to the normal range 1.5 to 2 hours after the meal is consumed.

I'm looking at the Test you talked about (Quest). But you were talking about blood glucose after a meal. This test requires you to fast 8 to 12 hours.

For a baseline reading (i.e. how your body is actually managing the blood sugar levels overall) the test will always be done in a fasted state.

I was replying to the previous poster who had made the claim that your BG reading should not go above 140 after eating a meal, which is a ridiculous claim. The problem (and one of the indications of diabetes) is not the spike after the meal - the problem comes when the BG spike lasts longer than 2 hours. Non-diabetic BG readings should return to a normal level within about 2 hours of the meal. When the level stays high longer than that, it is an indication that something may be up and further medical intervention may be necessary.
  • crackon20
    crackon20 Posts: 20 Member
    We should all have a health care provider we like and trust. It took me many years to find someone who cares about my health, listens, etc. I encourage you to find a health care provider. Now you can read reviews online. Good luck.
  • kizanne2
    kizanne2 Posts: 123 Member
    FiberousJ wrote: »
    I don't think I have it, but I want to be sure. Do you know an online test you can take, without having to go to the Dr. office? I just got to know.

You can get a blood glucose monitor at any pharmacy for $15 or so and then test strips. I just got mine at Walgreens $18 for the monitor and $10 for 30 strips. Any fasting blood sugar of 100 or over isn't good truth is 85 is much better. But what you really want to know is are you insulin resistant which comes before Type 2 diabetes.

Walkinlab.com will allow you to order a fasting insulin test which you can combine with your fasting glucose to calculate a HOMA-IR score which is a fairly reliable measure for insulin resistance. My test cost $25 at quest.

I have a regular physician. I've been testing at 99 fasting glucose for years. She hasn't said anything.
    I start watching the series of videos by Dr. Sten Ekberg and so much started to make sense https://youtube.com/watch?v=DU84RvE568k

My Homa-ir score is 2.3 so insulin resistant on my way to type 2 diabetes best part is he has some great advice on how to reverse insulin resistance.