Yet another former SPer

Sioranth
Sioranth Posts: 306 Member
edited June 2021 in Introduce Yourself
Hey everyone!

I'm here due to SP closing down as well. So far, I'm enjoying MFP and find everything easy to log and find as far as tracking and groups vs. main message boards. I decided to do the one-month trial with yearly membership, but the free site looks pretty great, too. I just happen to like all the data available with the paid version. I am going to miss the 5% challenges in 2 months if they don't migrate here, but I can't sit around and "wait and see" what happens with the new 360 site. I wrote a whole blog entry on global capitalism and this changeover on my SP page. I'd rather be here helping build a strong community of support.

I'm 46 and I'm growing older but I refuse to grow up. I'm neurodivergent with chronic mental health issues which are under treatment, but this basically means I'm a weirdo. I've also reached the age where I don't actually care anymore what people think of me so I kind of just let my "freak flag" fly. lol

I enjoy kayaking (if anyone is SoMD wants to go, I have spares!), trail biking, video games, movies, crafting, woodworking, photography, and reading. I attend school full-time for archaeology/anthropology and I am officially on summer break as of yesterday evening (woo!). I don't usually take the summer term off. I decided I needed a break from school even though I was going to attend field school this summer, and at my age, it's not like I have to rush to finish school anyway. I really wanted another year to get back into better shape before field school so I didn't make a fool of myself around all those young college kids. lol

So, if you're into friends who are weird, inked, pierced, with dyed hair, silly, sarcastic, dedicated to this health journey, and willing to be your cheerleader and pick you up when you're falling down, send me a request!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Sioranth wrote: »
    I am going to miss the 5% challenges in 2 months if they don't migrate here.

There's a great many challenges both in the Challenge board and also in Groups and of course you can start your own too!

These are some of the more active ones I'm aware of:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/129605-lose-1-pound-a-week-and-keep-it-off-2021

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10834954/just-give-me-10-days-round-153#latest

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10834340/june-2021-weight-loss-challenge#latest
  • Fancygirl76
    Fancygirl76 Posts: 14 Member
    I like your energy :) I too was on SP. I was on a long time ago for several years but stopped (you know b/c I am so smart and don't need to track)....Ha.....wrong. I do need to track. I cannot trust myself to "know when I really should stop eating". I got back on SP last month....and.......now here I am.

I just finished grad school #2. Got my MBA. haven't don't anything with it yet.

I have 50 pounds to lose. I have PCOS which makes it hard. I also have anxiety but I try to keep that under control with meditation and naps :)

I will send you a friend request. Sarcasm is my favorite language :)
  • MargeMillb
    MargeMillb Posts: 13 Member
    Hey everyone!

I'm here due to SP closing down as well. So far, I'm enjoying MFP and find everything easy to log and find as far as tracking and groups vs. main message boards. I decided to do the one-month trial with yearly membership, but the free site looks pretty great, too. I just happen to like all the data available with the paid version. I am going to miss the 5% challenges in 2 months if they don't migrate here, but I can't sit around and "wait and see" what happens with the new 360 site. I wrote a whole blog entry on global capitalism and this changeover on my SP page. I'd rather be here helping build a strong community of support.

I'm 46 and I'm growing older but I refuse to grow up. I'm neurodivergent with chronic mental health issues which are under treatment, but this basically means I'm a weirdo. I've also reached the age where I don't actually care anymore what people think of me so I kind of just let my "freak flag" fly. lol

I enjoy kayaking (if anyone is SoMD wants to go, I have spares!), trail biking, video games, movies, crafting, woodworking, photography, and reading. I attend school full-time for archaeology/anthropology and I am officially on summer break as of yesterday evening (woo!). I don't usually take the summer term off. I decided I needed a break from school even though I was going to attend field school this summer, and at my age, it's not like I have to rush to finish school anyway. I really wanted another year to get back into better shape before field school so I didn't make a fool of myself around all those young college kids. lol

So, if you're into friends who are weird, inked, pierced, with dyed hair, silly, sarcastic, dedicated to this health journey, and willing to be your cheerleader and pick you up when you're falling down, send me a request!

If you're on Facebook, there's a group started that's going to be doing some challenges. 5% challenge is one of them.
  • Sioranth
    Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

@tinkerbellang83 - Thank you for the links! I will definitely check those out.
    @Fancygirl76 - Congrats on your MBA! Are you going on for a doctoral, do you think? PCOS makes it incredibly hard to lose weight, so I admire how committed you are to your health goals. :)
    @MargeMillb - I did join the Alumni group they have up, but I am rarely on FB, just not my cup of coffee, tea, whiskey, what-have-you. :)
  • Niteman3d
    Niteman3d Posts: 157 Member
    edited June 2021
    There's another one loose in the house. I came here 'just to see'... but wow! Everything SP had and a major, major plus... you can edit the incorrect community entries on the nutrition tracker. That did it for me. The SP shutdown will probably end up being a net gain for me inasmuch as it's forcing me to update all my foods and get out of my rut of bad habits accumulated over the fifteen years I was there. I learned a lot there, but most importantly was the fact that I'm portable. I'm not dependent on any single person or thing. I'm movin' on up. Here's some rain on the Trumpet Vine this afternoon in southern PA:
    av7cd6ha0iaa.jpg
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,530 Member
    I didn't realise SP was closing! I was a member years ago and did like some of the features better than MFP (like the streaks, they're quite motivating and that is the basis of the program). But being Australian, I found that the SP food database was often irrelevant and I needed to add so many of the foods that I eventually gave up. The MFP database is bigger, I think, but you do need to be careful because a lot of the entries are wrong or incomplete! No system is perfect, I guess, but it's better than starting from scratch!

I like the forums here too, and there are a lot of member-run challenges which are fun. Some are just setting yourself goals and checking in with your progress, but there are some challenges like Hogwarts and Game of Thrones which are more prescriptive (as in, there are tasks to do each week and you compete as a team). I recommend checking out the Challenges section in the forums as you're sure to find something motivating there!
  • Sioranth
    @Niteman3d - I'm finding I'm enjoying MFP much more than I ever did SP. It might just be the novelty of it all, but I definitely like the RSS feed blogs and the larger databases. Most importantly - MFP actually imports my Garmin activity correctly which is something SP never got right.
    @TwistedSassette - There were tons of incorrect entries on SP as well for food so that's nothing new for me. lol I'll check out those challenges as well, thank you!
  • MargeMillb
    Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

@MargeMillb - I did join the Alumni group they have up, but I am rarely on FB, just not my cup of coffee, tea, whiskey, what-have-you. :)

lol Gotcha

• MargeMillb
    Niteman3d wrote: »
    There's another one loose in the house. I came here 'just to see'... but wow! Everything SP had and a major, major plus... you can edit the incorrect community entries on the nutrition tracker. That did it for me. The SP shutdown will probably end up being a net gain for me inasmuch as it's forcing me to update all my foods and get out of my rut of bad habits accumulated over the fifteen years I was there. I learned a lot there, but most importantly was the fact that I'm portable. I'm not dependent on any single person or thing. I'm movin' on up. Here's some rain on the Trumpet Vine this afternoon in southern PA:
    av7cd6ha0iaa.jpg

Great outlook!