wearing gym clothing in public ok?

Replies

• BAMarsh
    BAMarsh Posts: 72 Member

I go to a pretty liberal gym ... :laugh:

:drinker:
  • mcasprin
    mcasprin Posts: 14
    totally ok, gym clothes are SO comfortable and a lot of the time just as cute! Even if I'm super sweaty afterwards I'll still run to Target, go get a bite to eat, whatever...I don't care! Don't judge me! lol

thats the mentality i have but im tired of people looking at me when i walk into a store wearing my training gear. i always get the people who serve me asking if i have been training, it annoys me tho as i get asked that question allot even by teachers and other students.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Who cares what people think? Look what they wear to Wal-Mart! :).

^^THIS!!!!! :drinker:
    OMG.

We were at Walmart yesterday and this couple walked in right in front of us. She had her hair all done up, cute platform shoes and a really adorable dress -- and the body to carry it all off.

But the dress had a little diamond cutout in the back where you could not miss seeing the huge strap of her beige strapless bra. I mean, come on! You take the time to do yourself all up and can't be bothered to wear the right bra? Is there an unwritten rule that you can't look good at Walmart???
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    As long as they don't smell like you were just at the gym, I'm game. I'm more comfortable running errands, etc. in yoga pants and my running shoes anyways.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Just rinse the chalk off your hands, and leave the lifting belt in the car.
  • mcasprin
    mcasprin Posts: 14
    i even wear my nike running shoes as there so comfy

I ONLY wear my running shoes for running - so if I were going to classes or work or whatever, I'd have on other shoes and keep my running shoes in my gym bag until I'm ready to run

thing is for me im always on my feet i walk to my campus thats like a hour then im walking classes and i work on a shop floor and then walk to the gym ect. i spend around 80% of the time on my feet
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    i wear gym clothes to restaurants. whatever. if i just finished working out and i'm hungry, i go out and eat. no big deal. i have cute gym clothes, so that's helpful, but honestly, WHO GIVES A FLYING RAT'S PATUNIA!??!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    As long as you don't mind us looking at your bum. I would say wearing something that is showing off your stomach or something like that might not be appropriate for class, but I would definitely enjoy it if I were in the class, as long as you are as covered as you would be in your regular close I don't see the problem, but it really doesn't matter what I think is appropriate, as long as you feel comfortable with it.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    I don't see anything wrong with it unless you stink horribly. Gym clothes can actually look very good.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    All I practically wear are gym clothes. Part of my job and workout. I just make sure to change daily.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    I own a lot of tech tees from races I've done and wear them often. They're comfy, moisture wicking and no less outlandish than a typical cotton tee. So I wear them.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    I wear workout clothes in public on occasion, but it seems like you might be overtraining.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Have you been to a Whole Foods on a Saturday? I think it is the required uniform to shop there.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    As someone else mentioned, as long as you don't smell from being at the gym, then you can wear what you want, when you want.
  • jld0411
    jld0411 Posts: 29 Member
    Absolutely it's okay! There are plenty of people who wear gym clothes on a regular basis who aren't even GOING to work out. The fact that you actually GO to the gym when you're wearing your workout clothes puts you a few steps ahead of many others. :flowerforyou:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I don't "go out" in training clothes.

I will run errands before or after the gym- but I don't dress in training clothes unless I'm training. So no issue being in public in gym clothes- but I don't wear them just to hang out or go out.
  • threshkreen
    threshkreen Posts: 79 Member
    Of course, unless you wear the totally impractical kind that some young kids wear so that when they bend over their butt cheeks show and boobs almost fall out.

People - you may look great in this stuff but:

First, don't complain because guys are always hitting on you in the gym.
    Second, don't complain because women give you dirty looks in the gym.

Wear something functional that keeps you covered when you are doing over head lifts and bent over rows....you get the idea.

I know a couple people who do switch out shoes for various reasons. That seems OK...but changing before I go to the grocery? No way, I will sit and drip dry for a bit so I don't show up like I just got off the track.but that's the extent of my grooming if I need to stop on the way home.
  • As someone else mentioned, as long as you don't smell from being at the gym, then you can wear what you want, when you want.

Just to clarify, there are plenty of malodorous folks NOT wearing gym clothes. How one stinks isn't necessarily directly related to how one is dressed. The gentleman I was luckily seated next to on my flight a few weeks ago smelled so bad it was almost mythical and he was in a polo and jeans. Cripes it was like sitting next to a stench ninja. Every time I would breathe in my olfactory system was under constant attack and there was nothing I could do. I tried holding my breath but that only works for about a minute at a time.

Sorry, rant over.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I dislike going to sit down types of dinners with people for that reason- but I have no shame- I go grocery shopping at 10/11 PM after the gym- because it's empty and on my way home- it's great. I still smell- and I don't care.

You are absolutely correct- there are tons of people who stink- my drive by shopping/grabbing of food/errand running won't kill you. Clearly I was working out- deal with it LMAO
  • Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    It sounds like you might care what other people think of your appearance and say to you about it. And that's okay!

People do see you when you are out and about. And they notice when someone is dressed very differently than others in the same setting. So, if you don't want people to ask you about working out, don't wear workout clothes to other locations.

It is great that you are working out so avidly. But there are casual clothes that are comfortable and easy to change into. Yoga pants, a well fitting tee and a pair of ballet flats, for instance, are comfy, have nice lines and might make you feel more like you are dressed.

While it's not wrong to wear gym clothes outside of the gym it's also not wrong to get dressed for class or other outings. It won't take long, will raise fewer questions and you might actually like looking and feeling dressed appropriately for the setting you're in.