Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Recipes
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Black Bean recipes

mchopper1mchopper1 Member Posts: 4 Member Member Posts: 4 Member
in Recipes
I am trying to eat more protein so I bought a can of black beans. Now I don't know what to do with them. lol Would like some ideas of what you do with them. Thanks.

Replies

• AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 20,331 Member Member, Premium Posts: 20,331 Member
    I like black bean soft tacos (corn tortilla) with sweet potato chunks, a bit of some kind of calorie-efficient cheese, chopped or thin-sliced veggies (like sweet peppers, onions, whatever), salsa, maybe dab of guacamole if I have the calories, spoonful of plain nonfat Greek yogurt.

Something like tostadas is also good; frittata with beans, veggies & salsa; stew or chili; . . . .
  • goal06082021goal06082021 Member Posts: 1,096 Member Member Posts: 1,096 Member
    1. open can
    2. eat beans

Serious answer, black beans go great with things like sweet potatoes, or carnitas/barbacoa/chicken. Make DIY Chipotle bowls/salads or breakfast burritos.

I've made black bean veggie burgers by pureeing black beans with an assortment of veggies (usually some combo of carrot, mushroom, onion, bell pepper or hot pepper), spices, an egg to help bind it together and breadcrumbs for structure.

My first gourmet struggle meal in college consisted of a package of cooked, sauceless pulled pork; a can each of black beans and red beans; and the tiniest, crappiest onion you can imagine, diced up small and fried halfheartedly using my cheap-o-depot rice cooker's Saute function and some butter I stole from the dining hall. Dump everything else in, stir it up, let it simmer for like 20 minutes so the flavors can marry. Still came out delicious.
  • ehju0901ehju0901 Member Posts: 101 Member Member Posts: 101 Member
    I LOVE black beans. I think any type of burrito bowl or similar is always good. Chicken, black beans, corn, some cheese, salsa, rice/riced cauliflower, etc. Mix it in however you'd like!

I also made a black bean chili once (just googled a recipe) that turned out OK. I'd have to switch it up a bit though because it got to be a bit lackluster for me after a couple servings.
  • corinasue1143corinasue1143 Member Posts: 5,332 Member Member Posts: 5,332 Member
    I love black beans in salad. I make a salad with just lettuce, drained rinsed black beans, and Mexican-style corn. I love it!
  • mermaidnjmermaidnj Member Posts: 126 Member Member Posts: 126 Member
    Black bean and asparagus salad many recipes on line sound but I love it
    https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/black-bean-asparagus-salad/
  • corinasue1143corinasue1143 Member Posts: 5,332 Member Member Posts: 5,332 Member
    mermaidnj wrote: »
    Black bean and asparagus salad many recipes on line sound but I love it
    https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/black-bean-asparagus-salad/

Saved that recipe. Gonna try it with canned asparagus. Won’t be as crisp. Cross your fingers.
  • goal06082021goal06082021 Member Posts: 1,096 Member Member Posts: 1,096 Member
    @corinasue1143 oh, canned asparagus makes me sad :( are you sure you can't get at least frozen, if not fresh?
    I can do fresh right now. But not for long. Hadn’t thought of frozen. Will use fresh first. If I like it, maybe frozen.

Also, we haven’t yet said black bean burgers. Been a long time since I made them, so I forgot how. But they’re good, too. (And easy).
  • Toronto6fanToronto6fan Member Posts: 289 Member Member Posts: 289 Member
    Black bean salad with avocado, tomato's, corn is a fave here
  • sandielewis2001sandielewis2001 Member, Premium Posts: 38 Member Member, Premium Posts: 38 Member
    I do a taco with cubed sweet potato, black beans and quinoa. Sometimes I add soy-chorizo if I am feeling fancy.

Also love a homemade black bean burger.
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 20,331 Member Member, Premium Posts: 20,331 Member
    Tonight I made black bean nachos with Beanitos chips, onion, orange bell pepper, tomatillo salsa, cheese, a bit of guacamole, and some plain Greek yogurt. You can't see beans, but I swear they're in there (smashed). 455 calories, 26g protein, 22g fat, 43g carbs, 17g fiber.
    nfx0aahs0roy.jpg
    edited June 11
  • 33gail3333gail33 Member Posts: 778 Member Member Posts: 778 Member
    I add black beans and spinach to my scrambled eggs for breakfast.
    I also use them to make a quick taco filling, mix in some salsa and heat (use in taco shells with mexican rice and some veggies).
    Gallo pinto (rice and beans) is my black bean favorite, but depends where you are because you have to have Salsa lizano to make it. (FYI you can get it from Amazon). But I do something similar with quinoa, spinach, peppers, with black beans and nutritional yeast.
    edited June 11
  • BarbaraHelen2013BarbaraHelen2013 Member Posts: 1,561 Member Member Posts: 1,561 Member
    Here’s what I did tonight with Black Beans:

https://www.rebelrecipes.com/spiced-black-beans-turmeric-roast-cauliflower/

lmda026p32kt.jpeg

Was very good!