You've got to be kidding me.....

Options
I started tracking my calories again today and this happens....

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    LOL!
    Don't worry about it. Some days your above a tiny bit, some days a bit below. 1 calorie is nothing in the grand scheme of things. 1 calorie comes to down 0.000285714 lbs. :D
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Yep, pretty sure this falls under the 'don't sweat the small stuff'. :)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I’m always surprised how often I land exactly on my allowance. You wouldn’t think the odds would allow it, but it’s at least two or three times a month.

I attribute it to experience and eking out every last calorie I can.
  • 0atmeel
    0atmeel Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    LOL!
    Don't worry about it. Some days your above a tiny bit, some days a bit below. 1 calorie is nothing in the grand scheme of things. 1 calorie comes to down 0.000285714 lbs. :D

For sure. I was trying hard too and was like, "I can eat one more item before calling it quits". Then when I logged it, I was thinking "No freaking way"! Lol
  • 0atmeel
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Yep, pretty sure this falls under the 'don't sweat the small stuff'. :)

Indeed. I just couldn't believe it though lol.
  • 0atmeel
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    You can probably correct that over the course of the next week by reducing your intake by 1/7 of a calorie each day. 😆

Lol for sure!
  • 0atmeel
    Options
    I’m always surprised how often I land exactly on my allowance. You wouldn’t think the odds would allow it, but it’s at least two or three times a month.

I attribute it to experience and eking out every last calorie I can.

That is crazy! This is the first time it's happened to me.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I don’t think I’ve ever hit exactly my calorie goal. I’m always a little over. Probably why my weight stays about the same.
  • mikethewriter
    mikethewriter Posts: 18 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I also face this problem of constant weight even after following a proper diet. Don't know how?
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don’t think I’ve ever hit exactly my calorie goal. I’m always a little over. Probably why my weight stays about the same.

I don't know how I've done it, but I've hit it bang on several times without trying. Always a good day - like when the shopping comes exactly to a round number with nothing after the decimal lol.
  • yirara
    Options
    A little over doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. See the calculation I did above. Logging thoroughly in grams and choosing correct database entries is crucial though. using cups and spoons is not precise in almost all situations, and neither is trusting packaging information.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I guestimate some things . . .usually I inflate the amounts I eat. For example my cooked chicken breast weighed 3.7 oz so I wrote 4 oz in MFP. Some times I'm over. . as in I logged 1.2 oz of cheese as 1 oz so if my calories are within 100 of what they "should" be I'm at peace with that. When I'm good & weigh everything in grams it's one thing but for me eye balling is not the problem. Most times I know where I went wrong, like that 2nd drink last night. I also know the weight comes off when I ramp up the exercise. Boosting that metabolism is important.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    Trish1c wrote: »
    I guestimate some things . . .usually I inflate the amounts I eat. For example my cooked chicken breast weighed 3.7 oz so I wrote 4 oz in MFP. Some times I'm over. . as in I logged 1.2 oz of cheese as 1 oz so if my calories are within 100 of what they "should" be I'm at peace with that. When I'm good & weigh everything in grams it's one thing but for me eye balling is not the problem. Most times I know where I went wrong, like that 2nd drink last night. I also know the weight comes off when I ramp up the exercise. Boosting that metabolism is important.

Weigh that meat before cooking it! I’ve found that cooked meats generally weight about 2/3 of raw. They add a ton of water weight to meats these days. Calling 3.7oz cooked 4 oz raw is under-estimating. Not a lot, but trifling things add up.

My mantra is accurate weighing and honest logging, otherwise you’re just fooling yourself.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options

Weigh that meat before cooking it! I’ve found that cooked meats generally weight about 2/3 of raw. They add a ton of water weight to meats these days. Calling 3.7oz cooked 4 oz raw is under-estimating. Not a lot, but trifling things add up.

My mantra is accurate weighing and honest logging, otherwise you’re just fooling yourself.

They don't necessarily add fluids to meat....meat is partially liquid added by um....Nature.

Cooking does cause evaporation.
  • yirara
    Options

It depends a lot on the country. The calorie information on the packaging should probably be leading then. If for example I look at a pork tenderloin with the addition Gourmet, then it's with water and the calories per 100gr are lower than one without this addition. No idea why rubbished meat is called Gourmet here, but that's a different question. Weighing raw is probably the way to go though as the type of cooking influences the weight of meat, and especially if water and other stuff is added.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Don't lose the forest through the trees
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    DD265 wrote: »

I don't know how I've done it, but I've hit it bang on several times without trying. Always a good day - like when the shopping comes exactly to a round number with nothing after the decimal lol.

Right! I tend to make a glance to the ceiling, waiting for balloons or confetti to drop... ;)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Simplez fix: Do the 2 calorie workout. One minute of "Stretching, Hatha Yoga" in the exercise database is 2 calories for me, and I'm not very big, so if you're bigger (and you're certainly male-er so likely higher BMR) you can probably do 30 seconds and be even up calorically. 😉
  • julsmarshall
    julsmarshall Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Wait, are we supposed to weight meat before or after we cook it?