Our culture is set up for obesity.

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    That's just a complicated way of saying your priorities lie elsewhere. And that's fine.

But it's certainly not the job of "culture" to compensate for that.

Same goes for me and for everyone else.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    It's totally a cultural issue. I don't think any other country (well, Canada maybe) even lets you take leftovers home. I've never seen it in Europe at least... and portions were much smaller there.

I also don't know anybody where I am coming from who claims to be able to slap together "miracle recipes" in minutes flat (including prep, cleaning up, distributing leftovers in containers, etc) - which recipes are also tasty, healthy, fresh, all natural, etc. Definitely not for an entire family!
    You think something quick is a miracle? Fish takes 5-10 minutes to cook, fruit requires chopping, there are tons of quick veggies or sides - and even if something isn't quick on it's own, like soup, prep time is still short. Maybe we just need to introduce you to this miraculous thing called a crock pot.

I have all the kitchen gadgets I will ever need.
    No nutritious and tasty meal for a family of four (that my kids would eat too!) is quick enough for me to leave me with ample time for all of my other commitments and obligations.

Let's leave it here, OK?

If you cannot do it in a reasonable amount of time, then maybe you should consider cooking courses.

And you keep talking about how constrained on time you are, yet you have been here for...two hours now? Could have done quite a bit of meal prep in that time. Just sayin'.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I love when restaurants give me massive sized portions... I get lunch for the next few days!
  • wisdomfromyou
    wisdomfromyou Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Given how many people here argue that American culture has nothing to do with obesity (only poor individual choices do), then how in the world do they explain Americans on average being so fat compared to other parts of the world?

With this logic, we infer that Americans are much more likely to make poor choices (that is they are non-virtuous) compared to people in other parts of the world who must be so much more virtuous.

And if that is so, isn't this self-whipping and self-blame?

So you do believe that many Americans are inherently worse than other people elsewhere?
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    No nutritious and tasty meal for a family of four (that my kids would eat too!) is quick enough for me to leave me with ample time for all of my other commitments and obligations.

Let's leave it here, OK?
    You are far too busy to cook but have plenty of time to post 10k word posts on an internet post. Or alternately your kids are way too picky. Gotcha.
  • whierd
    Options
    Given how many people here argue that American culture has nothing to do with obesity (only poor individual choices do), then how in the world do they explain Americans on average being so fat compared to other parts of the world?

With this logic, we infer that Americans are much more likely to make poor choices (that is they are non-virtuous) compared to people in other parts of the world who must be so much more virtuous.

So you do believe that many Americans are inherently worse than other people elsewhere?

Culture reflects the choices and values of a collection of individuals. Nutritional choices have nothing to do with "virtue".

The logic of this post is rather poor.

But I am pretty sure you have me on ignore, so meh.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Delete. No point.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options

I personally have only myself to blame for the shape I am in today. On that same note, I know full well that I am the only one who can fix it. I think a lot of people look for someone to blame instead of taking that responsibility themselves. To me, it's just irresponsible.

But that is just my opinion. Obviously you and I don't agree, but that is okay...
  • SHHitsKaty
    SHHitsKaty Posts: 301
    Options
    Just because someone puts a massive portion of something in front of you means that you need to eat all of it.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    If I go to a restaurant and pay $20+ for an entree, there had better be plenty of food on that plate.

Specious argument is specious.

They could serve a smaller plate for $10.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    It's totally a cultural issue. I don't think any other country (well, Canada maybe) even lets you take leftovers home. I've never seen it in Europe at least... and portions were much smaller there.

My anecdote - eating all I wanted from what I ordered for myself, then getting another meal for two out of the leftovers - happened in the UK, where I live. It's not that rare over here.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the comments.

This is what you do. First check the nutritional info in advance if you can, get an idea of the menu and options. And/or choose things in such a way that you know it is nutrient dense and less caloric. Ask for changes such as, "no mayo", for example.

Then eat half of your meal (or as much as you need to be fed and within your understanding of what a portion size should be). Then ask for a take-home container. Pack it up, bring it home, put it in the fridge. Hooray, lunch tomorrow!!! Two meals for the price of one! Woo Hoo!!!
  • wisdomfromyou
    wisdomfromyou Posts: 198 Member
    Options

I also don't know anybody where I am coming from who claims to be able to slap together "miracle recipes" in minutes flat (including prep, cleaning up, distributing leftovers in containers, etc) - which recipes are also tasty, healthy, fresh, all natural, etc. Definitely not for an entire family!
    You think something quick is a miracle? Fish takes 5-10 minutes to cook, fruit requires chopping, there are tons of quick veggies or sides - and even if something isn't quick on it's own, like soup, prep time is still short. Maybe we just need to introduce you to this miraculous thing called a crock pot.

Let's leave it here, OK?

If you cannot do it in a reasonable amount of time, then maybe you should consider cooking courses.

And you keep talking about how constrained on time you are, yet you have been here for...two hours now? Could have done quite a bit of meal prep in that time. Just sayin'.

Don't be saying it because you know this is a weak argument. Of course I shouldn't be wasting time like this - and this is exactly why I am usually not here. :-)
    Today I made this "wrong" choice because I care about the topic - I am taking responsibility for it as my cooking and a few other things happen to be done for the day. You will not see me here on a regular basis though.

You will see me on my other obligations on a regular basis. See?

Again - weak.
  • whierd
    Options
    Where was my argument? :huh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Um ... no.

Making poor food choices does not make one less virtuous or 'worse' than anyone else. Food aside, there are many other cultural aspects in America that set one up for obesity. Countries that are adopting our lifestyle are quickly following our footsteps to obesity.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Culture reflects the choices and values of a collection of individuals. Nutritional choices have nothing to do with "virtue".

The logic of this post is rather poor.

But I am pretty sure you have me on ignore, so meh.

Yeah, I have to agree, if you think that portion control is the determining factor for virtuousness...that's a problem imo. I'd work on that issue, if I were you, and I really mean this to be helpful.

Yes, people are responsible for their own choices and how they deal with abundance. They aren't victims to abundance.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    ...and who told you that I walk in restaurants that serve large portions? Who told you I walk in any restaurants period?

Well, if you don't, then there no issue.

Either way, problem solved.

No, it's not solved. Because the influence of the American culture on obesity does not boil down to going or not going to eat at the restaurant. See how the problem is NOT solved yet? :-)

It is solved for me. I'm sorry that you still have a problem with food and time management. Just work on them. You'll get better.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Where was my argument? :huh:

Lol! It's way too hard to argue with logic... :flowerforyou:
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the comments.

This is what you do. First check the nutritional info in advance if you can, get an idea of the menu and options. And/or choose things in such a way that you know it is nutrient dense and less caloric. Ask for changes such as, "no mayo", for example.

Then eat half of your meal (or as much as you need to be fed and within your understanding of what a portion size should be). Then ask for a take-home container. Pack it up, bring it home, put it in the fridge. Hooray, lunch tomorrow!!! Two meals for the price of one! Woo Hoo!!!

But what you are implying is that we should be responsible for our choices. Don't you think it would make more sense for government to impose laws on business owners to understand customer's dietary needs and be responsible to make their choices for them?
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! I don't think it helps either when your parents tell you 'eat all that's on your plate- don't be rude!'

My kids get served veggies first....they know if they dont eat their veggies or salad then the main course can wait until they do. But I never make them clean their plate. I was struggling for a while because they would leave the veggies there but ask for more chicken ?? My parents did that and some nights I remember my belly hurting from too much food.