Our culture is set up for obesity.

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Must we always blame someone or something for our own lack of control? I LIKE the large portions and the ability to take some home for lunch the next day.

xthumb.gif
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    You can say no!! We went to Red Lobster for dinner on Saturday night, the plate I got was the Wood-fire grilled shrimp, lobster and scallops, which also came with rice pilaf and 1 other side and a salad, I did not get the side nor the salad and did not dip the seafood in butter. So the meal was 500 calories and I had 2 biscuits 150 calories each, total 800 calories!!!

Just to add for lunch we went to a sandwich cafe, had a multi-grain roasted turkey sandwich (half size), with lettuce, tomato and brown mustard, homemade potato chips and small bowl of fruit. Total 597 calories!!

For breakfast I had a WaWa gas station, old fashion donut, approx. 250 calories!!

Total for the day: 1647 calories

Not many veggie servings in that day, though.
    So? Not everyone cares about veggies.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! I don't think it helps either when your parents tell you 'eat all that's on your plate- don't be rude!'

Sounds like an excuse to me... I'd rather be rude and healthy than polite and not be able to fit through doorways.
    When it's been pounded into you from the time you were born, it isn't so easy to take that attitude.

I get that. But at some point you become an adult, you're able to think for yourself, and you're responsible for your own actions.
    This is true. But some things are more easily said than done.

My mother used to eat entire loaves of bread when no one was around to see her do it. She ate in secret all the time. There is something very not normal about that and very out of control. Put it in terms of getting out of a long-term relationship. You may know it's over. You may even accept it. That person may have been TERIBLE for you, but you know that at any point if he or she wanted you back, you'd go.

Or people who jump from one terrible relationship to another, even though they know better, but they miss all the signs because they have blinders on for whatever reason. I don't think any of this is something someone can truly understand who hasn't personally gone through it. And even someone who has and has overcome it must understand how difficult that it.

When food and emotions and psychology are so intertwined, there's more than, "You're an adult and can control yourself," going on.

No there isn't. Food and emotion are incredibly intertwined for me. I have and incredibly unhealthy relationship with food. I eat for the wrong reasons almost every day. You know those nice little break-apart cookies that Pillsbury is so nice to sell? I eat those on the way home from the grocery store. Yes, the whole package. I've done the same with Little Debby Nutty bars, bags of jelly beans, etc. And that's before I go through a pint of ben and jerry's in a sitting while waiting for the loaf of lemon poppy bread in the oven to finish baking.

I don't blame my parents. I don't blame Pillsbury. I blame me. Is it harder for me to eat properly because of how I tie food to mood? Absolutely. But it's still on me. Everyone has challenges to overcome, this is mine (or at least one of mine).
    I'm not saying blame parents or food manufacturers. I'm saying that it is a complicated issue and it isn't EASY. Clearly, it isn't if you continue buying those things and eating them.

There are a few things that I can't control myself with. Specifically, I will eat an entire package of Oreo Fudgees and I CANNOT just have a little bit of Moose Tracks ice cream.

So I don't buy those things. I have a fairly healthy relationship with food so I am able to just not bring those into my house. You, though, knowing you can't control yourself, continue buying those things. Why? Because it isn't as simple as you keep insisting it is.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    The clever marketing strategies that sold the idea that "more is good" and led to the fat epidemic

Here is the history of bigger portion and the profits earned by big food. Great Entertainment.

The Men who Made us Fat Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLNbwNMtXQ0
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am all for personal responsibility when it comes to weight loss. But, one has to acknowledge how crazily our culture is set up in making it an upstream swim much of the time.

When looking through menu's of restaurants (those that have them, and thank you NYC at least for that) I can't help but notice how out of whack portion sizes are.

Most dishes contain close to your daily allowance of calories. An appetizer can contain a whole day's calories. If, like a good customer, you are to get an appetizer, entree and a desert (and a drink), you can easily eat 3 days worth of calories in one meal.

I am not saying that is is not my responsibility to look at that info (when they have it!) and plan my meals accordingly.
    But this pattern is so prevalent everywhere! It re-trains you how to view "normal".

But it is not something universal and unavoidable in any society. On my trips to Japan, I used to attribute small portion sizes you get in restaurants to the cost of food being much higher. Only now, after I've trained myself to recognize what a normal portion is supposed to be, it dawned on me -- Japanese portion sizes are not small! They are exactly what they are supposed to be. They are normal. I could eat out 3 times a day there and simply maintain my weight.

I don't know how we got sold the myth of "value" here. Where there is "value" in less fresh, less nutritious, more processed food, as long as there is MORE of it.
    There is no value in getting 4,000 calories for your dinner when you only need 700. Every calorie after that does not do anything good for you.

On my recent trip to New Orleans, when I asked for people's recommendations for restaurants, I would get same comment from more than one person -- people rave about restaurants, because the portions are "MASSIVE". I felt that it would be a waste of time to explain to them that "massive" is not necessarily what I am looking for in a meal.

You'll be happy to know that many new places are opting for the small plates format. But it's more a money grab then effort to cut cals per meal
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I completely agree! I don't think it helps either when your parents tell you 'eat all that's on your plate- don't be rude!'

Sounds like an excuse to me... I'd rather be rude and healthy than polite and not be able to fit through doorways.
    When it's been pounded into you from the time you were born, it isn't so easy to take that attitude.

I get that. But at some point you become an adult, you're able to think for yourself, and you're responsible for your own actions.
    This is true. But some things are more easily said than done.

My mother used to eat entire loaves of bread when no one was around to see her do it. She ate in secret all the time. There is something very not normal about that and very out of control. Put it in terms of getting out of a long-term relationship. You may know it's over. You may even accept it. That person may have been TERIBLE for you, but you know that at any point if he or she wanted you back, you'd go.

Or people who jump from one terrible relationship to another, even though they know better, but they miss all the signs because they have blinders on for whatever reason. I don't think any of this is something someone can truly understand who hasn't personally gone through it. And even someone who has and has overcome it must understand how difficult that it.

When food and emotions and psychology are so intertwined, there's more than, "You're an adult and can control yourself," going on.

No there isn't. Food and emotion are incredibly intertwined for me. I have and incredibly unhealthy relationship with food. I eat for the wrong reasons almost every day. You know those nice little break-apart cookies that Pillsbury is so nice to sell? I eat those on the way home from the grocery store. Yes, the whole package. I've done the same with Little Debby Nutty bars, bags of jelly beans, etc. And that's before I go through a pint of ben and jerry's in a sitting while waiting for the loaf of lemon poppy bread in the oven to finish baking.

I don't blame my parents. I don't blame Pillsbury. I blame me. Is it harder for me to eat properly because of how I tie food to mood? Absolutely. But it's still on me. Everyone has challenges to overcome, this is mine (or at least one of mine).
    I'm not saying blame parents or food manufacturers. I'm saying that it is a complicated issue and it isn't EASY. Clearly, it isn't if you continue buying those things and eating them.

There are a few things that I can't control myself with. Specifically, I will eat an entire package of Oreo Fudgees and I CANNOT just have a little bit of Moose Tracks ice cream.

So I don't buy those things. I have a fairly healthy relationship with food so I am able to just not bring those into my house. You, though, knowing you can't control yourself, continue buying those things. Why? Because it isn't as simple as you keep insisting it is.

I never said it was easy... I said it isn't complicated. It's not about other people catering to our weaknesses, it's about us overcoming them.

I'm still responsible for my actions. I'm not going to ask the grocery store to stop selling cookie dough.

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I never said it was easy... I said it isn't complicated. It's not about other people catering to our weaknesses, it's about us overcoming them.

I never said it wasn't. I simply said it isn't that simple or easy. So I'm not sure why you're arguing with me.
    I'm still responsible for my actions. I'm not going to ask the grocery store to stop selling cookie dough.

Go look over all my responses and show me one place I said they should stop selling it.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I never eat a starter or dessert.

I just tell people that I'd rather enjoy my main than throw up later. :)
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I am all for personal responsibility when it comes to weight loss. But, one has to acknowledge how crazily our culture is set up in making it an upstream swim much of the time.

When looking through menu's of restaurants (those that have them, and thank you NYC at least for that) I can't help but notice how out of whack portion sizes are.

Most dishes contain close to your daily allowance of calories. An appetizer can contain a whole day's calories. If, like a good customer, you are to get an appetizer, entree and a desert (and a drink), you can easily eat 3 days worth of calories in one meal.

I am not saying that is is not my responsibility to look at that info (when they have it!) and plan my meals accordingly.
    But this pattern is so prevalent everywhere! It re-trains you how to view "normal".

But it is not something universal and unavoidable in any society. On my trips to Japan, I used to attribute small portion sizes you get in restaurants to the cost of food being much higher. Only now, after I've trained myself to recognize what a normal portion is supposed to be, it dawned on me -- Japanese portion sizes are not small! They are exactly what they are supposed to be. They are normal. I could eat out 3 times a day there and simply maintain my weight.

I don't know how we got sold the myth of "value" here. Where there is "value" in less fresh, less nutritious, more processed food, as long as there is MORE of it.
    There is no value in getting 4,000 calories for your dinner when you only need 700. Every calorie after that does not do anything good for you.

On my recent trip to New Orleans, when I asked for people's recommendations for restaurants, I would get same comment from more than one person -- people rave about restaurants, because the portions are "MASSIVE". I felt that it would be a waste of time to explain to them that "massive" is not necessarily what I am looking for in a meal.

You'll be happy to know that many new places are opting for the small plates format. But it's more a money grab then effort to cut cals per meal

More and more places also seem to be offering full and half sizes of many entrees.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    You know you can control what you eat at home...right?

This.

I always share my meal with my toddler if she is there and if she isn't I ask for a box with my food and box half of it up immediately.

You have to be your own advocate because at the end of the day you are responsible for yourself.

I think she is just commenting on the history of society in terms of the increase in portion sizes of the last 60 years and the increase in our waistline.

I don't think she is using it as an excuse to eat what ever she wants. or blaming anyone else.

She makes valid points.

Saying that her point is valid over and over does not make it more valid.

Are restaurant serving sizes bigger these days and/or contain more calories? Yes.
    Are people eating out more often than they used to? Yes.
    Can people make their own decisons about whether or not to eat out and what to order if they do? Yes.

My issue with calling it a Cultural Issue is that it tends to lessen the responsibility of the individual. It is not a culture or a restaurant's responsibility to keep me fit if I am not prudent enough to be aware of what I am eating.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Yummy, yummy tapas. The problem for me with those places is if they price the plates too low, I eat 20 of them.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

You don't have to eat all of it.

You know... I have a theory on this that would be perfect for a grad-level paper if I were studying nutrition.

Personally, I think the compulsion to eat all the food on the plate comes from the "clean-your-plate-there-are-starving-children-in-Africa" approach to parenting. Of course, this stems from the post-Depression era when food may or may not be readily available.
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I know people who love restaurants because of the ability to take stuff home. that being said, I also know people who feel some need to consume as much as possible. I was once planning a small gathering with two other people. The one wanted to order 2 large pizzas. I said that there were only three of us and one pizza will do, especially if we order bread sticks too. His reaction was "But I can eat at least half a pizza." While that may be true, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I don't think our culture is set up for obesity because of restaurants though. There are usually at least a few healthy options every place you go. It's more about our holidays and how we gather. Every holiday from Christmas to labor day seems to require massive amounts of food - and usually not very healthy food. If you get together for a birthday, or to celebrate a graduation or to just hang out after a long week - food is what the gathering revolves around. It's just a fact. So, in that sense, yes, maybe we are set up for obesity. But, we can take personal responsibility and realize that every single holiday and gathering does not mean you have to eat all that you can.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

Massive is AWESOME... it means not only do I get dinner that night, but I get lunch the next day too!

Just because it comes to you as a single meal doesn't mean you have to eat it all, or all in 1 meal.

You and several posters are absolutely correct in so far as someone does not have to eat those huge portions. However, that was not the OP's point. Her point is that such portion distortion will teach a whole country ( especially if that distortion goes on for a generation or more ) a wrong perception of what a " normal " portion looks like. As we know, the majority of people eat what is put in front of them. They are not all MFPers.
    I bet most restaurants offer those sizes so people eat them. They don't think " Oh, we will serve people 2-3 times what they need , so they can have two more meals at home and don't need to cook "
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If a typical dinner portion only contained half of what I needed, that's exactly what I would do. In fact, if I regularly order two chicken breasts or a steak and a chicken breast. This is how adults solve problems. They don't whine about how the rules of society should be changed.

Totally. Adults don't think about society. Adults are all like, hey man f'k everyone else.

Really? You're equating the belief that people should take responsibility for their own dietary choices with a complete disregard for society as a whole? That's not a gargantuan leap at all, in case you were wondering.

They're not competing choices. We're on a website that provides computer-assisted eating. It's a great tool, even though there are a whole lot of people who don't need it. Getting high and mighty about personal choice when using a tool to control diet is one approach to take. The other might be to recognize there are a lot of people out there not using a tool, and doubling portion size is having a direct impact on intake. That leads to societal problems such as widespread obesity - which we end up paying for with taxes, increased transportation costs, etc.

We can control what we eat perfectly, and still think about the impacts of portion sizes on a macro level. Approaching the problem with a raspberry and "personal control" mantra is very easy but not particularly thoughtful. Can't fix things here, but we can recognize and acknowledge.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options

Who are you to decide how many calories I need for dinner? I regularly eat 1600 calories at dinner.

If I go to a restaurant and pay $20+ for an entree, there had better be plenty of food on that plate. If you don't want all of it, you CAN take some of it home with you. If you can't control your impulses at restaurants, don't eat out. But lay off on suggesting that our "culture" should be set up with the lowest common denominator in mind. How about just try harder?

It is amazing how people want to make any post personal. Where did I suggest that I can't control myself and need to "try harder"? I am size 2 and quite fit, if you must know.

That does not mean that what we have as a food culture today is normal or healthy, or how it should be.

Obviously, this food industry system is not working out for the majority of the population.

And my point was that it is not like that in all societies.

Sure, I can be a hermit and always eat at home. The fact that something ridiculous can be done to avoid a problem, is not an indicator that there is no problem. For example, I can buy a piece of land somewhere far far from NYC and get a cow and someone to take care of it. However, that should not be my only option in getting a growth hormone-free milk for my child. (Yes, I know you can buy such milk, this is an example). But some people seem to suggest that if something at all can be done to "solve" a problem for yourself, it means there is no problem.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I never said it wasn't. I simply said it isn't that simple or easy. So I'm not sure why you're arguing with me.

Go look over all my responses and show me one place I said they should stop selling it.

You made a comment earlier about "when it's been pounded into your head", as if that was an excuse. It's not. That's my only point.

No, you didn't. That was in reference to the general feel of the OP, that because it was too many cals for her, it's somehow wrong or unfair.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    in to read later....
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

You don't have to eat all of it.

^^^ this. I have never been able to finish off a plate of food when eating out at a sit down restuarant... And more often then not, I take the rest home for the next day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Saying that her point is valid over and over does not make it more valid.

Are restaurant serving sizes bigger these days and/or contain more calories? Yes.
    Are people eating out more often than they used to? Yes.
    Can people make their own decisons about whether or not to eat out and what to order if they do? Yes.

My issue with calling it a Cultural Issue is that it tends to lessen the responsibility of the individual. It is not a culture or a restaurant's responsibility to keep me fit if I am not prudent enough to be aware of what I am eating.

How does saying something is a cultural issue lessen personal responsibility? Overcoming something cultural can be difficult, but overcoming it doesn't make it less of a cultural issue.