A Broken Man, But Better...

Options

Replies

• accebersmith
    accebersmith Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    How remarkably brave of you to share this story with us. That can't have been easy. Thank you for opening up. I, too, went through a period of agoraphobia as a result of a traumatic experience, and I know exactly the struggle it is to come out of it. I am so proud of your hard work and your dedication to improving your health and your life. Please keep us posted on your progress; I can't wait to see how your continued hard work pays off.
    250066 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    minimal negative feedback
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you! Thank you for taking so MANY steps forward and for sharing your story.
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Life can be very difficult at times for the best of us. you have made huge strides in addressing your physical health challenges. I am sending positive vibes you can improve your mental health to a point where interacting with others is not so painful and frightening. Maybe start by looking at your gym for a workout buddy. Not too much interaction while working out, but small talk between sets/reps or equipment. Thank you for being so vulnerable and willing to interact this way.
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Keep on going, keep trying, and living. That is the best we can do. Hugs to you.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    What a courageous man you are. Thanks so much for sharing your story. Please keep us updated as you regain your health and vitality if that is comfortable for you <3 Wishing you the very best as you continue on your way to health and finding your joy.
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing and becoming a part of this community. It's a great start.
  • dethstar77
    dethstar77 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    This is beyond inspiring! Great job stepping out of your box and sharing... Baby steps! More power to you!
  • BendableButMendable
    BendableButMendable Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    250066 wrote: »
    minimal negative feedback

This made me chuckle. Thank you for that.
  • BEE3FAM
    BEE3FAM Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The article you wrote about your journey was well written and your expressions were what we all can relate to.
    It seems you had a goal to make a significant physical change and you accomplished that, the weight loss is only the beginning!
    Set your next goal to venture (Safely) out and LIVE AGAIN! Don't let fears or doubts, guilt or shame keep you from living your best life because we all have a short time period that vanishes way too quickly.
    Wishing you the best and Congratulations on accomplishing your first goal, now on to the Next! :)
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    I send you support and caring thoughts. My boyfriend and I both discovered various traumas from the past and with therapy, meds, love and support, we're working through them and getting to a better point. I wish you healing, and know that it's hard work. I believe you can do this too.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Glad you had a good time at the park! Being outdoors in nature and in the sun really can be a big mood lifter. Being around other people, too - even if we aren't interacting. I commend you for seeking out therapy, too.
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Great job so far and having the courage to post! It is an inspiration!
  • steviedeannz1
    steviedeannz1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    wishing you victory after victory and success after success!

I sure hope you keep us all posted...we're kind of on this journey with you now as well. :smiley:
  • ShatteredLady
    ShatteredLady Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I wish you the best with your therapy. I’ve only been going for the last three months or so but I know that opening up about these things can be like ripping open a wound. The day after therapy is generally very difficult for me for that reason. After making my first post yesterday and reading all the replies today has been a struggle for me and I’ve had a hard time reigning in my emotions. I’m not ashamed to say that I’ve shed a few tears today due to some of the responses I’ve received, including yours. I think that will get easier over time, but I know that it is an uphill journey.

I am happy that you have at least some people in your life to be there for you. I would only ask that if you have other people that are willing to be there for you when you are struggling that you try to extend them some trust. Having people that are willing to be there when it’s not all sunshine and roses is something that should not be taken for granted. I’m not saying that’s what your situation is, but you said it’s something you have a hard time with. I’m not just saying that either, I have actually tried to follow my own advice on that. A few times over the last couple of years I reached out to people that I once considered friends and told them how bad things were for me and asked for help. I was told more than once that I wasn’t their problem and to get in touch when I got better. I can’t tell you what I’d do to have someone willing to be there for me. So if you have that opportunity please don’t let fear stop you from reaching for it. If I misunderstood your statement or am speaking out of turn I apologize, but it felt important to say.

Thanks for your reply. I just wanted to address a couple of things that you said that really touched my heart...

First- day after therapy blues is real. It's hard facing, confronting and learning to accept and deal with past traumas and how they can affect us today. It's been that way every time I go to therapy. I kind of get pumped up immediately after therapy but then become severely morose as I linger on things shared, problems and different possible solutions. I tend to find myself become (for some reason I still don't understand)- stubborn about changing. Like actively stubborn. Kind of angry that someone wants me to be someone other than "me". The "Eeyore" me. The sad/anxiety/untrusting me. Well, I don't like being that me either! lol... But I find that anger dissipates a little over time.
    I am sorry that you shed tears so frequently while going through the posts. But that only means that you are seeking help and perhaps have found a group of people with whom you share interests and pain and know that life isn't always going to be a walk in the park. It's refreshing sometimes to feel for others too. It makes ya know you're human and have an empathetic heart.

The other thing I want to briefly touch on -(lol, as if I am ever brief)- is the things you said about my trust issues. You are correct. It is one of my real problems. I know I've hurt my partner because I get too wrapped inside my anxiety. I try to tell him that I love him and it isn't his fault, but he would "feel" more loved if I could show trust a little more. I am working on that in my own therapy right now. You know what, your words opened my eyes a little too, because they come from a place where you were trying to be open, honest and reaching out to find support and no one cared enough to reach back for your hand to pull you beside them and simply be there with you as you talk or perhaps just feel the comfort of quiet companionship. I realize I am lucky in this regard. My partner is my world in every sense of that word. He has stuck with me through so much...

I wanted to say thank you. You were paying attention there, seeing that trust issue thing as more than a passing comment. It is a main point and focus in my life right now.

Also, I hope that you will find some deeper friends when you can. Your gym seems like a good place to meet some like minded people to maybe get to know better (maybe if more people will become fully vaccinated, I am also a germaphobe too and have panic attacks about that issue a lot). But even online and here too. Find some small group that you don't mind chatting with, even me if you want.. although I have to admit, I get (LOL) "tight lipped" sometimes. (I am laughing so hard right now, you don't even know)... When I have something to say, Imma say it. If I am feeling something really negative though, Imma swallow it and hold it down for as long as possible until I explode and no one knows what made me "crazy all of a sudden". I like talking with you on here though. And wouldn't mind if you friended me. I would accept that. I usually don't accept friend requests. (trust and all).

Anyway, have a good night. or day... whatever it is where you are. I understand if you don't want to friend me. I wouldn't.. (lol). Take care. I appreciate the time you've taken to read through my weirdo thoughts and rough journey. It's not always pretty, but I try to be as honest as I can be without becoming (hopefully) too overwhelming for others all at once.
    -Heather
  • srisridhar9411
    srisridhar9411 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! please keep the journey in other areas of your life also. Best wishes for it.
  • kellibee2000
    kellibee2000 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you so much for taking the risk to post. Your experience is so inspiring because it is so honest about mental health and how that connects to physical health. I wish you all the best in your continuing journey!💜
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!