Remind me why I shouldn't eat too few calories

Options
2»

Replies

• wanderingarcher
    wanderingarcher Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :) I'm feeling better now. I think I'll go eat something.

Glad you've decided to eat something but since you brought it up... What about eating too few calories tempts you?
    Is it the perceived notion that this will somehow be of more benefit you? Because, it won't.

You know, I've been wondering that all day. I think that basically there is a fear that I will lose control again and start eating too much. Irrational, really. Because the second reason is that it actually is hard to eat enough calories, especially now that I'm incorporating a lot more cal-burning workouts in my routine.

Thanks for the reminders of high-cal snacks that are simple to consume. Got me craving the Coconut Bliss again. :)

Really, I know why it's not good for me. Yes, needed to just make the choice. But it's so nice to hear other people confirm it as true. :)

Thanks for the reminders!

ps. Hair falling out... yes, that's right...btdt...ugh
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Glad you've decided to eat something but since you brought it up... What about eating too few calories tempts you?
    Is it the perceived notion that this will somehow be of more benefit you? Because, it won't.

Im not sure about the reason for op but for me it is so tempting to drop lbs fast. And 1200 cals have been ingrained in my head for years. So its also alittle scary to up cals for me. BUT I am not going that low. This is just my reason for why dropping my cals is tempting sometimes.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Food = Fuel.

You know when you have a battery operated shaver, and the batteries start to die, and it runs slower and slower? Not feeding yourself enough makes your body like that. It might still be working, sort of, but not at optimal performance. You need to charge the batteries. Eat the foodz.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why anyone would be tempted to eat too few calories. I eat at least 2,600 per day. And lost the majority of my 75 pounds eating 2,000+ per day. Why in the world would I eat half that when I don't have to?

Do you water down the gasoline before you put it in your car? Probably not. Can it run when it's on that big red E? Nope. Your body can't either. Eat food. Lift weights or do bodyweight lifts. Be strong and healthy.
  • wanderingarcher
    Options

Im not sure about the reason for op but for me it is so tempting to drop lbs fast. And 1200 cals have been ingrained in my head for years. So its also alittle scary to up cals for me. BUT I am not going that low. This is just my reason for why dropping my cals is tempting sometimes.

Yep. That. Ingrained 1500 cal when I really feel (my body feels) like I need more right now.

I found this helpful thread along with several others; thanks for all the great info on here!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options

You know, I've been wondering that all day. I think that basically there is a fear that I will lose control again and start eating too much. Irrational, really. Because the second reason is that it actually is hard to eat enough calories, especially now that I'm incorporating a lot more cal-burning workouts in my routine.

Eat enough, continue to exercise, get adequate rest, see progress. You've got this. Don't get caught up in the notion that less food = faster progress; that is not always the case. Be smart about it. Slow(er) progress is still progress. :wink:
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options

I always shy away from posts with that deal with hard and fast numbers like the 1200 calories you referred to because I can't speak on whether or not that is "right" for a specific person at any given time. That number may be appropriate for you, or someone else. It may not. It may be enough for some, it may not.

Opting to eat "too few" though, says that you know the amount you're eating isn't enough, and that's a whole 'nother issue.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to? I prefer to eat more to lose weight.

yea me too.
    I like eating past my energy expenditure to lose weight.
  • wanderingarcher
    Options

Eat enough, continue to exercise, get adequate rest, see progress. You've got this. Don't get caught up in the notion that less food = faster progress; that is not always the case. Be smart about it. Slow(er) progress is still progress. :wink:

Thanks-- that's the temptation-- to think less=faster weight loss.
  • wanderingarcher
    Options

yea me too.
    I like eating past my energy expenditure to lose weight.

Can you expound for me?
    I am still trying to understand this concept.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    To be reminded......look at the other thousand eating too few calories post in the forums:bigsmile:
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    It's sooo tempting....

Amen, I'm there right now. I just dropped 3lbs, yes I'm going thru some stressful times right now, so at least I know it's not going to last
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    To be reminded......look at the other thousand eating too few calories post in the forums:bigsmile:

^^^ That's all you have to do. :)

Want results? Look at people who have what you DON'T want and simply do the opposite. I discovered this at the gym when I noticed all the soft people doing hours of cardio and everyone who was in shape was 'over there' lifting. :)
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Cuz you'll be a hungry, grumpy b*tch. And you don't have to eat ridiculously low calories to lose weight and look great so why would you?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

Thanks-- that's the temptation-- to think less=faster weight loss.

we can't change how you're thinking.. though. That's just it. You have to reprogram that.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options

Thanks for the reminders of high-cal snacks that are simple to consume. Got me craving the Coconut Bliss again. :)

Really, I know why it's not good for me. Yes, needed to just make the choice. But it's so nice to hear other people confirm it as true. :)

Thanks for the reminders!

ps. Hair falling out... yes, that's right...btdt...ugh

This, and because eating enough during the day allows you to make more informed choices. When you don't eat enough, your body (which has learned from our ancestors that famine may be right around the corner) will get encourage you to grab high calorie foods in order to get some nutrition into your system - fast! Not eating enough also encourages your body to be more efficient in its use of calories. It's one reason why people who diet a lot find it harder and harder to lose weight.
  • wanderingarcher
    Options
    Thanks y'all. You're getting through to me. :)

And this, too:

Very enlightening. Glad to be reeducated. :)