Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Still searching for the perfect diet ...

Options
2»

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    OP, do you eat dairy?

For health, a produce rich diet is best. I like the Mediterranean diet.

I do yes. I do think produce rich is best as well, and you would think that being vegetarian mine would be, but I think I rely too much on beans and rice and carbs. I really need to get my *kitten* together and do it right.

You could try a trial of eliminating all dairy if you’re having issues with inflammation. Starchy carbs and legumes are great, but for inflammation you want high antioxidant foods.

I think the approach of killing free radicals with antioxidants should be instead, the prevention of free radical formation and taking that approach. Antioxidants are wonderful and all and they help to reduce ROS but are down stream from chronic oxidative stress (inflammation).

I'm still trying to understand this topic more but personally I think a caloric deficit is important on our health markers and lowers our CRP pretty quickly. Exercise, which sounds counterproductive but in reality shifts substrate metabolism in mitochondria, which apparently is vital. Also moderate exercise increases antioxidant activity and lowers oxidation of LDL's, protein and increases insulin sensitivity while reducing oxidative stress and inflammation. As far as diet is concerned a variety of fruits and vegetables along with fish is good to help get phytonutrients, including key vitamins and minerals, antioxidants and flavonoids. Probably a reduction of omega 6's with an increase of omega 3's from a fish source and not a plant source to help bring back a ratio that is less inflammatory. Sleep is really important and melatonin is a very powerful antioxidant so make sure the room is dark. Increased oxidative stress as we age may be in part due to a decline in the levels of cellular antioxidants, among them coenzyme Q10 declines significantly with age so a supplement might be looked at and supplementation of antioxidants looks grim in testing, so I wouldn't hang my hat on that. Cheers!

Those things are good too. I wasn’t suggesting an antioxidant supplement, but instead eating more antioxidant rich foods.

I just threw in the supplementation at the end and I meant no disrespect in what you said, which I agree with. You just got me thinking and I started typing. Cheers.

No worries. I especially like the part about sleep. It is so important and most people don’t get enough!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,920 Member
    Options
    Yeah for sure. Melatonin was pretty interesting to look at and I never knew you needed a dark room for it's production.
  • neanderthin
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I don't get enough sleep. I used to sleep great for my whole life up until menopause, and now I just can't. I mean I hear all the time to "get enough sleep" but not sure how one is supposed to do that when their body and brain won't cooperate.
    I fall asleep fine, within minutes. I almost always wake up 3-4 hours later and then either find it impossible to fall back asleep, or sleep on and off for the rest of the night.
    @neanderthin I am taking various supplements and antioxidants for inflammation, and mitochondrial function etc.
    Honestly just at the end of my rope with this. I appreciate the suggestions but nothing seems to work. I mean I did get some relief on an 8 week super strict low(ish) carb, no sugar, no alcohol, no diary, no soy, high antioxidant diet - but does that mean I have to stick to that for life? It just seems contrary to everything that is talked about here regarding moderation.
    Maybe that is just the way it has to be for me.

I empathize with you, my partner goes through a similar problem sleeping. Pot is legal in Canada, so she does that sometimes and seems to work, sometimes. Moderation, yeah it allows someone to continue without being excessive, and that can work for sure but sometimes it doesn't. Keep at it maybe separate the carb sources and only eat one. For example eat only vegetable carbs sources like sweet potato, potato, taro, yam, squash, see how you feel. Next try just grain carbs like pasta, bread and grits for example and soy on it's own. Who knows you may be able to narrow it down. All carbs are sugars as you know but keeping it down as much as possible so not to have a big effect on the innate immune responses ability to help reduce inflammation. Are you diabetic?
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I don't get enough sleep. I used to sleep great for my whole life up until menopause, and now I just can't. I mean I hear all the time to "get enough sleep" but not sure how one is supposed to do that when their body and brain won't cooperate.
    I fall asleep fine, within minutes. I almost always wake up 3-4 hours later and then either find it impossible to fall back asleep, or sleep on and off for the rest of the night.
    @neanderthin I am taking various supplements and antioxidants for inflammation, and mitochondrial function etc.
    Honestly just at the end of my rope with this. I appreciate the suggestions but nothing seems to work. I mean I did get some relief on an 8 week super strict low(ish) carb, no sugar, no alcohol, no diary, no soy, high antioxidant diet - but does that mean I have to stick to that for life? It just seems contrary to everything that is talked about here regarding moderation.

I empathize with you, my partner goes through a similar problem sleeping. Pot is legal in Canada, so she does that sometimes and seems to work, sometimes. Moderation, yeah it allows someone to continue without being excessive, and that can work for sure but sometimes it doesn't. Keep at it maybe separate the carb sources and only eat one. For example eat only vegetable carbs sources like sweet potato, potato, taro, yam, squash, see how you feel. Next try just grain carbs like pasta, bread and grits for example and soy on it's own. Who knows you may be able to narrow it down. All carbs are sugars as you know but keeping it down as much as possible so not to have a big effect on the innate immune responses ability to help reduce inflammation. Are you diabetic?

Good lord I hope not - I haven't been to the doctor in a while but have an appointment end of this month so I'll get my blood tested then and see if anything comes up.
    I am in Canada as well so I could do the gummies or something, I have used it (edibles) on occasion when I am desperate for sleep.
    I honestly did feel better when I was doing the restrictive diet, I have to admit it. I mean even my knee was better, the swelling was down, so I can infer from that that it did have an anti-inflammatory effect for me. It worked better for me, but then I slipped back to old habits because, not gonna lie, it is HARD to maintain. Not only that but this idea that restrictive diets are unhealthy makes me think I shouldn't have to do that to maintain my health, and I start second guessing myself.
    I think I am gonna have to get back on that track, and like you suggested add in new stuff slowly and see how that works for me.
  • neanderthin
    edited August 2021
    Options

Good lord I hope not - I haven't been to the doctor in a while but have an appointment end of this month so I'll get my blood tested then and see if anything comes up.
    I am in Canada as well so I could do the gummies or something, I have used it (edibles) on occasion when I am desperate for sleep.
    I honestly did feel better when I was doing the restrictive diet, I have to admit it. I mean even my knee was better, the swelling was down, so I can infer from that that it did have an anti-inflammatory effect for me. It worked better for me, but then I slipped back to old habits because, not gonna lie, it is HARD to maintain. Not only that but this idea that restrictive diets are unhealthy makes me think I shouldn't have to do that to maintain my health, and I start second guessing myself.
    I think I am gonna have to get back on that track, and like you suggested add in new stuff slowly and see how that works for me.

Restrictive diets can mean many things but if removing certain foods in a diet can improve a persons quality of life how would that be considered unhealthy? More and more dietitians and Dr's are suggesting for some individuals to reduce carbs in their diets. You can join a low carb group here for encouragement and recipe ideas.

Another area where chronic inflammation might be reduced is in your omega consumption. An improper balance of too much omega 6 mostly from refined seed oils with not enough omega3 from fish is considered proinflammatory and is very high in the average person in North America and that includes Canada. If your using a seed oil that's high in polyunsaturated fat (omega6) like corn, regular safflower, canola, soybean, vegetable oil you might want to switch to one higher in monounsaturated fat like avocado, olive oil and they have a high oleic safflower and sunflower oil. You can also use coconut oil. Consume more fish and if you don't like fish much try fish oil or krill oil.