Where's the line between pushing yourself a little harder and accepting yourself for where you are?

I've really been struggling with this lately. I'm 46 years old and since the pandemic my weight has slowly started to continue to creep up. I'm "happiest" at around 110 but I haven't seen that for ages and starting the pandemic I was probably 115. I'm now 122. And at only 4'11", every pound sends me into a spiral of despair. But the odd thing is that I feel good. I feel healthy and strong. I work out 5-6 days a week and really enjoy it. I've been building my strength and am more confident in exercising by myself. I can now do 20 push-ups in row. 10 chin ups. I am physically happy with my strength gains. I eat pretty well. But I like to eat and I like to eat a lot so I will splurge when I have a nice meal or treat in front of me. but that's 20% of time, offsetting the 80% where I eat well. And the truth is, I know I'm probably in better shape than most women my age. But I keep longing for the days when I was skinny and had a bikini body. I want to get to the point where I can just accept that I feel good and I'm healthy and fit but societal standards get into my head and I'm constantly competing to "look" the best I can and for some reason that equates thin. Not sure where I am going with this post other than this morning was a tough morning on the scale and I'm feeling down again. How have other's learned to be happy and accept that they don't have to achieve a "perfect body"? I know it logically, but mentally I get really down on myself. sorry for the long vent.

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    While I'm not about being thinner, getting tauter is something that is seemingly elusive for me (at least without getting radically invasive surgery... everywhere 🙅🏿‍♀️)

In sum, I get where you are coming from.

To find the answer for you, it's about asking the right questions...for you. For example, while there's any number of avenues you can take to reach your goal, are they healthy and, ultimately, will you feel better than you do now?
  • Jambalady
    Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
    I know that no-one has a perfect body, and even if they think they do I might disagree. Who's to say what's perfect? My vision might be different to yours. All those pictures you see online and in the magazines are altered, no-one looks like that. And that's aside from 2 hours of professional hair and make up before they even get in front of the camera. I'm not going to compare myself to something that isn't real.

Many years ago I was having a weight related meltdown and my husband prodded my *kitten* and said 'I don't love what's here, I love what's here' and prodded my head. I am much more concerned with what my body can do. It works all the time, even when I don't look after it very well. Even if I do lose another few stone it's not going to erase the last 20 years, I won't look the same. And that's fine, I don't feel the same either.

I changed the parameters for success, I don't want to be skinny. I want to be stronger, run faster, not feel stiff, feel better, be able to go and do fun stuff, live longer. Those things I control and social norms can get lost :D

That's the place I'm trying to get to mentally. I know that 46 year old me is way stronger, faster, athletic and healthier than 26 year old me and most of the time I'm fine but more often than I'd like I'm beating myself up to be skinnier. but when I start to diet I'm miserable. Part of it is my gym closing down. When I went to the gym I had my gym buddies and we all were our biggest supporters and motivators and cheered each other on. I've had to work out at home since the pandemic and then my gym closed for good so I don't have that same support system and have been unable to find a replacement. When I was surrounding myself with people who wanted to get stronger and fitter, I was happier bc those were my goals. Now, for some reason, by myself, I'm still meeting my goals but don't have the cheerleaders so find myself too focused on appearance.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    I love the gym and the gym environment, so I can relate somewhat. I tend to neglect lifting regularly sometimes but once I hit the gym and see all the other peeps hitting the weights, it's re-energizing.

For now, can you find You Tube videos for weight and/or cardio workouts? There are LOTS of super strong, fit women to watch and follow. Sorry, I don't have specific names but other posters have named people they follow so maybe someone else can contribute.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,939 Member
    Now that I'm in my mid-40's with a family, my focus has shifted away from how I look towards how I feel. As in, pain prevention is a big thing for me now, lol. Over years of trial and error, I've determined my current weight gives me a good balance between performance in the gym, lack of pain in my joints, and just a little bit of mirror vanity (I don't think that ever truly goes away 100%).
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    Jambalady wrote: »

That's the place I'm trying to get to mentally. I know that 46 year old me is way stronger, faster, athletic and healthier than 26 year old me and most of the time I'm fine but more often than I'd like I'm beating myself up to be skinnier. but when I start to diet I'm miserable. Part of it is my gym closing down. When I went to the gym I had my gym buddies and we all were our biggest supporters and motivators and cheered each other on. I've had to work out at home since the pandemic and then my gym closed for good so I don't have that same support system and have been unable to find a replacement. When I was surrounding myself with people who wanted to get stronger and fitter, I was happier bc those were my goals. Now, for some reason, by myself, I'm still meeting my goals but don't have the cheerleaders so find myself too focused on appearance.

Can you contact some of the folks you worked out with at your old gym and see if they have found a new place? or maybe several of you can get together once a week to lift at someone's house? that may bring back some of the feel good you were receiving at the gym?

I agree, a support network, even cheerleaders, make a huge difference!! I haven't worked out consistently since I moved away to a place that has no gym. :(
  • Jambalady
    azalea4175 wrote: »

Can you contact some of the folks you worked out with at your old gym and see if they have found a new place? or maybe several of you can get together once a week to lift at someone's house? that may bring back some of the feel good you were receiving at the gym?

I agree, a support network, even cheerleaders, make a huge difference!! I haven't worked out consistently since I moved away to a place that has no gym. :(

I have tried to follow my old instructors and gym buddies but we were only able to do it virtually for a while since the gym was at my work location not my home location. only 1 of them lives any where close to me. But I think that may be what I need to do, find a new support network.
  • Jambalady
    nossmf wrote: »
    Now that I'm in my mid-40's with a family, my focus has shifted away from how I look towards how I feel. As in, pain prevention is a big thing for me now, lol. Over years of trial and error, I've determined my current weight gives me a good balance between performance in the gym, lack of pain in my joints, and just a little bit of mirror vanity (I don't think that ever truly goes away 100%).

That's wonderful! That's the exact mental state I need to get to.
  • Jambalady
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I love the gym and the gym environment, so I can relate somewhat. I tend to neglect lifting regularly sometimes but once I hit the gym and see all the other peeps hitting the weights, it's re-energizing.

For now, can you find You Tube videos for weight and/or cardio workouts? There are LOTS of super strong, fit women to watch and follow. Sorry, I don't have specific names but other posters have named people they follow so maybe someone else can contribute.

I actually have found working out at home really enjoyable and found some great programs but I think the problem with at home videos is that the instructors are always typically perfect whereas the female instructors in the gym I went to were both inspiring and athletic and beasts at what they did, but had more "normal" or realistic bodies. They weren't 15% body fat or whatever you see in the super lean instructors on YouTube. They were real and it was a nice basis of comparison to walk away seeing a fitness role model with a real body.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I know that no-one has a perfect body, and even if they think they do I might disagree. Who's to say what's perfect? My vision might be different to yours. All those pictures you see online and in the magazines are altered, no-one looks like that. And that's aside from 2 hours of professional hair and make up before they even get in front of the camera. I'm not going to compare myself to something that isn't real.

Many years ago I was having a weight related meltdown and my husband prodded my *kitten* and said 'I don't love what's here, I love what's here' and prodded my head. I am much more concerned with what my body can do. It works all the time, even when I don't look after it very well. Even if I do lose another few stone it's not going to erase the last 20 years, I won't look the same. And that's fine, I don't feel the same either.

I changed the parameters for success, I don't want to be skinny. I want to be stronger, run faster, not feel stiff, feel better, be able to go and do fun stuff, live longer. Those things I control and social norms can get lost :D

I wonder if also contributing to your misery is an overly-aggressive weekly weight loss goal? With a max of 12 pounds to lose, did you select a half pound per week as your goal?

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

My first day on MFP I thought I could do two pounds per week and that goal didn't make it past lunchtime :lol:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    Is it possible that a virtual community would help? There might be challenges or groups here on MFP with weight-lifting/fit women, and I know they exist on other sites/social media.

There are times I've "surrounded" myself with influences of the type I needed by using resources analogous to those, plus subscribing to good newsletters on a subject, listening to podcasts, following YouTube channels, etc.

I've done some of that to create an extended rowing community (though I see my local rowers in season), for mixed-media visual journaling & similar crafts, for martial arts community beyond my own style (back in the day), etc. It's not an equivalent to RL friends, but can help reduce the vague feeling of being the only person who does or values a particular activity, and has connected me with some great information resources I wouldn't otherwise have been aware of (books, videos, articles, research, etc.).
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    First of all--10 chin ups is amazing! I'm STILL working my way back up to one unassisted dead-hang chin up! That is hard core!

I can resonate a lot with what you're saying. I guess fortunately for me, I've never been thin since I was a kid without working at it. I've only successfully lost a significant amount of weight (once in a very unhealthy manner) and even fewer than that have been able to maintain that loss. I can honestly say that I am fitter and stronger and generally look better body-wise than I did at my thinnest in my 20's, with the exception of the looser skin and "baggage" from the pregnancies and c-sections. Like you said, I know that logically I am in better shape than a lot of other 44-year olds. I logically am happy at my weight hovering around 135 at 5'8, haven't not been that low at that height well...if ever. I've had to teach myself over the years not only how to prefer more nutritious choices over less nutritious (although I eat both--just the latter more in moderation) and how to be ok with not having treats all.the.time. I, too, love food, but luckily for me I'm not picky so eating nutritious foods is satisfying, too.

Despite the fact that I'm focusing on continuing to recomp as much as possible, I still see parts and think "yuck." I've always had the problem of comparing myself to others (and sometimes those "others" are 20 years younger than me) and never being satisfied, so this isn't surprising. What I've had to do is shift my focus to strength gains vs. appearance gains which, as it sounds like you already know, isn't easy. It takes work! I've been hearing a lot more lately about body neutrality as opposed to body positivity. So, instead of trying to fool myself that I love my thighs and all the cellulite, I can look at them in a neutral light--they're just there and part of me. Don't have to love how they look, but I can be grateful for all they do for me. It really is those times when I start to compare myself--either to people I see in person or online, that I start to feel down about myself. It is a hard habit to break, but with practice, I AM getting better at it. I honestly know that I am not willing to put in the work and dedication it takes to look a certain way, and that includes surgical work. I will continue to put in the work I am comfortable with maintaining and doesn't take away from other parts of my life.

I also really focus on how getting stronger and making more nutritious choices makes me feel, physically. This has become even easier for me, as I started an elimination diet beginning April to see what might be triggering/worsening things like frequency muscle/joint aches, digestive issues, congestion, etc. Now that I"m starting to find out what some of those foods are and how good I felt without those foods, it'll be easier for me to limit those "triggering" foods even more (even though some are actually good for me--like strawberries). I now know that even one cocktail/glass of wine especially triggers muscle/joint aches, and more sugar (for me) increases some of those symptoms, too. Not saying that you have to go to that extreme, but I think when we focus on how foods make us feel physically vs. how we think they might make us look, it's easier to not eat so much of them.
  • Jambalady
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I wonder if also contributing to your misery is an overly-aggressive weekly weight loss goal? With a max of 12 pounds to lose, did you select a half pound per week as your goal?

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

My first day on MFP I thought I could do two pounds per week and that goal didn't make it past lunchtime :lol:

I use MFP loosely to get a sense of where my calories are for the day. It's not set at any target other than I try to stay around the 1600 to 1800 range. But yes, it is when I try to reduce to a lower calorie range that I'm miserable.
  • Jambalady
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Is it possible that a virtual community would help? There might be challenges or groups here on MFP with weight-lifting/fit women, and I know they exist on other sites/social media.

There are times I've "surrounded" myself with influences of the type I needed by using resources analogous to those, plus subscribing to good newsletters on a subject, listening to podcasts, following YouTube channels, etc.

I've done some of that to create an extended rowing community (though I see my local rowers in season), for mixed-media visual journaling & similar crafts, for martial arts community beyond my own style (back in the day), etc. It's not an equivalent to RL friends, but can help reduce the vague feeling of being the only person who does or values a particular activity, and has connected me with some great information resources I wouldn't otherwise have been aware of (books, videos, articles, research, etc.).
    First of all--10 chin ups is amazing! I'm STILL working my way back up to one unassisted dead-hang chin up! That is hard core!

I can resonate a lot with what you're saying. I guess fortunately for me, I've never been thin since I was a kid without working at it. I've only successfully lost a significant amount of weight (once in a very unhealthy manner) and even fewer than that have been able to maintain that loss. I can honestly say that I am fitter and stronger and generally look better body-wise than I did at my thinnest in my 20's, with the exception of the looser skin and "baggage" from the pregnancies and c-sections. Like you said, I know that logically I am in better shape than a lot of other 44-year olds. I logically am happy at my weight hovering around 135 at 5'8, haven't not been that low at that height well...if ever. I've had to teach myself over the years not only how to prefer more nutritious choices over less nutritious (although I eat both--just the latter more in moderation) and how to be ok with not having treats all.the.time. I, too, love food, but luckily for me I'm not picky so eating nutritious foods is satisfying, too.

Despite the fact that I'm focusing on continuing to recomp as much as possible, I still see parts and think "yuck." I've always had the problem of comparing myself to others (and sometimes those "others" are 20 years younger than me) and never being satisfied, so this isn't surprising. What I've had to do is shift my focus to strength gains vs. appearance gains which, as it sounds like you already know, isn't easy. It takes work! I've been hearing a lot more lately about body neutrality as opposed to body positivity. So, instead of trying to fool myself that I love my thighs and all the cellulite, I can look at them in a neutral light--they're just there and part of me. Don't have to love how they look, but I can be grateful for all they do for me. It really is those times when I start to compare myself--either to people I see in person or online, that I start to feel down about myself. It is a hard habit to break, but with practice, I AM getting better at it. I honestly know that I am not willing to put in the work and dedication it takes to look a certain way, and that includes surgical work. I will continue to put in the work I am comfortable with maintaining and doesn't take away from other parts of my life.

I also really focus on how getting stronger and making more nutritious choices makes me feel, physically. This has become even easier for me, as I started an elimination diet beginning April to see what might be triggering/worsening things like frequency muscle/joint aches, digestive issues, congestion, etc. Now that I"m starting to find out what some of those foods are and how good I felt without those foods, it'll be easier for me to limit those "triggering" foods even more (even though some are actually good for me--like strawberries). I now know that even one cocktail/glass of wine especially triggers muscle/joint aches, and more sugar (for me) increases some of those symptoms, too. Not saying that you have to go to that extreme, but I think when we focus on how foods make us feel physically vs. how we think they might make us look, it's easier to not eat so much of them.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. Everything you wrote is spot on to how I feel. I think you are right in continuing to focus on nutrition and foods that make me feel better. There's definitely a correlation between certain foods that make me feel bloated or tired. That's a great suggestion!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    It IS hard. I did some untangling while still fat. I am a tall woman, and I am from a family of large, strong, tall women. There is no 100 pound model under my fat. There's a Northern European peasant woman with T & A and thick strong legs and a solid core. And I can make THAT build the best it can be, the most comfortable body that I can be in, and that's a good and desirable goal. I do have chronic pain, and I probably always will. But the less poundage I put on the reconstructed midfoot, the happier it will be, and the more walking and standing I can sneak into my life.

Probably I will need surgery; I'm short waisted and had three nine-pound babies. Now that they're all grown men, I can contemplate not looking six months pregnant all the time. Also, if my breasts choose not to lose weight with the rest of me, well, I wouldn't be the first woman in my family to have a breast reduction. And that will probably be emotionally trying as well.

I want to be able to walk all day and do yoga and chase my eventual grandkids, and enjoy my life with my second husband.

Hello from another Northern European peasant woman!

When in middle and high school, I hated my big feet and was teased about my big calves, but when I started practicing yoga I learned what an asset big feet are for me for balancing poses.

My weight loss goal is not a number on a scale, but to be able to do the routine I enjoyed when I was a full time yoga teacher, which takes a lot more upper body and cardiovascular strength than I currently have. I've kept a pair of jeans from that time, and aspire to get back into them as well.