WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2021

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Vickil57 wrote: »
    What a day, Got to work at 0600 this morning and found out my night girl's husband was admitted to the hospital. So I have been trying to get a replacement to work, or I would be working 36 hours no break. Finally just got one person to call me back and she is coming in 10p-6a so that helps. I will work until she comes, go home sleep a couple hours and come back and work 6a-6p tomorrow. I just pray her husband is stable by then or not sure what I will do about tomorrow night. Can't even think about that until I have to. The joy of being the supervisor and working in a hospital and a 24/7 department.
    I went to donate blood at the blood drive this morning and my blood count is to low and my blood pressure is to high. What scares me about the blood count is last year this happen and I ended up with hives for 10 months. So I have to figure how and make sure that does not happen again.
    Sorry for the feel sorry for me post, just not doing well. Thanks for listening and letting me vent.

that does not sound like a "feeling sorry for myself post"- Sounds like a Oh my goodness- this is really ROUGH post.
    I hope things get back to normal and maybe hire a few more, for just this reason- you can't be working that many hours too often. What would they do if you got really sick????
    Take care of YOU
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,546 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 29min 57sec, 3.20ap, 126elev, 81ahr, 97mhr, 8.02mi= 731c
    Strava app = 972c
    Zwift home spin bike- 18.46min, 487elev, 139aw, 59arpm, 14.55amph, 4.55mi= 205c
    Zwift app- 85c

Total cal 1021
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    another old friend today too. spoke on the phone with old, old friend from school. an ex with whom I was medium serious. we were never really in serious mode but we quite liked on another and stayed in touch for a very long time and saw one another on and off after college for a few years : till he got hitched to his 1st wife. Then he would still meet up a bit and was explicitly interested in pursuing romance even though married. That was a "no deal" for me. So I guess maybe for that reason our friendship waned. Since he was an old college friend it didn't seem that dramatic. it was just not being in sync, not on the same page.

now w his 2nd wife he is not that way at all, thank goodness.

he was going on and on and on. after more than 1h30 minutes I was able to get off the phone. I was trying to find a Segway to get off the phone but was unable to find it - some how out of respect for old times and the long time since we last spoke.

he said he's semi-retired so i'm sure that comes into play.
    I think last time we spoke was a good 4 or 5 years ago at the time he was 'between jobs'. and the conversation was also very long and I remember wanting to get off and not knowing how to do it.
    his wife has a very good job and he had previously had very serious jobs, so they are very, very comfortable, and I think by now they have accumulated a bit and also have a bit of inheritance from parents having passed.

I think he really wasn't trying to but he was talking about his wonderful life.
    wonderful spouse, home, kids, family situation, neighbourhood. it think he was really just being appreciative of it all, (maybe a bit unconsciously braggy about his son), and I would guess his spouse is very nice, but it was a bit much, when my life is fairly modest. and then when he was talking about other subjects he was going on and on. I really liked him as a friend for a long long time and we had a nice connection long after having gone out together- stayed in touch over the years and changes of countries; he visited or met up with me in many different countries and cities, some years back.

now we are in such different situations. it's harder to connect.
    he asked about me, but I talked a wee bit about my work and said I'm on my own.
    but he didn't seem to be really into listening, and was happy to switch quickly back to talking.
    I've found that sometimes when people are not interacting a lot with others (working at home or retired or stay at home mom or dad) they sometimes need to speak a LOT, whereas they had maybe not been that way previously.

But maybe he WAS that way previously, or at least a little bit. I was much less talkative and expressive in my youth, and I think often I had some friends that spoke way more than me. I was not a pushover in terms of my opinion, but not SO talkative and did not always know how to express myself, how to articulate my thoughts in at least a few areas. So I would listen, and enjoy it often. (now it can really vary. sometimes I listen a LOT - and sometimes am sort of snowed under by the other like this evening - and sometimes I can talk up a storm too. at work I listen TONS.

I was wanting to get off the phone for quite a while but unsure how to do it. I finally transitioned to a convo on "what are you doing this weekend" said I have to do some work (a total fib). he wrote after that it was a great call.
    I wrote "a blast from the past!" and what a week from the past. (since I met another guy (not really a friend) from college, a common person in a circle of 1st year class, a little week go). someone I would never have met but who's passing through town.

Sorry to whine.

Spoke to another local, listening, friend (known for about 10 years or 11 or 12) and we both listen to one another and talk. It's way more interesting.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Kylia ~ I know that you have been given some good advice about your work situation, but, just want to say that I know you are in a tough spot that may be difficult for you to get out of.

Carol in GA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lisa — The hydrangea is beautiful! 💕💖
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,045 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my aunt may get discharged this evening. They didn't find anything wrong yet, but there are a few more test results coming.

Meanwhile Teddy's sore is looking worse. I've never seen anything like it. The vet seems to think it will clear on its own, and be better on Monday. I have my doubts.

Annie in Delaware
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Don't know how many of you follow the Tour de France, but we like to spot our favourite bits of France! I also have a soft spot for Mark Cavendish, from the Isle of Man. <3 Today he won his 34th stage, equalling the record. He is 36 and most people thought his career was finished. He only got in the race on a cancellation.
    I cannot watch it live because it would kill me, so I wait for the result, watch the photos and then watch the highlights programme. Even though I knew the result, my heart was nearly jumping out of my chest! WOW! WOW! WOW! My elder son said he was screaming!
    Afterwards Mark said, "Don't let anyone tell you you can't do something!"

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/09/mark-cavendish-equals-record-with-34th-stage-win-in-tour-de-france
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    Options
    [[[
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,822 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Tracey--I love the idea of you adding to your mom and grandmother's diaries. What a great gift for your daughters and they could add to it for events you share.

Kylia--Sending HUGS and HUGS. I wish I had the answers. People you care and give all they can, get walked over time and time again. Until they stop caring and walk away. It is because we care and take pride in our work and want the business/hospital to do well. <3

"lady that lives with us" We have a full finished basement with 2 bedrooms and everything but a kitchen. The lady that is living there, her husband and DH were BF. When he pasted away we hired her to dust our house twice a month. She ended up losing her home and no where to go, so she is renting our basement. She has been there 2 years last April. She is signed up for low income housing and the list is long. In the meantime it works as she takes care of our furbabies when we go out of town and is to clean every 2 weeks. She has become like a little sister to both of us.

Allie--It is not easy and they get mad, But it's called tough love for a reason. Been there and it is not fun.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND NE <3
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of 20-40-60 workout. I don’t know if it’s the fact that I’m getting older or the fact that I lost quite a bit when I was working and didn’t do this, but before I would do 4mph, 4.5mph, then 5mph. I found that after a few minutes, I needed to do 3.5mph, 4mph, and 4.5mph

After exercise came home and got dinner ready to microwave. Soup kitchen in a few. Afterwards, I’ll want to call Vince. If he wants to cut the grass today, I’ll come right home. If not, I’m thinking that I need to stop at WalMart and since it’s on the way, I’ll do that. If we cut the grass, I’ll come home and maybe go in the evening. Update: went to WalMart because it started to rain.

Kylia – talking about that worker reminded me of the saying “god takes care of drunks and little children”. My heart breaks for you with you work situation. Wish I could be there to help. Even IF it’s only for 4 hours, at least that would take some of the load off you. Maybe not a whole lot, but a little is better than none.

Barbara – yes, I’d probably already know basically where things in Lowes Hardware are….lol. I also know that if someone has a technical question, I would certainly try to find them some knowledgeable person to help them. Well, we shall see what the future holds.

Snacker – I used to make the loom hats while I was volunteering at the Green Room (local theater). However, that stopped with the pandemic. It’s a good craft for the Green Room, I can put it down to answer the phone, etc. but I’m not sitting there bored if the phone doesn’t ring. Plus, I can just donate them so that makes it rewarding.

Annie DE – just think, if you’re active you don’t have time to munch

Got chicken marinating and also salmon for Vince to grill. Now I’m making stuffed manicotti.

Debbie – I’m seriously considering an air fryer lid for my instant pot. The nice thing, I understand, is that you can use it as a dehydrator and I’m looking forward to drying fruit

Allie – I know it hurts (your son) but you did the right thing. Know that. He’ll probably give you some grief (remember you didn’t move because of him?), so come here and vent all you want. We’re here.

Vicki – “people who care and give all they can get walked on”. I know this only too well.

Took my evening walk then played mahjongg while having my feet in the spa. Vince said something about cutting the grass tomorrow. We shall see.

Michele NC
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Ladies---THANK YOU ALL!
    I appreciate all the suggestions. Funny thing is my Son in Law (it gets hard when talking about sister in law and son in law and both their names start with D) said today that he is waiting for me to grow balls. He is concerned about what will happen should something incapacitate me or him. I find myself "helping" sister in law less and less. She left parts sit on counter for two days that needed to be boxed and shipped. I did finally say something today about something needing to be done with them. Her comment was how would I know- grumble. My reply was you took the order and know what needs to be done, not me. She did complete it finally with assistance from me since she "can't" figure out how to use the website to ship- whatever..She did manage to stay until 4. Someone asked why she was crying yesterday. I don't know...she doesn't share with anyone...I get that the last few years have been rough, but they have been rough for everyone. It just isn't IMHO an excuse to not be concerned about the livelihood of your business and family. I try to be sympathetic, but have lost patience. Two weeks off unfortunately wouldn't be long enough if vacations are an example. She just puts everything to the side that she doesn't want to deal with until I get back. Maybe a month or two! I really do appreciate all of the advice and just listening!

Vicki- not a whining post. Just a venting one! We have your back!

Lisa- pretty! My hydrangea from MIL service last year has a couple of budding flowers. Curious to see if they will bloom all the way.

Annie- Have you tried a warm compress on Teddie's sore? Maybe a little antibiotic ointment since he can't reach it? The warm cloth may help pull out more yuck, it does with people.

My marigold gift from my grandson 5 years ago, continues to bring me joy. When I walked out into the flower bed this evening I have 5 new marigold plants starting from the seeds of his original plant. Last year there was only one. I am so excited. No, I don't plant them (though I have some dried). They just pop up.

A couple of more positives for today
    1) I barely missed the deer this morning on my way to get honey from a local keeper. She darted out of bushes right in front of me. If she had slipped on the blacktop it would have been a really bad morning! As it was, I barely missed her by inches!
    2) I got my local honey! Yay! Maybe I can get my allergies back under control. The only way to get much more local would be to have my own hives.
    3) I asked my doctor to change how she does my blood work and appointment, and she agreed! My husband's doctor always has him do his blood work before the appointment. The doctor said this is so he can go over the results and make any changes at that time. My appointment is towards the end of July and she submitted the paperwork for the lab already.
    4) The sun poked it's head out for a few moments this evening.

I am blessed!
    I am lucky enough to have you ladies watching over me!

Have a great evening!
    Oh, we are heading to Kentucky for the weekend after work tomorrow. Maybe the peace there will help my angst.
    It won't get things done here, but I am looking forward to it.

<3
    Kylia in Ohio where it feels like fall and I am lounging in my sweats!
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,045 Member
    Options
    Well the vet called me back and wants Teddy on an antibiotic. Plus I'm supposed to do warm compresses but he flinches when I even look hard at his sore. I found some leftover doggie pain pills and gave him a dose. He seems to be happier. We can try a warm compress in the morning. Maybe. I'm a lousy nurse.

Annie in Delaware
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Did an hour of 20-40-60 workout. I don’t know if it’s the fact that I’m getting older or the fact that I lost quite a bit when I was working and didn’t do this, but before I would do 4mph, 4.5mph, then 5mph. I found that after a few minutes, I needed to do 3.5mph, 4mph, and 4.5mph

After exercise came home and got dinner ready to microwave. Soup kitchen in a few. Afterwards, I’ll want to call Vince. If he wants to cut the grass today, I’ll come right home. If not, I’m thinking that I need to stop at WalMart and since it’s on the way, I’ll do that. If we cut the grass, I’ll come home and maybe go in the evening. Update: went to WalMart because it started to rain.

Kylia – talking about that worker reminded me of the saying “god takes care of drunks and little children”. My heart breaks for you with you work situation. Wish I could be there to help. Even IF it’s only for 4 hours, at least that would take some of the load off you. Maybe not a whole lot, but a little is better than none.

Barbara – yes, I’d probably already know basically where things in Lowes Hardware are….lol. I also know that if someone has a technical question, I would certainly try to find them some knowledgeable person to help them. Well, we shall see what the future holds.

Snacker – I used to make the loom hats while I was volunteering at the Green Room (local theater). However, that stopped with the pandemic. It’s a good craft for the Green Room, I can put it down to answer the phone, etc. but I’m not sitting there bored if the phone doesn’t ring. Plus, I can just donate them so that makes it rewarding.

Annie DE – just think, if you’re active you don’t have time to munch

Got chicken marinating and also salmon for Vince to grill. Now I’m making stuffed manicotti.

Debbie – I’m seriously considering an air fryer lid for my instant pot. The nice thing, I understand, is that you can use it as a dehydrator and I’m looking forward to drying fruit

Allie – I know it hurts (your son) but you did the right thing. Know that. He’ll probably give you some grief (remember you didn’t move because of him?), so come here and vent all you want. We’re here.

Vicki – “people who care and give all they can get walked on”. I know this only too well.

Took my evening walk then played mahjongg while having my feet in the spa. Vince said something about cutting the grass tomorrow. We shall see.

Michele NC

If it were me, I would actually purchase an actual air fryer- we have one with the two racks so I can cook more at one time. With the air fryer lid, you would be really limited to how much you can cook/fry/dry at one time.
    I have a pressure cooker, air fryer and dehydrator
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Allie- Tough love is hard, but we are designed to raise our children to be responsible adults. Even if Son is mad now, he will thank you later. We have your back and are PROUD of you!

Vickie- I agree so totally! I can't decide if that is a good thing or a bad....
  • pipcd34
    Options
    ]]]]
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Im going to try and sleep but i dont know how fragile Dans mind is,i dont want him doing anything rash i could never live with myself