Water

Options
nanciellen18
nanciellen18 Posts: 1 Member
edited April 2022 in Introduce Yourself
I just met someone like me( trying to lose weight )and she was telling me if you have a water bottle fill it up with water & 2 capfuls of water you can lose the weight that way, I’m not really a runner or do vigorous exercises what else can I do.?
Tagged:

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    What did she want you to do with the water, exactly? I mean, most people can probably stand to drink more water in general, but just drinking water doesn't result in weight loss. It is true that many people interpret thirst signals from the brain as hunger, so consciously choosing to drink more water throughout the day is one way to reduce the number of calories you consume, since water will satisfy that need for 0 calories. What keeps you satiated and able to stick to your calorie budget is going to be different from what works for me; maybe volume/fiber is what does it for you, maybe it's protein, maybe it's fat. The only way to find out what works for you is trial and error.

Weight loss comes down to calories in < calories out (also abbreviated CICO) - if you eat fewer calories than your body burns within a given period (the "calorie deficit" you will see referenced around here), you will lose fat. It is physically and biologically and chemically impossible for your body to do otherwise. Being alive costs energy. We "pay" that energy "bill" using the calories in the food we eat. When we give our body more energy than it needs to stay alive, we put it away for later use in the form of body fat - we gain weight over time. When we give our body a little bit less energy than it needs to stay alive, it starts dipping into that "savings account" to "pay" the energy "bill," and we lose weight over time. It's important not to cut back energy from food too much, though, or the body starts finding ways to reduce the "charges" - by cutting the "budget" for the less-essential activities like repairing damaged cells, digestion, and cognition, so as to save energy to keep your lungs and heart working.

On the subject of exercise: Exercise is for overall fitness and wellness, not for weight loss. Yes, it's good for you and you should do at least some amount of cardiovascular exercise regularly. You don't need to run marathons, even just a daily 20-minute walk is beneficial. Yes, being more active does result in burning more calories in the course of a day, but you cannot out-exercise a bad diet. You can undo a whole hour's hard work in the gym with a single spoonful of peanut butter. It's much easier to take in calories than it is to burn them out.