how can i eat lots of fruit and veg without pooing all the time

Options
sorry for the 2 questions in the row but badiakkt i’m trying to be healthy and i want to eat lots of fruit and veg abs make it a priority within my diet alongside protein but how does a person eat a lot of fruit and veg without *kitten* all of the time?

i know this is tmi but will the body eventually get used to it 😭😭

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    But you may need to gradually increase fibre if you are not used to it

I agree with this. It might also mean adjusting expectations. It's possible that how it went for you before was not actually that great either, but you were just used to that.

Drinking enough water and having sufficient fat in your diet should make things come out easily, to be blunt. It shouldn't be difficult, or painful, or take a long time.

I thought that the OP had the opposite problem--in the bathroom all the time.
  • trulyhealy
    trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    it’s not really diahoerrea but kind of in between that and a normal poop like u went 4 times in the past 24 hours
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to be open to experimenting with what your body likes 🤷🏿‍♀️

There are clinical benefits for women having 25 to upwards of 40 grams of fiber daily. Some people in MFP have more, because that's what works for them.

Perhaps get used to hitting the lower end of the range (25 grams) while having the number of bowel movements you're used to (or at least reducing the current number). I go once a day because that's normal for me. Normal is a different frequency for everyone.

That said, if you can't get that under control by mid-month, you may want to check in with your family doctor. Show them your MFP food logs, explain your goals and your results to date. They'll get you sorted.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Any sudden dietary changes can have unwelcome results but should settle down over a week or two. If they don't then it may be a medical issue.

I eat a lot of fruit and veg and poop once a day in the morning. Very occasionally (once a month) I might go again in the afternoon.

By "a lot" I mean:

a salad of mixed salad and raw veggies at lunch time. The salad typically at least half fills up a bowl the size of a 3 pint pudding basin. Today's consisted of 1 bell pepper, 8 cherry tomatoes, 1 large courgette, 2 inch lump of cucumber, 100g bunch of asparagus, 5 sticks of celery.

At tea time I have yogurt with a handful of mixed berries and 2 other items of fruit (say an apple and some chopped melon)

At dinner I will have some veggies with my main meal.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    But you may need to gradually increase fibre if you are not used to it

Yes, but if OP is "pooing all the time" from eating more fruits and veg, it doesn't sound like the potential effects* of increasing fiber too quickly are a problem in this instance.

ETA: *I mean constipation -- sorry for being coy about it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    You're going to have to be open to experimenting with what your body likes 🤷🏿‍♀️

There are clinical benefits for women having 25 to upwards of 40 grams of fiber daily. Some people in MFP have more, because that's what works for them.

Perhaps get used to hitting the lower end of the range (25 grams) while having the number of bowel movements you're used to (or at least reducing the current number). I go once a day because that's normal for me. Normal is a different frequency for everyone.

That said, if you can't get that under control by mid-month, you may want to check in with your family doctor. Show them your MFP food logs, explain your goals and your results to date. They'll get you sorted.

While I would never discourage someone from seeing a doctor if they have concerns about their body, I wouldn't suggest that, objectively speaking, having four bowel movements a day is a medical problem.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options

While I would never discourage someone from seeing a doctor if they have concerns about their body, I wouldn't suggest that, objectively speaking, having four bowel movements a day is a medical problem.

Nor did I say - or imply - that it was one. A healthcare team is also helpful for proactive (as opposed to just reactive or acute) issues and questions.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I have 2 large bowel movements every day because of all the fiber I eat (100g+). Been this way for years and years. If you eat a lot of fiber you will have more BM, but once your body adjusts they will become regular.
  • Fatgonegirl
    Fatgonegirl Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    it’s not really diahoerrea but kind of in between that and a normal poop like u went 4 times in the past 24 hours

That's normal for me has been for years. I don't see it as a problem and, as others have said, prefer this to the opposite any day
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    trulyhealy wrote: »

I think it's just a case of adjusting expectations, then. I don't typically go that many times in a day, but it does sometimes happen. As long as each bathroom visit is not difficult or painful, I wouldn't worry about it. It's not wrong, just different.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    This is the basic plan for a week I wrote for a guy who was trying to "lean up". I had to transcribe it to MFp, because I had it saved in PDF form. He was a 220lbs, 5'9" ,semi active, 28 y.o. male. Fiber was high for him. He told me the first 2 weeks he went like crazy. Then after a few weeks, he started pooping 2 times a day. I asked him if they were watery or super hard. His response, "they came out like butter" they were so smooth. He he...... ;)

Black Beans, 0.5 cup 110 19 1 7 7 0
    Lucini olive oil - Olive Oil, 0.67 tbsp 80 0 9 0 0 1
    Veggies: Beans (Green Frozen) - Green Beans (Frozen), 3 cup (85g) 105 15 0 3 8 0
    365 Organic - Quinoa Dried, 0.25 cup 160 29 3 6 3 0
    Usda - Chicken Breast Usda Skinless Boneless, 6 ounce 204 0 4 38 0 0
    Add Food Quick Tools 659 of 524 63 17 54 18 1
    Fage - Greek Yogurt, Fat Free, 283.75 grams 150 9 0 29 0 0
    Strawberries - Fresh, Usda (Grams), 300 g (1c halves/8.4 berries 1.375" diam) 97 23 1 2 6 0
    Youngs Pecans - Pecans, 0.19 cup(30g) 158 3 16 2 2 2
    Add Food Quick Tools 405 of 524 35 17 33 8 2
    Apple Medium - Apple Medium, 2 medium apple 160 34 0 0 10 0
    Wisconsin String Cheese - String Cheese, 2 each 140 2 10 10 0 6
    Add Food Quick Tools 300 of 524 36 10 10 10 6
    Unico - Chick Peas, 1/2 cup 125ml 170 29 2 10 8 0
    Great Value - Onion and Pepper Blend, 2 cup (85g) 40 8 0 2 2 0
    pork loin roast - pork loin roast, 4 oz 140 0 11 23 0 4
    Brown rice - Brown Whole Grain Rice, 0.75 cup 113 24 1 2 1 0
    Oil - Sesame, 1 tsp 40 0 5 0 0 1
    Essential Every Day - Broccoli Florets - Frozen Broccoli Florets, 3 CUP 90 12 0 3 6 0
    Add Food Quick Tools 593 of 524 73 19 40 17 5
    Steel oats - Steel Oats, 0.25 cup 150 27 3 5 4 1
    Better'n Eggs - Eggs, 4 ounce 62 0 0 12 0 0
    Fresh Fruit Blue Berries - Blue Berries, 1 cup 70 17 1 1 4 0
    Nice eggs - Eggs, 2.25 egg (50g) 158 0 11 14 0 3
    Usda - Red Bell Pepper, Raw, 59.5 g (1 medium) 19 4 0 1 1 0
    Tomatoes - Fresh, Usda, 4 ounce 19 4 0 1 1 0
    Add Food Quick Tools 478 of 524 52 15 34 10 4
    Extra!
    Add Food Quick Tools 0 of 462

Totals 2,435 259 78 171 63 18
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options

Nor did I say - or imply - that it was one. A healthcare team is also helpful for proactive (as opposed to just reactive or acute) issues and questions.

You are right, of course. But the OP is in the UK, I believe, and my experience of healthcare here is that (unless you are in a position to pay for it privately) you are lucky to get an appointment for something reactive/acute. Proactive care does not exist here.