2»

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    MaltedTea wrote: »

Nor did I say - or imply - that it was one. A healthcare team is also helpful for proactive (as opposed to just reactive or acute) issues and questions.

You are right, of course. But the OP is in the UK, I believe, and my experience of healthcare here is that (unless you are in a position to pay for it privately) you are lucky to get an appointment for something reactive/acute. Proactive care does not exist here.

@lynn_glenmont and I were saying, essentially, the same thing so there's no disagreement. I was clarifying my POV though.

That said, @SnifterPug, for an industrialized country to overlook proactive approaches to quality of life seems odd and extremely counterintuitive. Yet, "anticipatory care" does seem to be a new NHS initiative. Google says this page was added a day ago 😱

Thank you for the cultural insight and reality.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Eat normal portions of fruits, veggies, beans, whole grains and you will be just fine. In the beginning, people overeat. Once you adapt to eating this way, you can gradually cut down portion sizes, keep losing weight, and returning to a reasonable bathroom routine. All the fiber seems to help your stomach give you accurate "full' sensations as you eat and your blood sugar is steady (with occasional lapses like the vegan oatmeal cookies we devoured yesterday) and you don't get the "I ate some cake, now I am hungry again 30 minutes later so time for more cake" reaction.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    it’s not really diahoerrea but kind of in between that and a normal poop like u went 4 times in the past 24 hours

It's normal/optimal to go 3 times a day if it's solid and well-formed. Most of us just don't because we aren't eliminating properly.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    MaltedTea wrote: »

Nor did I say - or imply - that it was one. A healthcare team is also helpful for proactive (as opposed to just reactive or acute) issues and questions.

You are right, of course. But the OP is in the UK, I believe, and my experience of healthcare here is that (unless you are in a position to pay for it privately) you are lucky to get an appointment for something reactive/acute. Proactive care does not exist here.

I'm sorry but I don't think this is correct. I have seen adverts before and during the pandemic encouraging people to visit their GP if they notice changes in their poo, or blood in wee or a persistent cough, or a lump or sore -the list goes on. There have been articles in newspapers and on the BBC saying the NHS is "open for business" and encouraging people to contact their GP if they have any worries. I think it was even mentioned by the Prime Minister and experts during one or more of the press conferences.

On a personal note, I experienced the symptoms of a possible gynaecological cancer about 12 months ago. I contacted my GP and had a scan and biopsy in just over 1 week. It was fantastic service and I can't believe it could possibly have been quicker, no matter how much money I could have spent. I thank God it was a false alarm.

The NHS has plenty of detractors (I can only assume they are upset they can't make a profit from other peoples illnesses) and like all human organisations, it makes mistakes. However, it is dangerous to tell people there is no point in contacting their GP if they have a worrying symptom because they will not be seen. It is untrue and against all the advice we have received from the NHS

I don't believe I told anyone there is no point in contacting the GP if you have a worrying symptom. I was addressing the poster who suggested a health team could provide proactive care in order to point out that this is not the general policy of the NHS.

The NHS and government can advertise all it likes, but I have heard countless stories of people who are simply unable to get a GP appointment. I myself had to go private in the end because my GP ignored/refused all my requests to address a lung condition during a pandemic which - er - is known to attack the lungs. I even wrote a letter to the surgery in desperation. Said letter was returned the following day with a covering letter telling me their surgery policy is not to read any letters from patients. Getting an answer to a phone call was about as frequent as getting a lottery win (and even then you would be promised a call back that never came), they don't publish an email address and their door was locked for most of the pandemic. Now at least, if you travel to the surgery and queue outside the window to reception, you can eventually speak to a receptionist while standing in the street.

This is not the thread on which to continue this discussion, but all I can say is that your experience is not that of many. That said, I am very glad that you got seen quickly and even more glad that it was a false alarm.

• xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Try focusing on fruits and veggies that have a lot of water but not a lot of fiber at first: tomato, cucumber, peppers, melons, berries, etc. Slowly increase amounts and diversify.