200+ lbs ladies in gym

Options
2»

Replies

• ecmorales
    ecmorales Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    also, your daily steps really add up. you mention you've been inactive, and that can change a little everyday by taking more steps which burns more calories. When I began I burned around 250 calories a day on steps alone (not counting exercise), now my steps can account for a calorie burn of anywhere from 400 to 800 caloriesa day all before I hit the exercise hour. Little things matter like parking the car a little farther away (it used to sound silly to me), jumping up to get something for someone else instead of having others do for me, etc. Best of luck, you're asking the right questions ;-)
  • Chrissy_Ivers
    Options
    First of all, thank you all for contributing, because although everyone's journey to their goal is different, it does help to hear how you got over the obstacles.

I guess I've just got to admit that I've an unstable and unhealthy relationship with food. I love it and I dread it, going from one extremity to another - fearing the four digit number when it comes to calories, and overeating the next day. I understand now about working out and activity, thanks to you all. All along, gym had never been the problem, because I could spend hours there when I had the time, because of how good I felt afterwards. The point is that I go home and eat back all of that hard work no matter how hard my muscles burn as a reminder.

The problem , I realize, is the food. It's always the food. I'll either eat a few carrots and apples during the day and then burn 1000 calories, tiring myself entirely. Or I'll stuff myself with pasta and junk and stay at home with an over-full stomach. The major problem with low budget, I guess. All I can afford most days is a few vegetables, or foods that can last forever until eaten, eg. pastas and porridge grains and quick noodles and what not.

So maybe the real question is how to sustain yourself on healthy food with a ridiculously low budget? Keeping in mind that I need low carb and high protein foods. Anyone gone through the same situation in their college years? Any advice? Or specific foods or even brands of food for this situation?
  • BellaGettinFit
    BellaGettinFit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I would NOT eat the 1200 MFP recommends. if your BMR is 1800 that is too low

^^^yeah... I'm 209 right now and eat 1800 every day AND eat back exercise calories (200-400 depending on the day) ontop of that. still losing 1.5# a week.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

So maybe the real question is how to sustain yourself on healthy food with a ridiculously low budget? Keeping in mind that I need low carb and high protein foods. Anyone gone through the same situation in their college years? Any advice? Or specific foods or even brands of food for this situation?

eggs are cheap. check your dollar store for frozen veggies cheap. buy reduced produce. bone in chicken is also pretty cheap.