Fasting is not fun.

Options
I am having a medical procedure tomorrow morning so I am fasting today. I honestly don't think I am even going to keep track of my calories today. I am not having any solid food so I probably won't even go over 600 calories.

I can only have water, clear juice, broth and jello as long as it isn't purple or red. I'm even wary about haveing orange, peach and blue raspberry. I currently have pineapple and lime setting up in the fridge.

I don't know how people can do this willingly. If anyone has done a fast before please let me know if you have any tips.

Replies

• Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    If anyone has done a fast before please let me know if you have any tips.

The first time is the hardest. It gets easier after a while.
  • ALKNica
    ALKNica Posts: 50
    Options
    I've had quite a few procedures done lately because my dr suspects Crohn's disease. I found it wasn't that hard. For one, I ended up fasting for about 36 hours because my procedure didn't start on time.

What was worse for me was the concoction that you have to drink to clean out your bowels. It's disgusting.
  • freyaheart
    freyaheart Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I've had quite a few procedures done lately because my dr suspects Crohn's disease. I found it wasn't that hard. For one, I ended up fasting for about 36 hours because my procedure didn't start on time.

What was worse for me was the concoction that you have to drink to clean out your bowels. It's disgusting.

Ya I am dreading that later. I have to do two doses one tonight and one tomorrow morning. My appointment is a 11:45am.
  • freyaheart
    freyaheart Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Maybe once I get past the mandatory fast I can try the master cleanse or something later on
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    YEAH, well, NOT Fasting will get you to the Hospital for Surgery quick. Giving your digestive system a rest 1, 2, 3 times a week could save your LIFE!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Maybe once I get past the mandatory fast I can try the master cleanse or something later on

Why?
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options

Don't do that
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am having a medical procedure tomorrow morning so I am fasting today. I honestly don't think I am even going to keep track of my calories today. I am not having any solid food so I probably won't even go over 600 calories.

I can only have water, clear juice, broth and jello as long as it isn't purple or red. I'm even wary about haveing orange, peach and blue raspberry. I currently have pineapple and lime setting up in the fridge.

I don't know how people can do this willingly. If anyone has done a fast before please let me know if you have any tips.

Water, water, water...keeps ya content! Good luck!
  • HACSTA
    HACSTA Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Fasting sucks because your not used to it , but given the time to warm up to it its actually not that bad. I've been Intermittent fasting for over 2 years any where from 16- 24 hrs. It gets better for sure . Fasting is kind of a cleanse !!
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water and find something to keep your mind occupied. This will help take your mind off of not being able to eat the things you want.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    YEAH, well, NOT Fasting will get you to the Hospital for Surgery quick. Giving your digestive system a rest 1, 2, 3 times a week could save your LIFE!
    Why would you need to fast every week?!:laugh:
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I do the 8 hr diet, which means eat for 8 hrs and fast for 16. I do that 5 days a week. It's easy. Take L-Glutamine which is an amino acid that will help you with sugar or alcohol cravings and drink plenty of water. Helps with the scale. Good Luck tomorrow!
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options

Intermittent fasting is perfectly acceptable. A lot of people on here do it.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    So you get to eat while fasting? Lucky.

Actually, I kind of enjoy fasting. Sounds crazy, but I've been doing the 16/8 thing for a while now and it doesn't take long to get used to not eating for 2/3 of the day. Our appetites act up out of habit, but can be re-trained based on our eating schedule. You can expect to feel pretty hungry the first time you skip a meal you usually have.

I don't know that water really helps with the hunger thing. Usually I'm finding that drinking water triggers hunger for me... not sure why. But whatever works for you.
  • kuroi19
    kuroi19 Posts: 45
    Options
    I'd say eat and drink what you can. Drinking water combats hunger at least a bit, get yourself plenty of any jelly you are allowed to have your hands on too. Gets stomach full and for a bit longer than water since it's more solid.
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options

You might not 'need' to fast every week but some people choose to. If it works for an individual then who am I to say otherwise? Certainly I'm not going to laugh at someone who chooses to.

I have chosen to give fasting a try because of personal reasons. I have no opinion as to whether it works for me yet as I haven't been doing it long enough. But I wouldn't expect to be ridiculed for my choice on what is supposed to be a supportive site.
    If someone actually asks if you think it's a good idea then pass your judgemental comment if you feel the need.

If you do have to fast, stay hydrated, stay busy.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The most difficult part of the fast is always the first day.... that is when hunger pangs are the most stubborn. I am sorry you are being forced to fast. Hang in there, this too shall pass.
  • Cole114a
    Cole114a Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You have to be fasting for the right reasons. Fasting for me is about my faith in Jesus who said when you fast, not if you fast. Matthew 6:16. Fasting helps to teach me how to deny myself on those days when I do eat and suddenly get a craving for a food that is unhealthy.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options

Intermittent fasting is perfectly acceptable. A lot of people on here do it.
    That post doesn't say it's unacceptable. It is asking why you would NEED to fast every week. If you want to, more power to you, but, unless it's medically necessary, you don't NEED to.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options

You might not 'need' to fast every week but some people choose to. If it works for an individual then who am I to say otherwise? Certainly I'm not going to laugh at someone who chooses to.

I have chosen to give fasting a try because of personal reasons. I have no opinion as to whether it works for me yet as I haven't been doing it long enough. But I wouldn't expect to be ridiculed for my choice on what is supposed to be a supportive site.
    If someone actually asks if you think it's a good idea then pass your judgemental comment if you feel the need.

If you do have to fast, stay hydrated, stay busy.

They weren't laughing at the fasting they were laughing at the suggestion that you could die if you dont