Fasting is not fun.

Options
2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Maybe once I get past the mandatory fast I can try the master cleanse or something later on

I hope that's a joke?
  • czardastx
    czardastx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    YEAH, well, NOT Fasting will get you to the Hospital for Surgery quick. Giving your digestive system a rest 1, 2, 3 times a week could save your LIFE!
    Why would you need to fast every week?!:laugh:

You might not 'need' to fast every week but some people choose to. If it works for an individual then who am I to say otherwise? Certainly I'm not going to laugh at someone who chooses to.

I have chosen to give fasting a try because of personal reasons. I have no opinion as to whether it works for me yet as I haven't been doing it long enough. But I wouldn't expect to be ridiculed for my choice on what is supposed to be a supportive site.
    If someone actually asks if you think it's a good idea then pass your judgemental comment if you feel the need.

If you do have to fast, stay hydrated, stay busy.

Huh...I didn't see a judgemental comment, just a question.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Maybe once I get past the mandatory fast I can try the master cleanse or something later on

Please don't - that's quackery of the highest order!!
    And that's speaking as someone who has been following the 5:2 fasting regime for a year (2 non-consecutive days very low calories, 5 days eating normally).

Extended fasts (3 days upwards) are not just pointless (what are you "cleansing" that your body can't cope with normally?) but are actually counter-productive.

Tips to get through a fasting day:
    Drink plenty of water, keep busy, try and keep the same caffeine level as a normal day.
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options
    YEAH, well, NOT Fasting will get you to the Hospital for Surgery quick. Giving your digestive system a rest 1, 2, 3 times a week could save your LIFE!

You might not 'need' to fast every week but some people choose to. If it works for an individual then who am I to say otherwise? Certainly I'm not going to laugh at someone who chooses to.

I have chosen to give fasting a try because of personal reasons. I have no opinion as to whether it works for me yet as I haven't been doing it long enough. But I wouldn't expect to be ridiculed for my choice on what is supposed to be a supportive site.
    If someone actually asks if you think it's a good idea then pass your judgemental comment if you feel the need.

So the laughing smiley was....?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I don't know how people can do this willingly. If anyone has done a fast before please let me know if you have any tips.

I IF sometimes, right now i'm on hour 16 of an intermittent fast, I might eat soon, or wait until this evening.

How do I do it? Hm. I don't think about it. I will drink some water or bourbon. (I kid. Who drinks water?)
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i had to do the same thing when i had surgery in march.. by 6PM i was almost in tears from how hungry i was. i went to bed shortly after - thankfully i had to be at the hospital by 5AM.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options

Since you apparently want to pick and choose the posts you respond to, here I'll help:
    They weren't laughing at the fasting they were laughing at the suggestion that you could die if you dont

And:
    That post doesn't say it's unacceptable. It is asking why you would NEED to fast every week. If you want to, more power to you, but, unless it's medically necessary, you don't NEED to.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Aside from skipping dinner/breakfast here and there, the only 'fast' I have done is a three day apple fast. I was kind of hungry on the third day ;)

Just distract yourself and maybe you won't think about food.
  • japeykindig
    Options
    Regarding the 8/16 hours diet, I don't remember where I read it but I think it was a health magazine in an article that was talking about common myths of dieting. One is to eat many tiny meals a day. The article said this leaves some people feeling constantly hungry and it doesn't help if you eat 1500 calories over the course of the day and still feel hungry. So some college somewhere did an experiement and found that some people experienced less hunger if they most/ate all their calories in one meal versus throughout the day. And these meals were packed with protein and complex carbs. And I know that I was already doing this unintentionally. I generally eat a small breakfast cause I'm hungry when I wake up, and then I have a really large lunch and I hardly ever eat supper. So all my calories are generally eaten in about 5 hours. Also, I drink lots of water or black or green tea.

For fasting - I've had a colonoscopy 4 times (I have an IBD). I find that I can't do broth because it is warm and makes me feel gaggy. I do jello and koolaid for sugar so I don't feel as bad. And then I try to keep my mind occupied on tasks - watch some movies you've been meaning to see, play a game/puzzle, or do a hobby that keeps your mind and hands busy. I remember when you used to have to drink a ton of fluid (GoLytle) and it was miserable. If you are feeling bloated, make a pot of black coffee and take a couple sips if you can. Digestion starts with scent and something with a strong smell like coffee could get everything moving if you've taken the prep but it isn't coming out right away.
  • czardastx
    czardastx Posts: 127 Member
    Options

I don't know, I didn't post it.

But I can tell you that this one :laugh: is at YOU!

Don't bother replying, I'm not reading this topic any longer after I hit the green post reply button.
  • Nico_the_enabler
    Nico_the_enabler Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the tests. I hope all comes back good. :)