Why do I need to buy Organic?

Options
EDesq
EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
When all I have to do is WASH My Fruits and Veggies in a Solution of White Vinegar and Baking SODA for at least 5 minutes (Research for amts.); this INCLUDES the Pre-Packaged Pre-Washed Produce and FROZEN. YEAH, sorry but those frozen berries used for those Smoothies ALSO have pesticides on them. I can see buying milled grains organic because we can not clean them properly and we have to have "faith" that the Miller is doing the right thing; but there are nasty, dangerous NATURAL pesticides that Organic Farmers use on their produce, so Organic Produce MUST also be washed in the Solution (manure carry some killer e-coli...). Pesticides are not absorbed into the Produce(or better said Plants filter out), so a good washing is all that is needed, and the Solution cuts through any wax put on the Produce. You may say , well, I want to make sure I do not get GMO, 2 Things: (1) KNOW your Tags on the Produce and what they mean (Google It)! Too many people on MFP are lazy and want people to do Research for them. (2) Yes, GMO Produce can Also be Organic (Know your Tags)!

So, yeah, FRESH Produce just needs a good washing, Conventional or ORGANICALLY Grown. In a can or frozen or packaged should be bought Organic because if it is not surely it is GMO. I eat 95% Whole Fresh Foods (Produce) and this is what I advocate. But do NOT Sweat over the cost of Organic. Just know your Tags and wash!

ETA: And also wash the Produce whose outside is not eaten, the knife has to penetrate to the inside and can carry the pesticide...like an avocado or melon... ALL Fresh Produce should be washed in the White Vinegar-Baking Soda Solution.

Replies

• Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Now that's clean eating.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    You don't. Organic is a marketing term, nothing more. It is NOT what people think it is, nor mean what the vast majority of people think it does.
  • EDesq
    Options
    Now that's clean eating.

Yep! All the way! Correct Knowledge and Action are POWERFUL
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I've never been one to argue with the Caps Lock key
  • EDesq
    Options
    You don't. Organic is a marketing term, nothing more. It is NOT what people think it is, nor mean what the vast majority of people think it does.

Absolutely...One reason I posted this is because on FB someone in one of the Forums stated that she found 2 spiders on some Organic grapes she was eating. I said, well, that is Natural, but did you WASH them before eating them. She said," They are Organic and i do not wash Organic Produce". I just about "fainted" at what she said, and it told Me 2 things, (1) People are Ignorant about Organic and what it means, (2) People are really separated from our food supply, they do not know that bugs are natural to fresh produce and why...not to mention other mis-conceptions.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't KNOW why you have to BUY organic Fruits and vegetables.

DO Whatever you Want. It's UP to You.
  • EDesq
    Options
    I've never been one to argue with the Caps Lock key

I've NEVER been one to NOT be EXPRESSIVE. I'll NEVER be described as "White Bread", Vanilla or Bland. :bigsmile:
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    CAPS_lock.png
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Organic is a marketing term that businesses slap on items to justify charging you extra until they are caught or called out on it. I remember when Nutella was using health and organic in their campaign they had to pay back people for all their purchases.
  • EDesq
    Options
    I don't KNOW why you have to BUY organic Fruits and vegetables.

DO Whatever you Want. It's UP to You.

RIGHT! But there are those who are "trippin" over the greatness of Organic and others who are "Fretting" because they can not afford Organic. My position is BOTH need to chill, they have been had by the Food Industry, AGAIN!
  • strick1982
    Options
    On top of the gooies that come from all veggies/fruits because of the way it's grown, I wash due to the fact that people handle the produce from the time it leaves the farm to the grocery store. Who knows what gooies those hands are carrying.
  • EDesq
    Options
    CAPS_lock.png

So why is it that the ANAL RECESSIVE need to try and CONTROL Others and how others EXPRESS Themselves. But they can NOT comment on the TOPIC. Like they are CONTROL FREAKS and their BUDDIES are Little FOLLOWERS who have NO MIND of their OWN, so they jump right in.

SO, what's your OPINION on the TOPIC or are you waiting for your "Friend" to prescribe one for YOU!
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    What does washing produce have to do with why one should buy organic?

I'm confused.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    The non-GMO thing gets to me.

Personally, I would prefer to eat non-GMO, but in America, that's essentially impossible. Cross pollination between GMO and non-GMO foods happens all the time. Unless you're in some remote area where there's absolutely no GMO products being grown for hundreds miles, it's likely that your GMO-free products aren't quite as GMO-free as you'd like.

I only know this because my uncle is a scientist who's been genetically modifying crops for the past 20-30 years. :grumble: Makes me sick to say so, but he's a pretty reliable source when it comes to genetic modifications. We had a huge discussion about this at our last family gathering--my other uncle and dad who are both conservationists had a fit!
  • _noob_
    Options
    So why is it that the ANAL RECESSIVE need to try and CONTROL Others and how others EXPRESS Themselves. But they can NOT comment on the TOPIC. Like they are CONTROL FREAKS and their BUDDIES are Little FOLLOWERS who have NO MIND of their OWN, so they jump right in.

SO, what's your OPINION on the TOPIC or are you waiting for your "Friend" to prescribe one for YOU!

my opinion is that I don't care enough about the pesticides in ANY produce to spend time and money on products washing them. My between 0.2 and 3 ppm free chlorine residual in my tap water is just fine for washing.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    If you don't want to -- don't.

Very simple.

If you don't want to buy organic food, do not buy organic food.

Someone else may wish to. They may wish to support local farmers or protect some watersheds. Or they may want to avoid some pesticides, or may have any reason they wish to do so (they don't even have to meet anyone else's standard of 'valid' as long as it's what they wish to do). There are reasons why someone may wish to eat organic. And that person can eat organic if they want to. There's no reason that YOU must (and no reason that they musn't).

Everyone can eat whatever the heck they want and allow others the same freedom to eat whatever the heck they want to. No one is holding a gun to someone else's head to eat organic or to eat processed food.

I honestly don't know what the constant pie fights about this issue are about. If you don't want to eat something -- don't! -- while allowing the same freedom to someone else to not eat what they don't want to eat either.
  • youknowmynamelookupthenumber
    Options
    Well if you're looking for a reason to buy organic other than the fact that there aren't pesticides ON your produce, my argument would be this:

The massive amounts of pesticides and herbicides that are sprayed on industrial farms not only go on your produce, it goes in the ground and gets into our waterways. It not only affects the health of our water, it affects the health of our ecosystem though every living thing it touches (animals, bugs, bees, etc.). If that doesn't bother you, then you have no reason to buy organic.
  • youknowmynamelookupthenumber
    Options
    Well if you're looking for a reason to buy organic other than the fact that there aren't pesticides ON your produce, my argument would be this:

The massive amounts of pesticides and herbicides that are sprayed on industrial farms not only go on your produce, it goes in the ground and gets into our waterways. It not only affects the health of our water, it affects the health of our ecosystem though every living thing it touches (animals, bugs, bees, etc.). If that doesn't bother you, then you have no reason to buy organic.

Sorry - to follow up with what I said. Based only on the fact that you find it necessary to go through such trouble to remove the pesticides from your produce, I would tend to believe that you find pesticides harmful. This alone should be reason to think twice before allowing such pesticides into our environment.
  • _noob_
    Options

yeah, I 'm good with that. No guilt here in not eating organic.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that much time to waste.