• TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    very confused

not sure if srs
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    after you buy a Prius, you are obligated to only buy organic foods from that point forward.

it's in the small print of the sales contract.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Absolutely...One reason I posted this is because on FB someone in one of the Forums stated that she found 2 spiders on some Organic grapes she was eating.

That's good protein.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I don't KNOW why you have to BUY organic Fruits and vegetables.

DO Whatever you Want. It's UP to You.

I know, I could always steal them instead.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So why is it that the ANAL RECESSIVE need to try and CONTROL Others

I hate it when my anals recess.
  • rml_16
    Options
    very confused

not sure if srs
    Oh yes. Definitely serious. Which is what's funny.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    So why is it that the ANAL RECESSIVE need to try and CONTROL Others

I hate it when my anals recess.

lmao
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    I think there's food in the supermarket labeled organic.

And there's farmers who adhere to an organic philosophy.

Not the same thing.

I'm thinking about moving towards an organic mindset. But the only realistic way to know that I'm getting what I pay for is to buy local. Farmers markets and such where there's no middle man between the source and the buyer.
  • rml_16
    Options
    So why is it that the ANAL RECESSIVE need to try and CONTROL Others and how others EXPRESS Themselves. But they can NOT comment on the TOPIC. Like they are CONTROL FREAKS and their BUDDIES are Little FOLLOWERS who have NO MIND of their OWN, so they jump right in.

SO, what's your OPINION on the TOPIC or are you waiting for your "Friend" to prescribe one for YOU!

The Others take your organic.

(It is known.)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    When all I have to do is WASH My Fruits and Veggies in a Solution of White Vinegar and Baking SODA for at least 5 minutes

You do realize that the pesticides will absorb through the permeable skin into the flesh, right?
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    When all I have to do is WASH My Fruits and Veggies in a Solution of White Vinegar and Baking SODA for at least 5 minutes

You do realize that the pesticides will absorb through the permeable skin into the flesh, right?

NO, that's the WHOLE POINT...it does not! Also, "Organic" Farmers use Pesticides... EVERY Farmer uses Pesticides, Fungicides. I buy Farmer's Mkts., CSA and anything else Local; that only means FRESH. Talk to the Farmers. Local, Fresh, Conventional is the way I prefer to purchase. I do not mind doing what is Healthful, I MAKE Time to select My Food and WASH it Properly.

To that other person who buys "Organic" for "The Cause"...I say do not allow "Organic" to be the BASIS of Your Cause, ALL Farmers use Pesticides... Protest the Basis of the problem, Organic is NOT the Solution.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    Can I Ask WHAT is with All of The RANDOM capitalizaTION? I makes Things difficult TO Read. (And Nearly ImPOSSible to Take you SERIOUSLY.)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Well if you're looking for a reason to buy organic other than the fact that there aren't pesticides ON your produce, my argument would be this:

The massive amounts of pesticides and herbicides that are sprayed on industrial farms not only go on your produce, it goes in the ground and gets into our waterways. It not only affects the health of our water, it affects the health of our ecosystem though every living thing it touches (animals, bugs, bees, etc.). If that doesn't bother you, then you have no reason to buy organic.

If you think the term "organic" means there aren't using pesticides on your produce, you (like most other people) are sorely mistaken.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/998983-misconceptions-of-organic-food-s

Here's a, partial, list of substances allowed by the USDA to be used on food and still be labeled "Organic", which includes pesticides:

(a) As algicide, disinfectants, and sanitizer, including irrigation system cleaning systems.

(1) Alcohols.

(i) Ethanol.

(ii) Isopropanol.

(2) Chlorine materials—For pre-harvest use, residual chlorine levels in the water in direct crop contact or as water from cleaning irrigation systems applied to soil must not exceed the maximum residual disinfectant limit under the Safe Drinking Water Act, except that chlorine products may be used in edible sprout production according to EPA label directions.

(i) Calcium hypochlorite.

(ii) Chlorine dioxide.

(iii) Sodium hypochlorite.

(3) Copper sulfate—for use as an algicide in aquatic rice systems, is limited to one application per field during any 24-month period. Application rates are limited to those which do not increase baseline soil test values for copper over a timeframe agreed upon by the producer and accredited certifying agent.

(4) Hydrogen peroxide.

(5) Ozone gas—for use as an irrigation system cleaner only.

(6) Peracetic acid—for use in disinfecting equipment, seed, and asexually propagated planting material.

(7) Soap-based algicide/demossers.

(8) Sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate (CAS #-15630-89-4)—Federal law restricts the use of this substance in food crop production to approved food uses identified on the product label.

(b) As herbicides, weed barriers, as applicable.

(1) Herbicides, soap-based—for use in farmstead maintenance (roadways, ditches, right of ways, building perimeters) and ornamental crops.

(2) Mulches.

(i) Newspaper or other recycled paper, without glossy or colored inks.

(ii) Plastic mulch and covers (petroleum-based other than polyvinyl chloride (PVC)).

(c) As compost feedstocks—Newspapers or other recycled paper, without glossy or colored inks.

(d) As animal repellents—Soaps, ammonium—for use as a large animal repellant only, no contact with soil or edible portion of crop.

(e) As insecticides (including acaricides or mite control).

(1) Ammonium carbonate—for use as bait in insect traps only, no direct contact with crop or soil.

(2) Aqueous potassium silicate (CAS #-1312-76-1)—the silica, used in the manufacture of potassium silicate, must be sourced from naturally occurring sand.

(3) Boric acid—structural pest control, no direct contact with organic food or crops.

(4) Copper sulfate—for use as tadpole shrimp control in aquatic rice production, is limited to one application per field during any 24-month period. Application rates are limited to levels which do not increase baseline soil test values for copper over a timeframe agreed upon by the producer and accredited certifying agent.

(5) Elemental sulfur.

(6) Lime sulfur—including calcium polysulfide.

(7) Oils, horticultural—narrow range oils as dormant, suffocating, and summer oils.

(8) Soaps, insecticidal.

(9) Sticky traps/barriers.

(10) Sucrose octanoate esters (CAS #s—42922-74-7; 58064-47-4)—in accordance with approved labeling.

(f) As insect management. Pheromones.

(g) As rodenticides. Vitamin D3 .

(h) As slug or snail bait. Ferric phosphate (CAS # 10045-86-0).

(i) As plant disease control.

(1) Aqueous potassium silicate (CAS #-1312-76-1)—the silica, used in the manufacture of potassium silicate, must be sourced from naturally occurring sand.

(2) Coppers, fixed—copper hydroxide, copper oxide, copper oxychloride, includes products exempted from EPA tolerance, Provided, That, copper-based materials must be used in a manner that minimizes accumulation in the soil and shall not be used as herbicides.

(3) Copper sulfate—Substance must be used in a manner that minimizes accumulation of copper in the soil.

(4) Hydrated lime.

(5) Hydrogen peroxide.

(6) Lime sulfur.

(7) Oils, horticultural, narrow range oils as dormant, suffocating, and summer oils.

(8) Peracetic acid—for use to control fire blight bacteria.

(9) Potassium bicarbonate.

(10) Elemental sulfur.

(11) Streptomycin, for fire blight control in apples and pears only until October 21, 2014.

(12) Tetracycline, for fire blight control in apples and pears only until October 21, 2014.

(j) As plant or soil amendments.

(1) Aquatic plant extracts (other than hydrolyzed)—Extraction process is limited to the use of potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide; solvent amount used is limited to that amount necessary for extraction.

(2) Elemental sulfur.

(3) Humic acids—naturally occurring deposits, water and alkali extracts only.

(4) Lignin sulfonate—chelating agent, dust suppressant.

(5) Magnesium sulfate—allowed with a documented soil deficiency.

(6) Micronutrients—not to be used as a defoliant, herbicide, or desiccant. Those made from nitrates or chlorides are not allowed. Soil deficiency must be documented by testing.

(i) Soluble boron products.

(ii) Sulfates, carbonates, oxides, or silicates of zinc, copper, iron, manganese, molybdenum, selenium, and cobalt.

(7) Liquid fish products—can be pH adjusted with sulfuric, citric or phosphoric acid. The amount of acid used shall not exceed the minimum needed to lower the pH to 3.5.

(8) Vitamins, B1 , C, and E.

(9) Sulfurous acid (CAS # 7782-99-2) for on-farm generation of substance utilizing 99% purity elemental sulfur per paragraph (j)(2) of this section.

(k) As plant growth regulators. Ethylene gas—for regulation of pineapple flowering.

(l) As floating agents in postharvest handling.

(1) Lignin sulfonate.

(2) Sodium silicate—for tree fruit and fiber processing.

(m) As synthetic inert ingredients as classified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), for use with nonsynthetic substances or synthetic substances listed in this section and used as an active pesticide ingredient in accordance with any limitations on the use of such substances.

(1) EPA List 4—Inerts of Minimal Concern.

(2) EPA List 3—Inerts of unknown toxicity—for use only in passive pheromone dispensers.

(n) Seed preparations. Hydrogen chloride (CAS # 7647-01-0)—for delinting cotton seed for planting.

(o) As production aids. Microcrystalline cheesewax (CAS #'s 64742-42-3, 8009-03-08, and 8002-74-2)-for use in log grown mushroom production. Must be made without either ethylene-propylene co-polymer or synthetic colors.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=08ed863d93110c01cb0728f8070a052f&rgn=div8&view=text&node=7:3.1.1.9.32.7.354.2&idno=7
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Well if you're looking for a reason to buy organic other than the fact that there aren't pesticides ON your produce, my argument would be this:

The massive amounts of pesticides and herbicides that are sprayed on industrial farms not only go on your produce, it goes in the ground and gets into our waterways. It not only affects the health of our water, it affects the health of our ecosystem though every living thing it touches (animals, bugs, bees, etc.). If that doesn't bother you, then you have no reason to buy organic.

If you think the term "organic" means there aren't using pesticides on your produce, you (like most other people) are sorely mistaken.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/998983-misconceptions-of-organic-food-s

Here's a, partial, list of substances allowed by the USDA to be used on food and still be labeled "Organic", which includes pesticides:

(a) As algicide, disinfectants, and sanitizer, including irrigation system cleaning systems.

(1) Alcohols.

(i) Ethanol.

(ii) Isopropanol.

(2) Chlorine materials—For pre-harvest use, residual chlorine levels in the water in direct crop contact or as water from cleaning irrigation systems applied to soil must not exceed the maximum residual disinfectant limit under the Safe Drinking Water Act, except that chlorine products may be used in edible sprout production according to EPA label directions.

(i) Calcium hypochlorite.

(ii) Chlorine dioxide.

(iii) Sodium hypochlorite.

(3) Copper sulfate—for use as an algicide in aquatic rice systems, is limited to one application per field during any 24-month period. Application rates are limited to those which do not increase baseline soil test values for copper over a timeframe agreed upon by the producer and accredited certifying agent.

(4) Hydrogen peroxide.

(5) Ozone gas—for use as an irrigation system cleaner only.

(6) Peracetic acid—for use in disinfecting equipment, seed, and asexually propagated planting material.

(7) Soap-based algicide/demossers.

(8) Sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate (CAS #-15630-89-4)—Federal law restricts the use of this substance in food crop production to approved food uses identified on the product label.

(b) As herbicides, weed barriers, as applicable.

(1) Herbicides, soap-based—for use in farmstead maintenance (roadways, ditches, right of ways, building perimeters) and ornamental crops.

(2) Mulches.

(i) Newspaper or other recycled paper, without glossy or colored inks.

(ii) Plastic mulch and covers (petroleum-based other than polyvinyl chloride (PVC)).

(c) As compost feedstocks—Newspapers or other recycled paper, without glossy or colored inks.

(d) As animal repellents—Soaps, ammonium—for use as a large animal repellant only, no contact with soil or edible portion of crop.

(e) As insecticides (including acaricides or mite control).

(1) Ammonium carbonate—for use as bait in insect traps only, no direct contact with crop or soil.

(2) Aqueous potassium silicate (CAS #-1312-76-1)—the silica, used in the manufacture of potassium silicate, must be sourced from naturally occurring sand.

(3) Boric acid—structural pest control, no direct contact with organic food or crops.

(4) Copper sulfate—for use as tadpole shrimp control in aquatic rice production, is limited to one application per field during any 24-month period. Application rates are limited to levels which do not increase baseline soil test values for copper over a timeframe agreed upon by the producer and accredited certifying agent.

(5) Elemental sulfur.

(6) Lime sulfur—including calcium polysulfide.

(7) Oils, horticultural—narrow range oils as dormant, suffocating, and summer oils.

(8) Soaps, insecticidal.

(9) Sticky traps/barriers.

(10) Sucrose octanoate esters (CAS #s—42922-74-7; 58064-47-4)—in accordance with approved labeling.

(f) As insect management. Pheromones.

(g) As rodenticides. Vitamin D3 .

(h) As slug or snail bait. Ferric phosphate (CAS # 10045-86-0).

(i) As plant disease control.

(1) Aqueous potassium silicate (CAS #-1312-76-1)—the silica, used in the manufacture of potassium silicate, must be sourced from naturally occurring sand.

(2) Coppers, fixed—copper hydroxide, copper oxide, copper oxychloride, includes products exempted from EPA tolerance, Provided, That, copper-based materials must be used in a manner that minimizes accumulation in the soil and shall not be used as herbicides.

(3) Copper sulfate—Substance must be used in a manner that minimizes accumulation of copper in the soil.

(4) Hydrated lime.

(5) Hydrogen peroxide.

(6) Lime sulfur.

(7) Oils, horticultural, narrow range oils as dormant, suffocating, and summer oils.

(8) Peracetic acid—for use to control fire blight bacteria.

(9) Potassium bicarbonate.

(10) Elemental sulfur.

(11) Streptomycin, for fire blight control in apples and pears only until October 21, 2014.

(12) Tetracycline, for fire blight control in apples and pears only until October 21, 2014.

(j) As plant or soil amendments.

(1) Aquatic plant extracts (other than hydrolyzed)—Extraction process is limited to the use of potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide; solvent amount used is limited to that amount necessary for extraction.

(2) Elemental sulfur.

(3) Humic acids—naturally occurring deposits, water and alkali extracts only.

(4) Lignin sulfonate—chelating agent, dust suppressant.

(5) Magnesium sulfate—allowed with a documented soil deficiency.

(6) Micronutrients—not to be used as a defoliant, herbicide, or desiccant. Those made from nitrates or chlorides are not allowed. Soil deficiency must be documented by testing.

(i) Soluble boron products.

(ii) Sulfates, carbonates, oxides, or silicates of zinc, copper, iron, manganese, molybdenum, selenium, and cobalt.

(7) Liquid fish products—can be pH adjusted with sulfuric, citric or phosphoric acid. The amount of acid used shall not exceed the minimum needed to lower the pH to 3.5.

(8) Vitamins, B1 , C, and E.

(9) Sulfurous acid (CAS # 7782-99-2) for on-farm generation of substance utilizing 99% purity elemental sulfur per paragraph (j)(2) of this section.

(k) As plant growth regulators. Ethylene gas—for regulation of pineapple flowering.

(l) As floating agents in postharvest handling.

(1) Lignin sulfonate.

(2) Sodium silicate—for tree fruit and fiber processing.

(m) As synthetic inert ingredients as classified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), for use with nonsynthetic substances or synthetic substances listed in this section and used as an active pesticide ingredient in accordance with any limitations on the use of such substances.

(1) EPA List 4—Inerts of Minimal Concern.

(2) EPA List 3—Inerts of unknown toxicity—for use only in passive pheromone dispensers.

(n) Seed preparations. Hydrogen chloride (CAS # 7647-01-0)—for delinting cotton seed for planting.

(o) As production aids. Microcrystalline cheesewax (CAS #'s 64742-42-3, 8009-03-08, and 8002-74-2)-for use in log grown mushroom production. Must be made without either ethylene-propylene co-polymer or synthetic colors.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=08ed863d93110c01cb0728f8070a052f&rgn=div8&view=text&node=7:3.1.1.9.32.7.354.2&idno=7

Good Info. ALSO, many people think that Organic Farmers are all "The Small Farmer" they are Mistaken. They will soon find that the SAME companies that sell GMO's and own the Industrial Farms also own many Organic Farms. I was shocked when I visited an Organic Farm and when I got there I discovered that it was a 7 State operation and thousands of acres.

I am not against "Organic" but why do we need "Organic", why not Clean-up what we have instead of making another Industry and driving up Prices. The FDA can make ANY Regs they want to and have. The stuff that is used on Organic Food is just as dangerous to health as those on Conventional produce. Those people (Do Gooders or whomever) are just DRIVING Prices UP because of their Ignorance...HECK, Monsanto is just sitting back laughing at how gullible people are. ANYWAY, just a little white vinegar and baking soda and 7 minutes will save people "TONS" of money to spend else where.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options

^ this.

Personally i don't mind the extra cost. I do recognize the current problem with big farm organics though, and try to get csa boxes and food from my farmers market. As far as not washing any fruit or vegie, that's just silly. Unless you like the taste of dirt.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    after you buy a Prius, you are obligated to only buy organic foods from that point forward.

it's in the small print of the sales contract.

And to smell your own farts.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Just follow the Dirty Dozen to the best of your ability and you'll be fine. :)

And shop your local farmer's market! Know your farmer. :)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

^ this.

Personally i don't mind the extra cost. I do recognize the current problem with big farm organics though, and try to get csa boxes and food from my farmers market. As far as not washing any fruit or vegie, that's just silly. Unless you like the taste of dirt.

Or the taste of poop. :bigsmile:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Honestly it's all just a matter of how much you care and how much effort you want to put into it. For example, I eat organic produce, but I also get mine through a CSA and I know the farmer and farm it all comes from. I know the techniques they use, and I know how it's all grown (sans GMOs). The average person going to the supermarket isn't privy to that information, so typically yes they're getting screwed when they shell out more $ for the organic stuff. Real organic produce is superior in my opinion, but if you're at a generic supermarket it probably makes little difference if you're going to be washing it when you get home.

So the question you need to ask yourself is - what's important to me? and if eating organic food and non-GMO food isn't important, then you don't need to buy organic.

and yes, don't call it a second comeback.