Minimalist shoes for heavy runners

Options
2»

Replies

• doug_pierce
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I qualify as a "Heavy Runner" (5'8" just under 200lbs). I love running in Vibrams. My typical run is 4.5-5mi, and I alternate runs between vibrams and regular running shoes.
  • artcwolf
    artcwolf Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm not running yet, but i'm walking a lot more. I picked up a pair of Fila Skele-toes and i haven't touched my nike's since.

Now the fila's are NOT the best by far, but at $25 it allowed me to try out minimalist shoes cheaply. My feet do not hurt after a good 2 mile walk, my knees do not hurt, and honestly when i wear my boots my body is starting to grumble about it.

Sometime in the next couple of months i'm going to buy me a pair of vibrams.

I'm also 5'8" 201lb, with knee problems from accidents.
  • resistance_freak
    Options
    I will echo some of the others here and say that when you begin running in a minimalist shoe take it very slowly at first and add mileage gradually. When I switched from a traditional running shoe to a Nike Free, and then to Vibram Five Fingers I did not give myself the proper acclimation period and ended up injuring my achilles. Essentially, I took the stress off of my knees and placed it onto my calves and achilles and because they weren't strong enough at first to handle it, that's where the injury occurred.

I now wear a Merrell shoe with a Vibram sole (sorry, but I can't remember the model but it is a minimalist shoe) and I couldn't be happier with how I'm running in them. I've also dropped a significant amount of weight since my achilles injury so that obviously helps with the stress on my joints as well.

My advice would basically be to take it slow. Slower than you feel like you need to. Your cardio will almost certainly outpace your calves and achilles when it comes to being strong enough to handle the repetitive stress of running..
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    What advantage are you trying to gain by going minimalist?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    A note on distance: When I first switched to the Pure Series, I couldn't run more than 10 miles in them. I didn't have calf issues, it was just something about the design made my footpads hurt (not blister, just hurt a ton).

The second iteration of the series was much better. I ran 20 miles yesterday in my Pure Cadence 2s, and had no problem.

I have run as much as 14 miles in my New Balance Minimus trail shoes. I like them more for technical/single track running. I have cushier traditional Mizunos for mountainous running on smoother surfaces.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I use brooks Pureflow 2 which are a 4.5mm drop I believe and I weigh about 205lbs. I haven't had an issue. My transition was easy though since I'm not really a heel-toe runner and I bought them after about a month of getting into running
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I wondered if a 'true' minimalist shoe would be too much for someone carrying a fair bit of weight? That's really I guess the heart of my question.

I wondered about the cadence, as I really do love my brooks.
    I think the main factor would be how strong your feet and lower legs are right now rather than weight. If you always wear shoes and haven't been barefoot in 20 years then your feet and calves might need a lot of work. If you are often barefoot you will adapt more quickly.

I agree with this. Minimalist running will actually cause less stress on your knees and back as compared to traditional running shoes. The reason for this is that it will force you to land on your forefoot/mid-foot instead of your heel.

However your risk for calf strain, Achilles tendinitis and stress fractures in your foot will be greater unless you build up mileage very gradually. There are many exercises you can do to help strengthen the relevant muscle groups. However, please don't increase mileage too quickly!

I started running last fall after reading Born to Run, which I highly recommend:
    http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/0307279189

I run in 0mm drop shoes (or barefoot) 95% of the time and only occasionally run in 4mm drop shoes. My first marathon in October will be ran in my Vibram Bikilas:
    http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-Bikila-Mens.htm

Good luck!
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    they are the only shoes I can run in - I have underarmor spines that I wear for general gym use and I have tried running in them but my stride always lands on my heels and results in a shorter stride and shin pain - when I switch to my minimalist sole shoes (I run in vibrams) it automatically fixes my stride and I land on the ball of my feet.

it took a few weeks of running in them for my calves to get used to actually having to carry a lot of the load in my changed stride - but for someone who never runs I was basically able to go from running 10 min intervals with shin pain to 30-45 minute intervals, essentially a 5k at a slower pace (I have no desire to run over that haha)

so I would vote give them a go!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Very interesting video from the Author of Born to Run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_usxrvKvus
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I would go to a running store and get fitted, but a few things:

I ran in Adrenaline's for a long time, then switched to Pure Cadence (12mm drop to 4mm drop) to help my foot and ankle strength. They work well, but shoes will be very specific to each runner. If it ain't broke...you know?
    Transitioning to true minimalist shoes if you have been using traditional drop shoes in the past will take an adjustment. I tried running in Newtons once (I think a 3mm drop, even though I was used to 4mm by then), and after a few miles my legs were aching. There will be some calf pain. Go slow.
    Minimalist shoes are a big trend right now, but its all about what works for your feet. Make sure the store you buy them from has a good return policy.

i'm putting all my chips on this answer right here