New Research: It may not be as simple as CICO?

Options
I considered putting this in Debates - Mods, if you think this should be moved, please do.
(I'm not trying to start an argument or debunk people's beliefs, just add something new to the discussion.)

Here is a fascinating article titled: "Why Crash Weight Loss Programs Don't Work: Clues From Hunter-Gatherer Societies"
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/07/16/1016931725/study-of-hunter-gatherer-lifestyle-shows-why-crash-weight-loss-programs-dont-wor

I think the title is a bit misleading (click bait?) because the article is more about sustained efforts at exercise and weight loss.

Basically it says that our metabolisms DO change based on past exercise and eating (deficit) patterns.
That humans burn calories (on a daily average basis) in a very narrow range whether sedentary or very active.
Also seems to make solid arguments against the advantages of a Paleo/low carb diet.
But that exercise is still excellent for overall health.

"One of the most startling findings is the notion of constrained daily energy expenditure. This is the idea that the human metabolism adapts to our activity levels to keep our daily calorie burn in a surprisingly narrow range — no matter how hard you work out. But don't let that depressing fact hold you back from the gym — it's crucial that you still get daily exercise for weight maintenance and overall health." (my emphasis)

Lots of other interesting information tidbits here (including how pregnancy is like competing in the Tour de France, energy-wise!).

So it seems that CICO still applies, but not "simple" in that the CO part may vary over time based on our past activity.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I considered putting this in Debates - Mods, if you think this should be moved, please do.
    (I'm not trying to start an argument or debunk people's beliefs, just add something new to the discussion.)

Here is a fascinating article titled: "Why Crash Weight Loss Programs Don't Work: Clues From Hunter-Gatherer Societies"
    https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/07/16/1016931725/study-of-hunter-gatherer-lifestyle-shows-why-crash-weight-loss-programs-dont-wor

I think the title is a bit misleading (click bait?) because the article is more about sustained efforts at exercise and weight loss.

Basically it says that our metabolisms DO change based on past exercise and eating (deficit) patterns.
    That humans burn calories (on a daily average basis) in a very narrow range whether sedentary or very active.
    Also seems to make solid arguments against the advantages of a Paleo/low carb diet.

"One of the most startling findings is the notion of constrained daily energy expenditure. This is the idea that the human metabolism adapts to our activity levels to keep our daily calorie burn in a surprisingly narrow range — no matter how hard you work out.

If this were true, how did Olympic-level swimmers like Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte get away with consuming 8000 to 12000 calories a day without turning into Jabba the Hutt?

I think Olympic athletes are statistical anomalies really, in a lot of ways. Most have been training intensely since they were young and would have a higher BMR then most humans on any given day. Also, I think the 8000-10000 calories/day is when they're training super-intensely for something like the Olympics (like the article described when comparing Tour de France and pregnant women). Because they don't train that intensely all the time and it changes depending on what's going on, their metabolism doesn't adapt to that "narrow range." My guess is that they may actually be eating in a surplus, too, to build more muscle for the Olympics (still a crazy amount, though!).
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I don't know if this reflects only the desire for eyeballs with clickbait or a manifestation of the power of denial or both.

But, keeping the bag of water at 98.6 degrees and replacing about 96 million cells per minute is about all that is necessary to make dietary driven CICO the rule for measuring weigh loss. Persons who rely on exercise for weight loss usually experience a lot of frustration because it takes so much exercise to burn off even a donut. And, of course, it makes them terribly hungry, just as nature intended. And, of course, crash dieting is just stupid, but everyone knows that whether they admit it or not. Its main benefit is the temporary release of guilt and shame and the warm glow of self-righteousness until the pounds load back up.
  • Speakeasy76
    Options

"One of the most startling findings is the notion of constrained daily energy expenditure. This is the idea that the human metabolism adapts to our activity levels to keep our daily calorie burn in a surprisingly narrow range — no matter how hard you work out.

If this were true, how did Olympic-level swimmers like Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte get away with consuming 8000 to 12000 calories a day without turning into Jabba the Hutt?

I think Olympic athletes are statistical anomalies really, in a lot of ways. Most have been training intensely since they were young and would have a higher BMR then most humans on any given day. Also, I think the 8000-10000 calories/day is when they're training super-intensely for something like the Olympics (like the article described when comparing Tour de France and pregnant women). Because they don't train that intensely all the time and it changes depending on what's going on, their metabolism doesn't adapt to that "narrow range." My guess is that they may actually be eating in a surplus, too, to build more muscle for the Olympics (still a crazy amount, though!).

So basically anything that would show that the premise in your quote in the OP about the daily burn staying in a narrow range will just be declared an anomaly and not have to be accounted for.

I am not an Olympic trained athlete, but I lose weight at a predictable rate when I tip my CICO into a deficit either by increasing CO or decreasing CI or some combination thereof. I have never biked in the Tour de France and am not pregnant. What anomaly category do I fall into?

So basically anything that would show that the premise in your quote in the OP about the daily burn staying in a narrow range will just be declared an anomaly and not have to be accounted for.

I am not an Olympic trained athlete, but I lose weight at a predictable rate when I tip my CICO into a deficit either by increasing CO or decreasing CI or some combination thereof. I have never biked in the Tour de France and am not pregnant. What anomaly category do I fall into?

I simply responded to your question based on my opinion and from the information that I gleaned from reading the article, so I don't see the reason for the snark in your reply to me. I also gave some other reasons beyond statistical anomaly for why they may burn rate at at a much higher rate when they increase their level of exercise, or did you just find the thing you wanted to argue with me about? Did you read the article entirely before responding to my post, where it admits there are people who burn at a a much higher rate during certain times?
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Since only about 20% of calorie burn is the consequence of all movement and exercise, and movement is pretty stable for each person and exercise is a few minutes per day, the numbers start getting really small and the article, really silly.

People get up, make breakfast, go to work, visit the loo, make the dinner and the bed and have sex pretty much independent of the 20 minutes or so they raise their activity level to run around the block or pedal to the tunes. So if only 50% of movement calorie burn is for every day activities and all of the rest of exercise, and all movement is 20% of calorie burn, then all exercise is at 10% of calories. For me, that is 174 calories to work with. If adaptation changes the burn by 15% which is probably high we are quibbling about 35 calories.

But wait, there's more. If someone burns 1000 calories running (about two hours of running) and we have adaptation of 15%, oh my gosh they only burned 850 calories. The difference being about one-third of a Crispy Kreme.
  • Speakeasy76
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I think Olympic athletes are statistical anomalies really, in a lot of ways. Most have been training intensely since they were young, so may guess is that their bodies eventually adapted to this high level of activity/CO. This is the reverse trend of what happens when someone eats very little for a long period of time.

The adaptation is fitness, and a high activity level: No need to reach much further for an arcane explanation.

I've been close to a successful collegiate (NCAA Div I) women's sports team, in a short endurance sport (rowing), knowing a number of the athletes personally.

Rowing is weird, sometimes varsity rowers are women who didn't do any sport at all in high school (though more commonly women who did a different sport(s), not necessarily always true endurance sports).

All of them on the team need to eat lots, pretty much from the start. Some of them lose weight so precipitously that they have to consume special calorie-intense shakes on top of whatever normal (high) eating they can tolerate. They're slim (being materially overweight is not helpful to boat speed), though not necessarily extremely thin. Eventually (after perhaps the novice year) they're muscular.

I've been at alumni reunion events, including some for people who rowed not that long before - within 5 years, say. Quite a large fraction of them have become overweight, some quite overweight. They were used to eating lot, moving lots; they kept eating relatively high amounts, materially reduced their activity level.

The results, overall, are about what you'd expect IMO if they were "metabolically normal".

Fitness and a high activity level are adaptations that are available to quite a range of people, including people who aren't and never will be elite athletes. 🤷‍♀️

Requires patience, persistence, and some time investment. I know several recreational athletes with a history of being overweight, who now eat quite high on the calorie scale for their demographic but are slim, because of high current activity. It's still just about calorie balance.

Thank you for always responding in a way that is thoughtful and respectful, even if you don't agree and even if what the poster says is kind of "out there!"

In regards to Olympic-level athletes and not really related to this post, I believe that most of them (especially in the more high-profile, commonly-played-by-kids-kind), it takes some level of "natural" talent, body shape conducive to specific sports, natural muscle tone and propensity to gain muscle, but I definitely don't think that's all of it. I also think grit and other innate psychological characteristics (like perseverance) are part of it too. I think it's a combination of both, and those that rely on natural talent don't fare nearly as well as others who don't have as much of it but work hard. I still bristle at the mantra told to kids "You can be ANYTHING you want to be!" and not I am actually quite realistic with my own kids (for better or worse). If there aren't already studies out there about it, it would be interested in finding out what are the underlying unifying characteristics of Olympic athletes. I do think "natural talent" may be lower on the list than expected, but things like grit and perseverance are much higher.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options

I think Olympic athletes are statistical anomalies really, in a lot of ways. Most have been training intensely since they were young, so may guess is that their bodies eventually adapted to this high level of activity/CO. This is the reverse trend of what happens when someone eats very little for a long period of time.

The adaptation is fitness, and a high activity level: No need to reach much further for an arcane explanation.

I've been close to a successful collegiate (NCAA Div I) women's sports team, in a short endurance sport (rowing), knowing a number of the athletes personally.

Rowing is weird, sometimes varsity rowers are women who didn't do any sport at all in high school (though more commonly women who did a different sport(s), not necessarily always true endurance sports).

All of them on the team need to eat lots, pretty much from the start. Some of them lose weight so precipitously that they have to consume special calorie-intense shakes on top of whatever normal (high) eating they can tolerate. They're slim (being materially overweight is not helpful to boat speed), though not necessarily extremely thin. Eventually (after perhaps the novice year) they're muscular.

I've been at alumni reunion events, including some for people who rowed not that long before - within 5 years, say. Quite a large fraction of them have become overweight, some quite overweight. They were used to eating lot, moving lots; they kept eating relatively high amounts, materially reduced their activity level.

The results, overall, are about what you'd expect IMO if they were "metabolically normal".

Fitness and a high activity level are adaptations that are available to quite a range of people, including people who aren't and never will be elite athletes. 🤷‍♀️

Requires patience, persistence, and some time investment. I know several recreational athletes with a history of being overweight, who now eat quite high on the calorie scale for their demographic but are slim, because of high current activity. It's still just about calorie balance.

Thank you for always responding in a way that is thoughtful and respectful, even if you don't agree and even if what the poster says is kind of "out there!"

In regards to Olympic-level athletes and not really related to this post, I believe that most of them (especially in the more high-profile, commonly-played-by-kids-kind), it takes some level of "natural" talent, body shape conducive to specific sports, natural muscle tone and propensity to gain muscle, but I definitely don't think that's all of it. I also think grit and other innate psychological characteristics (like perseverance) are part of it too. I think it's a combination of both, and those that rely on natural talent don't fare nearly as well as others who don't have as much of it but work hard. I still bristle at the mantra told to kids "You can be ANYTHING you want to be!" and not I am actually quite realistic with my own kids (for better or worse). If there aren't already studies out there about it, it would be interested in finding out what are the underlying unifying characteristics of Olympic athletes. I do think "natural talent" may be lower on the list than expected, but things like grit and perseverance are much higher.

For elite (anything), I think it usually takes both parts, some natural ability/inclination, plus some character attributes that lead the person to long and persistent practice and self-honing. There's probably also some luck in there.

For athletes specifically, in some sports, genetics are an almost unavoidable factor: In my sport, rowing, elites are tall people, mostly *really* tall, with a few outliers that are only medium-tall, but quite rarely. (Open class tend to be taller than lightweights, for obvious reasons.) In more popular sports, think about basketball: There's the occasional short high-level player, but it's quite exceptional.

This isn't just about natural talent inherent in body shape, there are also biases (that amount to luck or not, for the individual). One year, for example, the university rowing team I'm familiar with had a huge response from walk-ons wanting to join the team. They arbitrarily set a 5'10" height cut-off (that year only) just to narrow the pool to be further tried/tested. That, even though in other years some of their top rowers were only middling-height (5'7"-8", say). Rowing coxswains are all pretty tiny, usually right around 110 pounds (which is minimum weight, or the boat must add sandbags), because they don't row, they steer & run the race plans, so they're dead weight in the boat. Big people don't become elite coxswains, but not because they wouldn't/couldn't be excellent ones.

Coincidentally, I know 3 women who've rowed in the Olympics in various eras. Two, I know, hold gold medals (not sure about the 3rd; I know her record less well). I've shared meals with the two I know better, spent time in conversation with them, rowed in boats with them, etc. Their body composition is definitely non-average, even years after elite competition.

I haven't seen anything that suggests their metabolism is somehow super special, when it comes to calorie needs. They appear to eat in the same range as recreational athletes I know with body composition and activity levels that approach theirs (their *current* activity levels, to be clear, not when training, for those now long past elite competition).

Of course, I don't know what they eat and do every minute of every day, so that's an impression, not "proof" of anything.

ETA: To the bolded, thank you for saying that. I do try, though I'm 100% sure I do fail more than I'd like. I feel like it's good for all of us to share what we think and know openly, so that we can all expand our knowledge, and think that ridicule doesn't encourage open dialog.

With respect to fitness adaptations, I think that for someone like me before I became active in my 40s, it was tempting to believe that athletes were almost a different species metabolically . . . maybe even more tempting after I became quite active, but stayed overweight/obese. I thought I must have a "slow metabolism", especially since hypothyroid and post-menopausal besides. Calorie counting taught me that I (as an individual) *don't* have a slow metabolism, I was just eating more calories than my body required.

I'm not saying no one has a slow metabolism, in the sense of having lower calorie needs than the average person their size, even one of similar activity. I have no way of knowing, but it seems high probability that some people require fewer calories than the so-called calculators estimate.
  • Speakeasy76
    Options

For elite (anything), I think it usually takes both parts, some natural ability/inclination, plus some character attributes that lead the person to long and persistent practice and self-honing. There's probably also some luck in there.

For athletes specifically, in some sports, genetics are an almost unavoidable factor: In my sport, rowing, elites are tall people, mostly *really* tall, with a few outliers that are only medium-tall, but quite rarely. (Open class tend to be taller than lightweights, for obvious reasons.) In more popular sports, think about basketball: There's the occasional short high-level player, but it's quite exceptional.

This isn't just about natural talent inherent in body shape, there are also biases (that amount to luck or not, for the individual). One year, for example, the university rowing team I'm familiar with had a huge response from walk-ons wanting to join the team. They arbitrarily set a 5'10" height cut-off (that year only) just to narrow the pool to be further tried/tested. That, even though in other years some of their top rowers were only middling-height (5'7"-8", say). Rowing coxswains are all pretty tiny, usually right around 110 pounds (which is minimum weight, or the boat must add sandbags), because they don't row, they steer & run the race plans, so they're dead weight in the boat. Big people don't become elite coxswains, but not because they wouldn't/couldn't be excellent ones.

Coincidentally, I know 3 women who've rowed in the Olympics in various eras. Two, I know, hold gold medals (not sure about the 3rd; I know her record less well). I've shared meals with the two I know better, spent time in conversation with them, rowed in boats with them, etc. Their body composition is definitely non-average, even years after elite competition.

I haven't seen anything that suggests their metabolism is somehow super special, when it comes to calorie needs. They appear to eat in the same range as recreational athletes I know with body composition and activity levels that approach theirs (their *current* activity levels, to be clear, not when training, for those now long past elite competition).

Of course, I don't know what they eat and do every minute of every day, so that's an impression, not "proof" of anything.

ETA: To the bolded, thank you for saying that. I do try, though I'm 100% sure I do fail more than I'd like. I feel like it's good for all of us to share what we think and know openly, so that we can all expand our knowledge, and think that ridicule doesn't encourage open dialog.

With respect to fitness adaptations, I think that for someone like me before I became active in my 40s, it was tempting to believe that athletes were almost a different species metabolically . . . maybe even more tempting after I became quite active, but stayed overweight/obese. I thought I must have a "slow metabolism", especially since hypothyroid and post-menopausal besides. Calorie counting taught me that I (as an individual) *don't* have a slow metabolism, I was just eating more calories than my body required.

I'm not saying no one has a slow metabolism, in the sense of having lower calorie needs than the average person their size, even one of similar activity. I have no way of knowing, but it seems high probability that some people require fewer calories than the so-called calculators estimate.

I used to think I had a slow metabolism, too, and I am also hypothyroid. However, I too have discovered I now am probably pretty average, if not even more so due to my activity level. I admittedly used to be pretty inactive overall, even though I could say "but I workout!" I also used to overeat, and eat for reasons other than hunger frequently. It took me a long time to learn about actual hunger/fullness signals, which I think really came about because of tracking.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Strawman - "It may not be as simple as CICO?"
    Yes, human bodies and behaviours are very complicated but the process of weight loss can be simplified right down to calorie balance. If "it" is losing weight that's simple, if "it" is all the various physiological function going on then that's complex but complexity is optional to get results.

Clickbait - "Why Crash Weight Loss Programs Don't Work: Clues From Hunter-Gatherer Societies"
    Didn't know crash dieting was compulsory? Studying an unusual anomaly group and then projecting to the mainstream is fraught with problems. And of course exclude other anomaly groups (like very high exercisers) because they don't fit the narrative. Seems like someone is trying to support a theory.

"Surprisingly Narrow Range" - vague, surprising to who, what is the range?

"Metabolism" - seems to be used in a very loose way. Someone’s basal or resting metabolism is just one part of total needs

"the human metabolism adapts to our activity levels to keep our daily calorie burn in a surprisingly narrow range" - Nonsense. Even if you exclude high volume exercisers (who aren't just the elite few) that's saying people working very active jobs such as construction are in the same unquantified narrow range as sedentary people. When a new study contradicts a huge volume of existing studies that put a range of BMR multipliers from 1.1 to 1.9 sorry but I’m going to be sceptical.

Personal example - my estimated BMR is 1562.
    X 1.1 gives a TDEE of 1718
    X 1.9 gives a TDEE of 2968
    That isn't my idea of a narrow range and I'm actually mostly eating in the range of 3,000 - 4,000 cals with outlier days from 2,500 - 5,000cals.

I like your case study, and your math, @sijomial. A question or two for you below . . . .

The interviewee in the article says:
    If you or I started an exercise program tomorrow, we will burn extra calories from that exercise for a while. But after a couple of months, our bodies will adjust so that we're spending about the same energy every day as we were before we started the exercise.

From other posts, I think you've been doing your current level of exercise, or at least some decent volume of the same type of exercise, for more than a couple of months. I believe you've also said elsewhere that you've been maintaining a healthy body weight for a while now.

Does your personal experience bear out what the interviewee said in the quote above?

I don't have as dramatic an example as you do, but it's similar. My estimated BMR would be around 1200, so the estimated TDEE range based on that would be 1320 (multiplier 1.1) to 2,228 (multiplier 1.9) . . . not, as you say, an especially narrow range, coming from the widely-accepted research-based estimating formulas. In practice, my base calorie goal is 1,850 (with no exercise), usually 2,200-2,500 intake most days with exercise, and I throw in some indulge-y days (maybe 2-4 a month?) of 4,000-5,000 calories.

I've been doing the same general exercise for almost 20 years (fat and thin), with some seasonal ups and downs, and have been calorie counting for 6 years as of next week. Over that time, there hasn't been the slightest sign that my body has adjusted so that it is "spending about the same energy every day as before the exercise". My weight has been in the healthy BMI range (lower 20s BMI) for 5+ years, eating at relatively high calorie levels for my demographic (female, 5'5", now age 65, 125ish pounds).

As an aside, the interviewee is also quoted as saying:
    . . . once you are able to lose weight and get to a set point where you want to be, exercise is really key in keeping yourself there. Exercise changes the way that your body regulates how hungry you feel or how full you feel.

I absolutely guarantee that in my n=1 case, I'm not staying at a healthy weight because my body has regulated how full I feel so that I eat fewer calories - just as few as calories as someone who's less active. That's completely ridiculous, at n = 1.