How to feed veggies to a picky man?!

Options
124»

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,036 Member
    Options
    Speaking of drinking veggies, why not look into V8?
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Veggie lover here.. 👋

I find omelettes and meatloaf great for add ins.
    (Scallions, garlic, mushrooms, greens, peppers)

How about quiche? Basically a tasty egg pie with lots of plant options if you like .. lots of recipes.

Stir-fries with various sauces can be a nice way to try different veggie varieties. Stays nice and crispy if you don’t cook too long and can add in meats or fish of choice to compliment.

Like pasta? How about pasta primavera.. add in some cheese, evoo and some sautéed veggies. Also can do a spinach based green pasta… add in a few spiralized veggies to bulk it up to taste.

Pasta sauce — add in some extra - fresh basil, mushrooms and whole sautéed cherry tomatoes. Dice spinach and add in as well.
    Eggplant parm?

Tacos .. dice any veggie on top for added oomph.

Sorbet for dessert.. fruit or veggie based.

Ps —
    Do you have a blender or vitamix? What about vegetable/chicken soup? Tomato based? Also if you make juice in morning.. toss in an additional vegetable to experiment. I get added vitamins that way. :)

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Honestly, if he hates veggies, then just don't eat them. You can be plenty healthy without veggies. In general, i eat veggies a few times a week and its mainly peppers, onions, spinach and avocado (mainly in the form of guacamole). If anything, just add fruits, seeds, nuts and whole grains.

Eta: you can add things like chia seeds or flaxseed into smoothies/protein shakes. Adding more fish/seafood and reducing process foods would be a good first step. If he exercises, that is also great.

Unfortunately I don't think you read the post correctly or I did not express myself properly. It states in the post the vegetables he will eat "He will eat salad, spinach, celery, green beans and snap peas, cucumbers and baby carrot"
    and how he likes them raw
    , I am just expressing the desire for more variety in ways to prepare that he may like, because he is so picky, it is difficult, but variety is the spice of life after all. And there are nutrients in other vegetables that he could benefit from if only there was a way he would eat them. Blending them seems to be the method I think he would agree with the most, as if he doesn't know it's there/can't taste it -- he cannot object to it haha! So nowhere does it state he hates vegetables. He's just picky when it comes to texture, preparation, names lol

Maybe one day he will exercise more, hes got himself a belly now-a-days ;)

Honestly, I don't see the problem here if that's what he likes and in addition to fruit. Variety is the spice of life for some people for some things. There's plenty of nutrition in those things, along with fruit. This seems more like you want him to be a lover of a variety of veggies and preparations more than it does him.

I personally eat quite a bit of vegetables volume wise, but I don't eat a tremendously huge variety like my wife. It's fine. My best friend will only eat raw veggies...it's a texture thing with him which I'm sure it probably is for your husband. When a texture doesn't sit well, there's nothing you can really do about it. I hate raw mushrooms for that reason...it feels like rubber in my mouth and I won't touch them. It is to my mouth what finger nails on a chalkboard are to my ears. Even looking at them gives me a bit of a ghost sensation in my mouth.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Honestly, if he hates veggies, then just don't eat them. You can be plenty healthy without veggies. In general, i eat veggies a few times a week and its mainly peppers, onions, spinach and avocado (mainly in the form of guacamole). If anything, just add fruits, seeds, nuts and whole grains.

Eta: you can add things like chia seeds or flaxseed into smoothies/protein shakes. Adding more fish/seafood and reducing process foods would be a good first step. If he exercises, that is also great.

Unfortunately I don't think you read the post correctly or I did not express myself properly. It states in the post the vegetables he will eat "He will eat salad, spinach, celery, green beans and snap peas, cucumbers and baby carrot"
    , I am just expressing the desire for more variety in ways to prepare that he may like, because he is so picky, it is difficult, but variety is the spice of life after all. And there are nutrients in other vegetables that he could benefit from if only there was a way he would eat them. Blending them seems to be the method I think he would agree with the most, as if he doesn't know it's there/can't taste it -- he cannot object to it haha! So nowhere does it state he hates vegetables. He's just picky when it comes to texture, preparation, names lol

Honestly, I don't see the problem here if that's what he likes and in addition to fruit. Variety is the spice of life for some people for some things. There's plenty of nutrition in those things, along with fruit. This seems more like you want him to be a lover of a variety of veggies and preparations more than it does him.

I personally eat quite a bit of vegetables volume wise, but I don't eat a tremendously huge variety like my wife. It's fine. My best friend will only eat raw veggies...it's a texture thing with him which I'm sure it probably is for your husband. When a texture doesn't sit well, there's nothing you can really do about it. I hate raw mushrooms for that reason...it feels like rubber in my mouth and I won't touch them. It is to my mouth what finger nails on a chalkboard are to my ears. Even looking at them gives me a bit of a ghost sensation in my mouth.

Agreed. If he doesn't have any vitamin deficiencies just let him be.

Also, I can't imagine the vitriol that would rain down if a guy came in here and posted something like this about his wife especially the last bit I bolded.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Agreed. If he doesn't have any vitamin deficiencies just let him be.

Also, I can't imagine the vitriol that would rain down if a guy came in here and posted something like this about his wife especially the last bit I bolded.

That is exactly what i was thinking. And given the notion that one must eat more veggies to get their nutrition is a bit absurb. I don't eat a ton of veggies, neither does my wife or kids. We eat fruit, lean meats and dairy. All in really good health.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add, when it comes to dishes like spaghetti sauce and chili, you can add in other vegetables if you want to, but you don't have to think of it as sneaking. Finely chopped or cooked and mashed aromatic vegetables like carrots, onions, celery, garlic, peppers, fresh herbs, etc. are commonly used to flavor and thicken dishes in different cuisines - look for recipes that include a sofrito, pestata, or mirepoix. (Some are also made of other things besides vegetables.)

But even if you don't use a pestata, etc., spaghetti sauce (the tomato-based kind) is almost entirely vegetables anyway. And, depending on the recipe, chili may also be very vegetable-rich. Look for chili with plenty of tomatoes, onions, peppers - or just increase the amounts of these ingredients in whatever recipe you use. (Beans are great too, but fairly calorie-dense and of course not everyone does well with lots of beans.) You can even jazz up canned chili with vegetables pretty easily, just by sauteeing or even microwaving them and stirring them in.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    How to serve veggies 2 a picky male eater?

Fry the veggies (tempura style), sprinkle salt all over them and serve w/ his fave beer while he's watching his fave sports program on TV.

LOL! ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    @Karliemyalgia

bone broth = bones + water + vegetables, if desired + heat + time

"vegetables" can really be whatever, carrot/onion/celery is the classic aromatics combo. quarter your onion, roughly chop your carrot (or use a handful of baby carrots if that's what you have), roughly chop your celery, use the leafy bits too.

put your aromatics plus your bones in a big ol' pot, fill with enough water to cover, bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer, let it go as long as you like. (edit to add: I'd do a few hours, minimum.) use a spoon to skim the foam off the top of the water periodically (the scum comes from the bones, it's not dangerous, just ugly). you can do this in a slow cooker or instant pot, too, if you have them; if you use the pressure cooker, you can put it on high pressure for like, idk, half an hour? and that'll be plenty of time.

the biggest thing is to remember, when your beautiful broth is done simmering, to strain out the bones and spent veg (toss this stuff, it's way way way overcooked and not good to eat anymore, it's given all of itself into the liquid) by pouring it INTO A BOWL and not DOWN THE SINK DRAIN, a tragic fate that has befallen many a home cook.

Thank you for your detailed and easy to follow method, I think you've convinced me to give it a try. What do you use to strain it? A spaghetti strainer with the semi-bigger holes or something meshy?

We literally make roast chicken every week and the bones get tossed. Although I don't know WHAT to do with the bone broth once its made lol I've never made homemade soups or stews or whatever else you could do with it. I just hear it makes things pretty tasty!! And thanks for the warning about the drain, don't wanna mess that up lol!

I save 1oz - 2 cup plastic food containers and when my stock is cooled, freeze it in these containers. Then, whenever a recipe calls for stock I have a close enough size to use. Several of my Asian food recipes that did not come straight from Asia call for a small amount of stock. presumably to cut down on the sodium - my (non curry) Thai recipes have no liquid other than fish sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice vinegar, etc.

When I cook Swiss chard I like to sauté it a bit first and then wilt it in an ounce of stock.

My family's Thanksgiving tradition includes making stock from the carcass and then turkey and veggie soup.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    @Karliemyalgia

bone broth = bones + water + vegetables, if desired + heat + time

"vegetables" can really be whatever, carrot/onion/celery is the classic aromatics combo. quarter your onion, roughly chop your carrot (or use a handful of baby carrots if that's what you have), roughly chop your celery, use the leafy bits too.

put your aromatics plus your bones in a big ol' pot, fill with enough water to cover, bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer, let it go as long as you like. (edit to add: I'd do a few hours, minimum.) use a spoon to skim the foam off the top of the water periodically (the scum comes from the bones, it's not dangerous, just ugly). you can do this in a slow cooker or instant pot, too, if you have them; if you use the pressure cooker, you can put it on high pressure for like, idk, half an hour? and that'll be plenty of time.

the biggest thing is to remember, when your beautiful broth is done simmering, to strain out the bones and spent veg (toss this stuff, it's way way way overcooked and not good to eat anymore, it's given all of itself into the liquid) by pouring it INTO A BOWL and not DOWN THE SINK DRAIN, a tragic fate that has befallen many a home cook.

Yes, I make stock in a slow cooker. My bones are frozen so I first put them in the crock pot, zap them in the microwave for @ 3 minutes, then add the water and cook on high until it comes to simmer, then reduce to low for 8 hours or so for chicken, longer for beef bones.

I generally add vegetables with the later recipe, not at this point, but this would indeed make the stock even yummier. With my very long cook time, I'd give the bones a few hours head start before adding the veggies.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    https://moosewoodcooks.com/2012/01/everyday-split-pea-soup/

Pea soup may not work for your husband as he does not like mushy, but it may work for someone else. I make the original 1977 Moosewood Best Ever Split Pea Soup once or twice a winter. I stop at II and do not include the ingredients in III or "add before serving."

This 2012 version also skips the ingredients in III and "add before serving," but adds mushrooms and miso, in addition to the split peas, onions, carrots, potatoes, garlic, and celery that are common to both of them. I like mushroom FLAVOR but not TEXTURE, so I will cook with them, and pick them out. In this case I could puree them. But I've been making this for so long that I'm not sure I want to try the mushrooms and miso, despite liking them in other things - this is a classic I'm reluctant to mess with.

I grate the veggies in my food processor rather than dicing them - it's faster and they blend better.

I see the 2012 version decreased the peas to 2 C from 3 C, and increased the water to 8 C from 5 C. I've been using 2 C peas and 6 C water, or 3 C water and 3 C stock.

WARNING! This has lots of fiber so someone who does not already eat a lot of fiber should have small portions or they will regret it ;) It makes quite a bit but should freeze quite nicely.

Omnivores, feel free to add a ham hock or shank with the peas. I don't make ham often, but if I have leftover ham and a bone I always make this.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    @Karliemyalgia have you found anything that has helped? I am curious, but haven't been following this thread recently.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Take the vegetable like zucchini and shred it to fine pieces. Put them in muffins. You can also use leftover veggie pulp from juicers and do the same or sneak them into meatloaf or something sweet.

You can also finely shred things like cabbage, zucchini, green onion, potatoes, wring the heck out of them to get water out, add an egg, salt/pepper/chicken powder, maybe some starch, fry in pan with some oil and make crispy veggie pancakes out of them.

Caramelized veggies with butter are amazing. Pan fry over medium low heat things like cabbage, continuously add a little butter till edges are caramelized. Add soy sauce and butter to any veggies will make it taste better too.

Eta: I agree with other posters too. You've done your best to feed him healthy things but he's a grown adult. He will find sooner or later that if he don't take care of his health better and alter his diet, he will have to suffer the possible health complications later.
  • iancity
    iancity Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Theres picky and then there's picky! Your husband eats carrots, celery, spinach..thats not picky at all, thats great ! I, on the other hand ARE picky...I hate any veg, completely get where your husband is coming from re texture, carrots yuck, spinach yuck, celery, urghh..i'm about Ok with cucumber and iceburg lettuce but trying to eat other things, nope (and I'm 53 ffs) !
    So rather than complain (not having a go) celebrate that he does like more stuff than some and just build meals around what he does like...
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    There is nothing more annoying than a Picky eater!
    Surely everyone over 16 should experiment with different foods.
    I couldn't live with someone like that!
    I say let them make their own food 🙄