Salt - I needed more

Options
I haven’t been logging lately but have been maintaining in a 10 pound range for almost two years.
Lately, I’ve been snacking way too much in the evening and I’m approaching the high end of the range. Why?
Spoke to one of the coaches in my gym. He pointed out that because I tend to sweat heavily, and it has been hot and humid here, it’s likely that I’m craving salt and using any and every food in the house to get it!
I typically try to eat mostly whole home cooked foods (meats, veggies, rice etc) and rarely add salt. Most of my family had blood pressure issues growing up (not me now near goal weight) and I tend to cook without much salt like mom did.
Anyway, I started to add just a little salt to my morning eggs and to some of my other foods and I find it much easier to keep in my calorie goals. Just wanted to share and see if anyone else has experienced this.

Replies

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    YEP.

Not exactly the same reasons or end result but I absolutely need more salt. My blood pressure runs low - even obese and it's a known thing that's been documented through my life. My husband has high blood pressure and needs lower sodium. When I stopped eating quite so many snacks (like bags of chips and fast food), I got miserable FAST.

...I salt everything I eat now and my BP stays at a perfectly reasonable, but still lowish level and feel fine.

But with a low sodium diet (ie: what my husband needs but I do not) and I'm trying to faint all over the place like a some kind of bad romance novel heroine.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    YEP.

Not exactly the same reasons or end result but I absolutely need more salt. My blood pressure runs low - even obese and it's a known thing that's been documented through my life. My husband has high blood pressure and needs lower sodium. When I stopped eating quite so many snacks (like bags of chips and fast food), I got miserable FAST.

...I salt everything I eat now and my BP stays at a perfectly reasonable, but still lowish level and feel fine.

But with a low sodium diet (ie: what my husband needs but I do not) and I'm trying to faint all over the place like a some kind of bad romance novel heroine.

Sounds like a Jack Sprat nursery rhyme situation but with salt! I'm glad you were able to figure that out.
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    With the popularity of gourmet salts I suspect there can also be some iodine deficiency for those who don't eat the processed foods that seem to be the basis of health warnings. With more exercise this spring I think both were running down, and I'm adding iodized table salt - the MFP nutrition table shows a target sodium intake that's probably close enough to motivate the shaker, and the add-food list has "salt" entries to record the extra.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Pickles and pickle juice are also quick and easy options. I frequently did shots of pickle juice when I was doing a lot of endurance cycling, particularly in the summer months.
  • futuresylph
    futuresylph Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I frequently did shots of pickle juice when I was doing a lot of endurance cycling, particularly in the summer months.

It also makes interesting popsicles. Not something I'd care to have every day, but interesting (and surprisingly refreshing).
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I had this exact discussion with my husband this morning. It’s been unusually hot here in the U.K. for the last week or so and he was complaining that he was feeling drained and lethargic this morning. I suggested he eat something salty for breakfast then had to explain why, because he had no clue that sweating and drinking more fluids could leave him low on salts.

He takes medication for high blood pressure so makes a vague attempt to limit salt. I don’t have any reason to limit salt but I was aware I’ve been fancying especially salty foods (olives, feta, wilted spinach, marmite etc), so if I was low on salt he surely must be too!

There’s a lot to be said for understanding enough about nutrition to be able to make an intelligent assessment of what nutrient you might be lacking when cravings hit. I tend to think that our bodies try very hard to tell us what we need, if only we’d listen!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    YEP.

Yes, when I was a kid at home in the 70s we ate salt-phobic amounts of salt, I had low blood pressure, and passed out on getting up on several occasions.

After leaving home I increased my salt and now my blood pressure is normal and I haven't passed out (except for the one time I tried to take a Hot Yoga class and another time after being stung my a bunch of angry yellow jackets.)

I love salt! I have many colors and textures. I have coarse pink Himalayan salt in a grinder because it is aesthetically pleasing. I bought Malden salt flakes after hearing about them on a food podcast but was not overly impressed. My favorite salt for eating straight (which I try not to do anymore) is Selina Light Grey Celtic coarse sea salt. Other than raising my BP to normal, I ascribe no special properties to any of these salts.

w4uc8lp794jv.png
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Maldon flakes are my favorite.

But, remember that there is an enormous industry built on the low sodium myth that emanated from poor research. It won't be reversed soon, if ever, because there is too much egg on the face and too much money behind the low sodium products and nothing much to reward a return to higher salt production. Look to see only incremental changes in the recommended dietary levels.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    If you can stand it...you could simply add more salt to what you cook at home (obviously don't make it too salty to eat lol). Include more pickled/preserved foods that include a high sodium content (many fermented foods and sauces as well).

You could buy electrolyte drink mixes (usually sold at sporting stores or online for long distance runners/bikers/hikers). You can find homemade electrolyte drink recipes too I'm sure.

I'll echo the lack of iodine though. I have been purchasing sea salt and it does not contain iodine....imagine there was an actual reason they ADDED iodine to the table salt we use. I had actually read and article regarding covid-19 and that since people weren't going out to eat as much (which is where you would encounter regular iodized salt) some were experiencing some of that brain fog/lack of energy...etc. that can be associated with a lack of iodine. So you might consider asking your doctor about an iodine supplement or eating more things with iodine in them. Or buying iodized salt...I've found some iodized sea salt here and there. But most fancy salts are not iodized.

I'd also maybe be sure it's an actual sodium issue...there are a handful of other electrolytes/salts that your body needs to stay properly hydrated and function. Many 'electrolyte' drinks actually don't have ideal levels of all of them...they may just have potassium or just sodium, etc.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I frequently did shots of pickle juice when I was doing a lot of endurance cycling, particularly in the summer months.

It also makes interesting popsicles. Not something I'd care to have every day, but interesting (and surprisingly refreshing).

I'm going to have to try this, now that it's pickling season in my neck of the woods! I actually think my oldest son would get a kick out of it (he likes to drink pickle juice). I don't know if I could just do the juice, but frozen I suspect I could really enjoy it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I2k4 wrote: »
    With the popularity of gourmet salts I suspect there can also be some iodine deficiency for those who don't eat the processed foods that seem to be the basis of health warnings. With more exercise this spring I think both were running down, and I'm adding iodized table salt - the MFP nutrition table shows a target sodium intake that's probably close enough to motivate the shaker, and the add-food list has "salt" entries to record the extra.

Yes, I supplement with iodine as my salt does not contain it and I eat very little ultra processed foods which would have iodized salt.