Increase VO2MAX?

Options
13»

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    "But of course getting an improving trend is a perfectly valid goal and the big advantage of watches is the easy repeatability."

Exactly. I am extremely pleased with the results of my diet and exercise programs. I WON the game!

For 30 years I ate SAD and tried to exercise my way out of it. Nuts. I was overweight (highest BMI = 29.5) diagnosed with T2D in 2005 (highest A1c = 6.7) stressed out and miserable. Taking 7 different meds at one time for this.

5 years ago I did a 180. Started eating a LCHF / keto diet (aka healthy Atkins diet) and did / do minimal volumn low intensity exercise.

Today I'm at my ideal weight (BMI = 23.5) My diabetes is reversed (A1c = 5.1). And I was able to stop those 7 meds.

This is why I'm extremely reluctant to change my basic approach to diet and exercise. But I'm willing to SLOWLY increase exercise volumn and intensity.

My 3 rules for exercise.
    1. Don't get hurt
    2. Don't get hurt
    3. Don't get hurt

Couldn't agree more with your rules. Those 3 exercise rules are exactly the same as mine. I learned this the hard way....twice.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    "Couldn't agree more with your rules. Those 3 exercise rules are exactly the same as mine. I learned this the hard way....twice."

I WISH I could say TWICE. Nope. Overtraining and injury are the main reasons I started using a Polar watch in 2012. I need a BRAKE. My natural tendency is to OVERTRAIN.

With no BRAKE I start to exercise. Increasing the intensity. Then I start feeling the endorphin high (really it's an endocannabaniod high but who cares?). It makes me want to go harder and faster. Or do that last rep that injures my back or shoulder. Or force a yoga stretch that messes up my knee or lower back?

Understand that mindset and it is common among my friends. That is why I use a coach and we track my fitness and fatigue. He said to me recently: "My main job with endurance athletes is to protect them from themselves".