What's the point in exercising?

Options
13»

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You're in a weightloss mindset, not a fitness mindset. It's ok. Don't exercise. Stay weak and out of shape.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    There's no point. We've all been bamboozled. DON'T FALL FOR IT!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    intrinsic reward.

also to become aesthetically pleasing.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the responses. I have ever only thought of exercise as a way to loose weight. And until I started having my kids I never needed to bother with that. A very different story now. :-) So, what I get is exercise can help you TONE the muscle which makes you look better and clothes fit better. It can also help with just feeling better about oneself. And I guess an added benefit for bicycling (my exercise of choice (running is NO fun for me)) is time away from the kids and house. SCORE! LOL Seriously, thank you for help and suggestions. Some very kind words from many of you. :-) I hope I can keep this going. This is my 6th week on MFP and the 5th week of riding for exercise.
    Not to mention, you will benefit as you age from having more muscle mass....and help to avoid this:

osteoporosis.jpg

edited to add...find something you ENJOY doing, and it won't seem so pointless...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    1) The people who are getting their calorie GOALs from MFP and not meeting those GOALs due to not eating back exercise calories are doing it wrong. They do not know or undertand how this tool works. They probably try to drive screws with a hammer too. You should make some allowance for estimation error which is inherent even if you're using a HRM to estimate burn...but you should be eating most of those calories back. Another issue people tend to have is underestimating consumption. They think they're eating XXXX calories but they're really eating YYYY calories. This is usually do to negligence and not weighing and measuring properly...just eyeballing portions, etc.

2) The benefits of exercise are many. Weight loss is actually pretty low on the list really...exercise is a very in-efficient way of incorporating a calorie deficit for weight loss. In regards to weight control, it's actually much more important in maintenance than it is for losing. But...you get stronger, you preserve muscle (which makes you look asthetically better when the fat comes off), you increase bone density, heart health, helps eliminate insulin sensitivities, you just feel better in general, you have more energy, and the list goes on and on.

Use your diet (noun) for weight control; exercise for fitness.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    enhanced-buzz-1004-1377497231-6.jpg

↑ Dieting..............................................................................↑Exercise

Ugh. That cannot be unseen. Reported for being grody :laugh:

Seriously that does sum it up quite nicely.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Losing weight helps you look good with clothes on, exercising makes you damn hot when naked!!
  • tofinochris
    Options
    When you go to post a new thread, after you click the post button it should auto-search and say "there are all these threads that match the one you're posting -- are you sure you wanna post this?"

Glad the OP posted though because I got to see all the links.
  • hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit through food equals weight loss. "Losing weight means you'll look good in clothes. Exercising means you'll look good naked."
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You build muscle when you exercise (strength train). Muscle burns calories on its own to sustain itself, and changes your whole physique. It needs more calories to thrive. Just look at fitness models, or anyone who is in shape with visible muscle definition. They aren't trying to eat super low to look like that. :)