Outdoor solo swiming - what to do with your stuff?

Options
13»

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I guess I learned what to do for next year, it snowed on Slate Peak yesterday. It's been getting into the 70s on warm days. I don't have a wet suit and I'm doing this for enjoyment.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Wait. What? Slate Peak isn't anywhere near your swim spot at sea level...

And a wetsuit is a super good investment. Snorkeling is so fun in Puget Sound.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    I leave everything locked up and out of sight in the car. Bringing bag with a towel and the car key without a fob. If uncomfortable leaving key with my stuff on shore, i can bring it to swim with me, zipped or in Velcro pocket of my shorts. I see no reason to bring phone, money, wallet to the beach.

Note sure how most car keys after the early/mid 2000's or so (with a battery) would like being in water for x amount of time.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I use a dry bag belt around my hips and tucked into my bottoms so it doesn't flap and annoy me. Works for me when traveling/backpacking alone
    https://www.amazon.com/blue-sky-BASICS-Waterproof-Pouch/dp/B00X9XVHPW/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=dry+bag+belt&qid=1630613460&sr=8-4

I like the idea of the buoys if there could possibly be any motorized traffic though.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Wait. What? Slate Peak isn't anywhere near your swim spot at sea level...

And a wetsuit is a super good investment. Snorkeling is so fun in Puget Sound.

The first part maybe only makes sense to eccentric people like me 🙃; swimming in the lake is one of the best things about summer here, but it feels like fall now. Except yesterday and today! 🙂

I have a friend who does triathlon and loves her wetsuit. She brings it and swims in mountain lakes, I'm a little jealous for some of those experiences. Says the north side of Chelan (around Stehekin) has wonderful swimming if you can deal with the cold.