Recipes by remaining stats

Options
Hi, does MFP have a recipe database, and if so, is it possible to look up recipes by macros so that you can choose recipes that fit within your budget/goals for the day?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I don't know of anything like that in MFP, nor on the web. I know there are site(s) on the web where you can put in ingredients you have on hand or want to use, and get recipes for those, but I don't have links - maybe someone else would. (I don't cook like that, I just make stuff up.)

One thing to be aware of: You don't need to be exactly exact on macros. It's good to get close to protein and fat goals as a minimum (because they're "essential macronutrients" in the technical sense that we need to eat a certain minimum, because our bodies can't manufacture them from other macronutrients). But close is fine - a little over one day, a little under the next, it averages out over short time periods.

Calories are what directly determine body weight changes. Macros are for health, body composition, satiation, etc., so can *indirectly* affect weight loss via fatigue (by reducing movement) or appetite (by making it hard to stick to calorie goal).

In your immediate circumstances, something like this may help you identify foods that you could include in your eating to better round out a day:

Help-What-Do-I-Eat.jpg

This is from: https://fyfnutrition.com/2017/07/17/help-what-do-i-eat/

With apologies, that's all I've got that might help!

Best wishes!

P.S. I'm not affiliated with that web site in any way, nor compensated for linking it. I just found the info useful, so am sharing it.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    *Insulin dependent diabetics definitely need to be pretty close on their carbs.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    *Insulin dependent diabetics definitely need to be pretty close on their carbs.

True. I should've mentioned health conditions. I was focused (over-focused) on OP talking about looking up recipes to fit macros, so thinking in terms of risks of being under goals, should've been more thoughtful about potentials for going over them. Certain kidney problems mean not going too high on protein, for example, too.
  • crystala2
    crystala2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I don't know of anything like that in MFP, nor on the web. I know there are site(s) on the web where you can put in ingredients you have on hand or want to use, and get recipes for those, but I don't have links - maybe someone else would. (I don't cook like that, I just make stuff up.)

One thing to be aware of: You don't need to be exactly exact on macros. It's good to get close to protein and fat goals as a minimum (because they're "essential macronutrients" in the technical sense that we need to eat a certain minimum, because our bodies can't manufacture them from other macronutrients). But close is fine - a little over one day, a little under the next, it averages out over short time periods.

Calories are what directly determine body weight changes. Macros are for health, body composition, satiation, etc., so can *indirectly* affect weight loss via fatigue (by reducing movement) or appetite (by making it hard to stick to calorie goal).

In your immediate circumstances, something like this may help you identify foods that you could include in your eating to better round out a day:

Help-What-Do-I-Eat.jpg

This is from: https://fyfnutrition.com/2017/07/17/help-what-do-i-eat/

With apologies, that's all I've got that might help!

Best wishes!

P.S. I'm not affiliated with that web site in any way, nor compensated for linking it. I just found the info useful, so am sharing it.

Thank you, this is helpful :) I don't know of any sites either, but I've done weight watchers and noom, and they have a database of recipes that they will help you fit in your remaining budget. I always found it super helpful when I didn't know what to eat, but I'm tired of paying for programs that haven't been working for me. Just wondered if this was a thing on here or not. Thank you for the information, I'm going to print this out and put it up on my fridge :)
  • H1L5
    H1L5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I find this site useful. As an example the link is to some low calorie recipes. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/recipes?q=low+calorie
    Its free to use. I import the ones I like into the recipe section on MFP. There are thousands of recipes on there and they cater for all dietary needs.