Budget Meals Ideas - Tasty but CHEAP

Options
Thanks to some serious underemployment (thank you covid), I've had to cut and trim and suck back my budget. Long gone are the days of grocery delivery and getting the healthy pre-made heat-n-eat meals for my lunches. Combine that with a long commute, working two jobs, and basically just trying to keep up with things on the weekends, hoping for some great ideas from the MFP community for some ideas!

I've eaten on a budget before - I know a lot of foods that are cheap and can stretch a long ways - Yes, rice n beans when push comes to shove.

All about finding the deals on meat, portioning and freezing, etc. All the obvious "budget" stuff - well, been there, done that (it's been a long time since my budget has been this tight, but I've done it in the past).

Looking for CREATIVE, CHEAP, and EASY meal ideas - higher protein preferred. Looking to keep each meal at around $2/each on average (worst case), 600-800 kcal a meal on average. I generally skip breakfast - or can raid the snack room at work for that.

All about cooking two meals worth at a time, and freeze the second meal for a grab-n-go lunch.

I don't have a day available to "prep." I get about 1 hour/day for dinner, from when I walk in the door until I need to be done eating and cleaned up.

Let's see what you all have for ideas that I maybe hadn't considered!

Also open to recipe bases/books that might include some "fresh" ideas I could use for inspiration!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Here's an idea you many not have considered - are you in the US and eligible for PUA (Pandemic Unemployment Assistance)? I was an independent contractor and am just familiar with that part of it - an IC who had their hours reduced due to COVID but is still partially employed is eligible for PUA. The program ends in a few weeks but benefits are retroactive.

If you're a regular employee and had your hours reduced due to COVID, check with your state.

This might be useful:

https://www.benefits.gov/benefit-finder
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Boiled egg curry is a great one. There are many variations on the theme. Also chana dal... and dal in general can be very cheap, wholesome and delicious, can be made in big batches and it's barely any effort to make.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I used to be the cook at a small yoga center in very rural Costa Rico. My staples were rice, black beans, and lentils. I created variety with different spices and vegetables. Discount stores like Dollar Stores and Job Lots/Big Lots should have great prices on spices.

Sounds like you already know how to source meat (and presumably veggies) and that bone-in chicken should be the cheapest source of animal protein.

I've seen this site recommended a lot:

https://www.budgetbytes.com/

Budget Bytes is amazing. I have a pretty solid regular rotation of meals now so I don't check back there as often as I used to, but probably half of our regular family dinners originated from that website. I can often do better than her price breakdown because she based her pricing on typical grocery stores and I shop for many pantry staples at Aldi or buy them in bulk, but many of the strategies she employs are going to be cost effective regardless of where you shop.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Also, rice and beans doesn't just have to be when push comes to shove. In the last 7 years, I don't think I've visited my mother and brother when they didn't have rice and beans (separately) in the frig or on the stove. She buys both in bulk, and the beans are dried.

We're Irish. Growing up it was big chunks of meat with potatoes.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Not sure whether it fits the criteria but egg whites purchased in the carton can make for some tasty mini-quiches (you'd use a cupcake tin). Cheese optional if you're not into quiche...or cheese lol

Very versatile, freezer-friendly and could help you meet your protein requirements.

All the best to you in your health and career 🙌🏿
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Some of my fave fast cook/high protein skillet meals are:
    bagged pre-portioned frozen fish for under $2 USD per portion and chicken thighs (sale usually $1 lb) served with veg. Frozen veggies frequently go on sale for $1 lb. and potatoes and beans are usually fairly affordable.

Rotisserie chicken (usually yields ~ 6 meals) for about $5 per chicken
    Day 1: Legs and wings
    Day 2: Thigh (s)
    Day 3 (or freeze) white meat into small pieces for buffalo chicken salad, tacos, stir-fry
    If you can find an hour (like when you are making & eating dinner) the carcass can be boiled for chicken stock.

If you live in a part of the world with an Aldi, they have incredible deals on good quality food.

Make friends with your crock pot/slow cooker.

Some great recipe ideas can be found on YouTube by searching "Jacques Pépin: Fast Food My Way" and "Jamie Oliver Quick Meals."

edited to add: You don't need a 'prep day' to prep meals. Just take it in little nibbles. For example, grate 4-5 carrots at a time (takes 5 minutes) and throw them in a ventilated baggie in the fridge. Throw some almonds in a baggie and pound them until they are fine and ready for your next crispy fish almondine.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,379 Member
    Options
    If (and I do realize this is a big if) you have a chest freezer, and you’re near an urban area, try shopping at a restaurant supply store for your meats.

Portion hamburger into one pound units and freeze them.

Bacon is also usually a screamin’ deal at such a place. Maybe organize a buying club with friends?
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,379 Member
    Options
    Also? TVP is generally cheap. Makes a good meal stretcher. Especially in stews and chili.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Here's an idea you many not have considered - are you in the US and eligible for PUA (Pandemic Unemployment Assistance)? I was an independent contractor and am just familiar with that part of it - an IC who had their hours reduced due to COVID but is still partially employed is eligible for PUA. The program ends in a few weeks but benefits are retroactive.

If you're a regular employee and had your hours reduced due to COVID, check with your state.

This might be useful:

https://www.benefits.gov/benefit-finder

thanks, my hours weren't cut, I was laid off/let go, and found "a" job (at a 50%+ paycut) about a month later. I'm in Georgia, and the state is so far behind on processing claims from people who have time to sit on the phone for 8+ hours a day (like, almost a full year backed up), I don't have hope or time to bother with my 4 weeks of "un"employment - and since I'm "employed" at more than minimum wage, I don't qualify for any other programs either that I'm aware of - so working 2 jobs until the applicant field in my work starts to lighten up, or until I sell off/adjust my life enough to afford to live on my current income and/or get promoted where I'm at (well positioned for a step up in 6-12 months, but in the meantime, the bills keep rolling in....).

Thanks for the ideas so far - keep them rolling in! Will definitely be checking some of them out and looking into a few of them. There is a Lidl on my way to/from work right now (and a Trader Joes) so will be checking that out when I start to eat through what I have at home right now, and got on their mailing list.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Glad to hear you have an Aldi nearby. They are affiliated with Trader Joes' and between the two, you should manage quite the savings. If you haven't before, start paying attention to those weekly grocery circulars and/or check the weekly offerings online. My pantry and freezers are full and I am maniacally frugal (even making my own yogurt and laundry soap!) but I'll still watch the weekly ads and pounce on a great grocery deal now and then. Most months, my ENTIRE grocery expenditure consists only of eggs (when they are $1-1.30 a dozen), 2 gallons of milk and 2 quarts of half and half.

eta: Aldi has good deals on pre-portioned frozen fish, but stay away from the tilapia. The farming conditions under which it is produced may not be optimum. Search 'Healthy Eating at Aldi' on YouTube for some good advice about the store's hit and misses.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I like to do chicken breast or thighs, can of beans, and a can salsa in crock pot on low for 6-8 hrs. You can eat it like that, put in a tortilla, or over rice
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Have a look through Jack Monroe’s website:

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/

She’s a food writer and poverty activist in the UK and whilst I don’t need to be super careful with a budget I’m still a big fan of her sensible and imaginative approach to quick and frugal cooking. I think she’s vegan these days but there are plenty of her other recipes floating about too.

Might be worth a look.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,625 Member
    Options
    I second @BarbaraHelen2013's suggestion of Jack Monroe's website. Before she became a cookbook writer and food columnist she was a single mom on benefits (welfare in the UK).

Some of my favourite budget easy recipes.
    Chinese tomato egg stir fry. You can used tinned tomatoes.
    https://redhousespice.com/tomato-egg-stir-fry/
    Cullen skink. Use kippers (smoked herring) instead of the more expensive smoked halibut the recipe calls for.
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/jan/05/how-to-cook-perfect-cullen-skink
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 180 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Maybe obvious, but make friends with your freezer and buy/freeze meat and frozen veg on sale in bulk. Family size packs of chicken thigh, pork chop, or beef can be sandwich bagged into portions before freezing, saved for a couple of months.

Absent intolerance, 1 percent milk and non-fat yogurt in large containers. Very little real barnyard difference between regular eggs and pricier others with special claims. Skipjack tuna costs less with half the mercury (safely eat twice as often) as white - dress for sandwich or salad with low-fat mayo, celery, peppers, tomato. spices. For those with the taste, canned sardines (pilchard or herring), oysters, mussels, clams are often on sale, good straight or a topping for salad, eggs or rice dishes (sadly fresh fish has become pricey). The biggest rejected protein bargain is probably beef or poultry liver, generally laughably cheap and nutrient/protein dense (ketchup and onions).

I also buy whey protein powder on sale in bulk, used in morning porridge, yogurt, blendered with berries, fruit, nut butter, or shaken, often with cinnamon or curry powder and creatine supplement.

Generally, finding oneself surrounded by bright packaging and attractive displays is the clue to being in the wrong part of the store (or the wrong store.) Finally, these days it's worth checking Amazon or other online stores against supermarket sales flyers for any packaged and canned stuff - not hard to save a lot and qualify for free door delivery.
  • RobynMay75
    RobynMay75 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't know how well used it is in your area but I use an app called olio to pick up a lot of short dated food, I get a lot of fruit and veg off it but sometimes it is all bread. Depends what the supermarket hasn't sold or what people who live near you are giving away. Also good for clearing out things you don't want too.