Deadlifts...feel it in the lower back?

Options
skeo
skeo Posts: 471 Member
Hi Everyone,
Question, when doing deadlifts; where do you feel it most? I have checked my form, and my back is straight, and my knees don't go past my toes, and I go as far as I can, which right now is parallel to the floor; but when I am done, I feel it most in my lower back. Am I doing something wrong? From what I read, my people feel it in their glutes and hams.

Do you normally feel, not really pain, but the stress of it in your lower back? After walking it off for a bit, it goes away.

I appreciate any insight.

Crap...i don't know why I said deadlifts..I meant squats. I was thinking deadlifts for some reason. yes, this is when I do squats.

Replies

• CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    What form of deadlift are you doing? Your torso should really never go to parallel, even when doing RDLs.

Most likely you're...

A. not keeping your shoulders back
    B. not keeping the bar close enough to your thighs/shins
    C. both

And no, you should primarily feel it in your legs.
  • letmebangbro
    letmebangbro Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    What part do you think deadlifts is working?
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Should feel it in the whole posterior chain (back, glutes, hamstrings)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are doing deadlifts? It sounds more like you are trying to do a squat.
  • letmebangbro
    letmebangbro Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are doing deadlifts? It sounds more like you are trying to do a squat.

I usually feel lower back stress when I do bicep curls tho.
    Curls for the gurlllsssss
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My wife's 21 year old trainer had her doing deadlifts--and injured her lower back. It is a stupid/ridiculous exercise. Youre literally lifting EXACTLY how youre not supposed to per every safety course at any workplace. STOP immediately. *in theory* there is a way to do it that will cause minimal damage but in practice its downright stupid.
  • skeo
    Options
    Crpap...i don't know why I said deadlifts..I meant squats. I was thinking deadlifts for some reason. yes, this is when I do squats.
  • cstoney2013
    cstoney2013 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    lower the weight and have someone watch your technique, it doesn't have to be a competition to lift the most! That is from leaning foreward under too much weight.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Actually made more sense to me for deadlifts. I get some pretty wicked DOMS in my lower back sometimes from deads.

For squats, I think you should probably feel it in your quads more. Best thing to do would be to post a form-check video
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Crpap...i don't know why I said deadlifts..I meant squats. I was thinking deadlifts for some reason. yes, this is when I do squats.

Oh squats? Well they give girls that look that's irrestible to men :)
  • jenanigans_from_space
    Options
    For squats, my trainers keep saying in classes to suck in your gut to get rid of any lower back pain: belly button to spine.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Perhaps your abs aren't engaging properly on the squat. Lower back pain while squatting usually means you're bending forward too much at the waist, keeping your abs from engaging during the exercise.

Are you doing squats with a barbell on your back/shoulders? Have you considered de-loading the weight some (5-10lbs) to see if that helps?
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    edit.
    I see you meant squats.
    My gluts!
  • skeo
    Options
    I think that's what it is. I will video myself to check my form later this week.
  • cstoney2013
    Options
    'form check video' , LMAO
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Oh squats ... feel them hard in my quads, hamstrings, glutes and abs. Have some wicked DOMS in my abs right now from squat day yesterday!
  • skeo
    Options
    I haven't tried deloading, just continue to push through my heels to get the bar back up, and yes I am doing the back squats with the bar on my shoulders/upper back area. But I do believe it may be because I am not engaging my core, ie tightening my stomach so I feel at times, I'm leaning too far forward, but on the way manage to push through and get back into a somewhat correct angle.

I will video myself later this week to make sure it's correct and compare.

thanks for your input everyone :)
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My wife's 21 year old trainer had her doing deadlifts--and injured her lower back. It is a stupid/ridiculous exercise. Youre literally lifting EXACTLY how youre not supposed to per every safety course at any workplace. STOP immediately. *in theory* there is a way to do it that will cause minimal damage but in practice its downright stupid.

^^^ Skips leg day.
  • cstoney2013
    Options
    This is the first time I heard that squats were bad for you...hmmm
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried deloading, just continue to push through my heels to get the bar back up, and yes I am doing the back squats with the bar on my shoulders/upper back area. But I do believe it may be because I am not engaging my core, ie tightening my stomach so I feel at times, I'm leaning too far forward, but on the way manage to push through and get back into a somewhat correct angle.

I will video myself later this week to make sure it's correct and compare.

thanks for your input everyone :)

Check this out. It links to an article that goes into more detail how you can strengthen areas that might be causing issues with your form.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1018359-do-you-cave-in-when-you-squat

This is in the ETP group. If you can video your squats, there is a place there that you can post for a critique.