Deadlifts...feel it in the lower back?

Options

Replies

• WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    My wife's 21 year old trainer had her doing deadlifts--and injured her lower back. It is a stupid/ridiculous exercise. Youre literally lifting EXACTLY how youre not supposed to per every safety course at any workplace. STOP immediately. *in theory* there is a way to do it that will cause minimal damage but in practice its downright stupid.

uuuummmmmmm DYEL? you definitely don't just bend over and grab the weight...
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options

Check this out. It links to an article that goes into more detail how you can strengthen areas that might be causing issues with your form.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1018359-do-you-cave-in-when-you-squat

This is in the ETP group. If you can video your squats, there is a place there that you can post for a critique.

thank you.
  • WhoHa42
    Options
    OP watch this series, it explains a ton about deadlifting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdjuX-GRby8
  • CubanSammich
    Options
    My wife's 21 year old trainer had her doing deadlifts--and injured her lower back. It is a stupid/ridiculous exercise. Youre literally lifting EXACTLY how youre not supposed to per every safety course at any workplace. STOP immediately. *in theory* there is a way to do it that will cause minimal damage but in practice its downright stupid.

Kill yourself, and fast. I swear, the lack of research into primal movement, and knowledge in general, floors me.
  • CubanSammich
    Options
    I haven't tried deloading, just continue to push through my heels to get the bar back up, and yes I am doing the back squats with the bar on my shoulders/upper back area. But I do believe it may be because I am not engaging my core, ie tightening my stomach so I feel at times, I'm leaning too far forward, but on the way manage to push through and get back into a somewhat correct angle.

I will video myself later this week to make sure it's correct and compare.

thanks for your input everyone :)
    3 words. Elliot Hulse Youtube. The guy is like yoda , knows everything from neuroscience, niche,plato,and packing plates on the bar..,.He helped me get my deadlift up to 405 for reps.
  • WhoHa42
    Options
    I haven't tried deloading, just continue to push through my heels to get the bar back up, and yes I am doing the back squats with the bar on my shoulders/upper back area. But I do believe it may be because I am not engaging my core, ie tightening my stomach so I feel at times, I'm leaning too far forward, but on the way manage to push through and get back into a somewhat correct angle.

I will video myself later this week to make sure it's correct and compare.

thanks for your input everyone :)
    3 words. Elliot Hulse Youtube. The guy is like yoda , knows everything from neuroscience, niche,plato,and packing plates on the bar..,.He helped me get my deadlift up to 405 for reps.

Bro I am wizard, just posted "science of deadlifting" video above you lol
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

Breaking news! Most trainers have no freaking clue! And most clients don't listen anyway! Also, cats on the Internet!

I never hurt myself on deadlifts. The leg press sled though? Different story. Hmmmmm
  • CubanSammich
    Options
    3 minute video, Deadlift will not snap our **** up by professor Hulse himself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPS2_FMaG_g
  • skeo
    Options
    3 minute video, Deadlift will not snap our **** up by professor Hulse himself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPS2_FMaG_g

thanks everyone for the input and video links. Cuban, I actually watched a few of his videos, I learned some insightful stuff specifically for front squats, which I can do with no problem, but back squats hurt my lower back.
  • letmebangbro
    letmebangbro Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Guise, don't do deadlifts.
    One way ticket to snap city.
    Srs.

After i ran around the gym for a few laps, i proceeded to do dead lifts. It's then my trainer, say no deadlift, you hurt back.
    So I stop. And run some more circle in gym.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    'form check video' , LMAO

Do you even.... get up off the couch, bro?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

thanks everyone for the input and video links. Cuban, I actually watched a few of his videos, I learned some insightful stuff specifically for front squats, which I can do with no problem, but back squats hurt my lower back.

I don't think you know the answer to this Q but are you high or low bar squatting? (need to google it) Low bar squatting will place more shearing forces on lower back because of torso angle.

and :laugh: at old mate, DL's are the devil :devil:
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump, need to check out some of these links.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Could probably be due to weaker lower back
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

It's a great way to improve technique.
  • skeo
    Options
    I don't think you know the answer to this Q but are you high or low bar squatting? (need to google it) Low bar squatting will place more shearing forces on lower back because of torso angle.

and :laugh: at old mate, DL's are the devil :devil:

Looks like I low bar squat, the bar is placed on the lower end of my traps, and rests on the shoulders.
  • skeo
    Options

It's a great way to improve technique.

Yeah, I don't know why he "LMAO'ed" ..so I just by-passed it. lol
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Bump for the links
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member