How hitting my weight goal sucked!

Options
2»

Replies

• bgorman65
    bgorman65 Posts: 32 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    As soon as I got below 240, every time a doctors assistant (video visits) asked me how much I weighed, I had to look it up on my phone, or I would say something like, “320”.
    I am exactly there. I am down to about 230# for the first time in 30+ years, and every time someone asks me what I weigh now (supportive friends as well as medical personnel) I start the number with a 3, as in 330#. It's just the place I was in for so long, and I haven't adjusted to the current reality. And I still have a long way to go.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Oh, my goodness, what a great post! I love how you struggled and learned an important lesson from all of it and are now at peace. Congratulations on reaching your goal weight finally! That is a huge achievement in itself. Now you're learning new things. It's a process.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    @sunrise611
    OMG! I love your cookie monster! Even though I haven't had a cookie in many months, we don't want to delete COOKIES!
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you shared this. I often think Goal Weights are a mistake. Atleast hard and strict end goal weights are. You can weigh 150 lbs and look completely different from 150 lbs with a different body composition. On top of that, so many people will hit a number and think the journey is over - when alot of times they really should lose more, or focus on building muscle or even just focus on maintaining. Can't tell you how many people I see hit their number, then go back to doing what they were doing before they dieted - next thing you know they gained all their weight back.

Here's what I did/am doing:
    First, I don't focus on the scale for my successes but on non scale victories. It can be how clothing fits, or how I look in the mirror, but most often it is how I perform doing exercises. That said, I absolutely weigh myself every morning. Beyond that, I have created "mini weight goals" for myself. For instance, I'm currently 240 lbs, started at 361 lbs. I set a goal of 300, then 260 (no longer morbidly obese), next goal is 200 (no longer Obese), then roughly 160 (healthy BMI). That said, I don't have a hard FINAL goal weight. I'm shooting for somewhere between 140 and 175 lbs because it will mostly depend on how I look and feel and perhaps I'll even get down to a certain weight then build myself up with some more muscle.

All that is to say. You are 1000% right. That magic goal weight number is just an imaginary number people pick in their heads - its not a good idea to rely and focus so heavily on it. Thanks so much for sharing! And congrats on the success you have had so far btw!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    Yes, the scale is just a number for sure!

I'm still a good ways from my goal, and still tend to yo-yo the same 10 pounds, but the time I got under the "last" 15 pounds it became really obvious that my goal weight may need to be adjusted (it's based on where I was well into my 30's, so not some random number) - but I have done a LOT of focused weight lifting, something I never really did before - while I was strong, I never followed a real lifting routine like I have off and on the past couple years. The muscle was definitely changing the number vs what I was seeing in the mirror (and my clothes were saying.

All that said, my clothes also clearly state that my current weight is NOT remotely close to "goal weight in site" LOL
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I do think there is something to be said for realizing goal weights can be both slipperly slopes (I still have this roll! MUST LOSE MORE) and kind of... hm, hard to gauge when you're in the process/a long way away.

I THOUGHT I was mostly just fat in my stomach and would lose that. That's about 50lbs of fat, my arms and legs look fine.

My size change says lol, no.

I lost weight in my hands (ring size dropped), feet (shoe size dropped), arms (I swear a smaller bracelet (bingo wings), face (I own a mirror), neck and chest (my collar bones got more pronounced, my neck appears longer), legs (my knee high boots are way too big in the calf now, even though they were not a wide size to start with). My saggy, wrinkly, butt and inner thighs say I lost there as WELL as my stomach.

I really think it's an 'assess as you go' thing and that always seeking outside perspective is useful.
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Options
    I'm actually struggling with this idea atm. I lost 90 of my 100 lbs, and I'm like 'should I keep going? why?' Its like I'm getting pulled in 2 different directions right now. Keep going, or just stop. Tbh, I don't think I ever had this before, so its a new feeling for me.
  • happykangaroo
    happykangaroo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Very true - the number is not everything, it only gives you a limited picture of the story. There are so many other things to take into account. It's all about doing what works for you, what makes you feel your healthiest and allows you to live your best and happiest life, which might not be striving for a certain weight or body fat % or clothing size.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!