Tracking Marinades

Options
Lately I have been really into marinading my tofu but I am not sure how to track it. Since it does not all soak into the tofu I am not eating all the marinade in the recipe. The marinades are not many calories so its not that big of a deal either way but I was wondering how everyone else tracks their marinade.

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    You could weigh the marinade before and after soaking the tofu, and just log the difference.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I never bothered. Too much minutia for me.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    In order from most to least precise:

- Do a lot of experimentation and math to determine exactly how much marinade to make so the tofu absorbs almost all of it and you don't throw any away. A vacuum sealer or pressure cooking may help here (although I don't know how well softer tofus would handle being pressure-cooked, I've never tried to do that and I feel like it's probably messy).
    - Follow SuzySunshine99's advice, weigh the marinade before and after soaking the tofu and figure the difference. This assumes the tofu absorbs all of the ingredients in the same proportion, which may not be the case.
    - Log it as if you ate all of the marinade; this will overestimate your calories, but if your goal is weight loss, this is fine. If your goal is to gain, have a little snack at some point in addition to your marinated tofu to make up the difference.
    - Log it as if you ate none of the marinade; this will underestimate your calories, but if your goal is weight gain, this is fine. If your goal is to lose, skip a little snack or go a little lighter on something else at some point to make up the difference.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I never bothered. Too much minutia for me.

more or less, thats how i do it LOL

a lot of times, just to add SOME calories ill take the highest calorie ingredient in it (usually an oil of some kind) and add a small portion of that to my diary for the meal. maybe 1/4 teaspoon or something. that way i feel like im not totally ignoring it. but a lot of times, i dont even do that.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I log the entire marinade. On most occasions I’ll use the leftover marinade to create a dressing of some sort anyway (usually by mixing it into a little Skyr) so it makes sense to count it all.

(Obviously, you can’t do that if you’re marinading meat products but it works well with Tofu and Tempeh and other plant based proteins)