Exercise as a woman, at dark, alone

2»

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    What about one of the folding treadmills that slide under a bed? Good for you, not so much for the pup.
  • no1wf
    no1wf Posts: 36 Member
    I won't exercise in the dark either. I totally get what you're up against.
    Can you do any home YouTube exercise videos? Home workouts are great, especially yoga or bodyweight exercises.
    Even a half-hour walk at lunchtime would benefit you. That's 150 minutes total Mon-Fri. Better than nothing!
    Can you stand at your desk rather than sitting?
    Increase your NEAT during the day? Anything that gets you moving.

My work is entirely standing so I'm not too worried about that, like you say it's better than nothing. For dinner we only get 30mins so by the time I've made and eaten my dinner there's not a lot left. Youtube is a good shout though, I did actually used to do yoga a while ago!
    LeeH31 wrote: »
    @no1wf When I was walking at night it was on a country road in the mountains. What surprised me is how many folks suddenly started sitting on their porch until I passed by, and how many were still there when I headed home. There was even one State Trooper that went out of his way to drive by and check on me. I always walked at the same time so everyone knew I was out there. They even left porch lights on for me. Never felt safer even though the houses were a quarter mile apart or more.

Can you get to know the folks on your route, even stop in and ask if they will look out for you? Maybe they already are watching for you. Wave if you see them peeking!

I also carried a blazing big spotlight used to see deer in the dark. It could've been used to land planes during a power outage. Any time a vehicle approached I shone it on the road in front of myself so they would see me. Also useful to blind anyone coming at you!

How cool is that, how kind of them! Unfortunately our route is a wooded area, there is no houses just a wide path through the trees. It's funny to see the contrast, here the idea is to not take the same route every time because if someone is watching you with bad intentions they know exactly where you're going to be at what time, and in my head me carrying a huge light would draw attention to me! We do have a residential area, like blocks of houses (not American city blocks, a lot smaller) it'd be a bit mind-numbing walking around in a circle and not much to look at, not completely safe either judging by the smashed car window I passed yesterday, but it is lit by streetlights!
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Can your father walk with you?
    Can you walk short blocks - even just down your street and back and down your street and back.

I did those things when cycling in the winter before I married.

My Dad unfortunately has COPD and can't walk from one side of the room to the other without being breathless. But as the post above made me think, we do have blocks of residential area housing while not entirely safe it's an option and better than the pitch black of the woods so I might give that a try and see how I feel doing it.
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    @no1wf

I traveled through Wales many years ago. Very beautiful area.

You said you'd heard of some things happening locally. I agree with the above poster who said listen to your gut.

Yes, find a way to use the treadmill.

I also agree with the poster who suggested YouTube videos. I'm a fan of outdoor walking, not videos, but I've walked and danced to videos in severe winter weather. There's enough variety that you could probably find something. In the last year, I read about a man under COVID lockdown who kept up his marathon training by fast walking and jogging on his condo balcony over and over.

I think the treadmill is obviously the safest option, and the most likely at the moment. I didn't realise how much I enjoyed walking outdoors and spending time with the dog until now that I'm realising that it's not a great idea and hopefully the next few months fly by :D
    Taking a slightly different tack, if you’re at uni in the UK, see if they offer free self defence classes. I’m not suggesting you ignore your gut instinct but it could help you to feel more confident when you do have to go out and about (I used to teach teenage girls self defence as a martial arts instructor).

Again, I’m not suggesting classes are a panacea, but anecdotal evidence from attackers (info gleaned from the Police) suggested that confident or ballsy-looking women are less likely to be targets (they don’t want someone who will scream, fight back or draw attention). So I used to teach confident body language and painful self-defence methods - but these will still never replace being safe in the first case. Most unis or student unions will have access to courses for you, and I always recommend them for normal life.

I like to think that because when I walk I've got a bit of speed going that I look like I know what I'm doing, I mean business, look the part y'know? But I probably look like I'm walking fast incase anyone tries to catch me :D We do have some local gyms that I know do boxing and things so maybe they have something similar in the way of self defence classes I can definitely take a look.
    There are probably other people in the area with dogs who have the same issue, well worth asking around other dog owners, to see if anyone would like to go out walking with you?

I actually looked last night as I know there is a local walking group, but they only walk in the daytime, typical! :D That's a good point though maybe I'm not the only one, I don't see many others when we're out, no women, but maybe better reached on our local facebook group!
    If you have a flipbelt type runners belt or one of the Amazon knockoffs, it’s very easy to have your phone with you. I always wear pocketless leggings when out walking so keep my phone in my runners belt.

My phone is also my wallet, so I also always have ID, credit cards (there’s a very tempting pastry stand in the middle of nowhere on my route) and easy volume control I can feel through the belt at my fingertips, for when I’m passing construction or on a heavily traveled road.

It’s helpful to be hyper aware of your surroundings ans make mental notes, too. There’s a Union cemetery on one side of my neighborhood and a Confederate on the other. Both are empty at any time of the day, but I know the workers in the Union one would keep an eye on me, whereas I noticed homeless men from a couple of nearby encampments have taken up residence in the Confederate one. You wouldn’t notice if you weren’t paying attention.

The guy who bathes in the lawyer’s fancy fountain frequently sleeps in the stairwell of an old converted cotton warehouse on the path, right in the center of town. And another has taken to sleeping in a shallow unused loading dock. Again, if you weren’t being aware, you’d never notice.

You’ve got to be proactive.

I agree, I've been to America many times alone and while I've not walked around at night (though in NYC and Vegas I don't believe they know what night is lol) I'm still hyper aware of my surroundings but still can relax and enjoy myself. Maybe this is because I'm looking after someone else aswell (being the dog) I'm more concerned for her than I am for myself :D
    I think @springlering62 and @claireychn074 bring up really good points about confidence and speaking to people. For most anyone I pass by, I look at them directly in the face and say "hello." Many of these people I regularly encounter so we know each other by sight at this point, and it is meant to be polite and friendly, but it's also an assertion of confidence - "I see you, and I've looked directly at your face, and I'm not afraid."

I would not do this with a person who was obviously mentally unstable, because you can't predict their behavior in the same way - I've never encountered it on a run but have in other situations while walking. My strategy then is to increase distance as much and as quickly as possible without drawing attention to myself.

I agree, that's a good point. To be honest I don't pass many people on our route but I wouldn't want to be sat here thinking "oh I hardly see anyone so if I go out at dark I'll be fine there'll be no one there" because I think that's exactly when someone with bad intentions would be out! :D
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Doesn't seem right in what way? That is exactly how you deal with a decline in activity and/or exercise. My activity, both general and deliberate exercise tends to dip significantly in the winter months and I become more of a weekend warrior than regular daily exerciser for the same reason...dark in the AM and dark in the PM...not to mention freezing temperatures. I'm not very good about it, but the way to deal with that is to reduce my calorie intake.

I've been at this since late 2012 and been more or less maintaining since spring of 2013 save for I'm bad about dropping my calorie intake in the winter so I usually put on 8-10 Lbs and then take it off in the spring. I'm planning to do better this year as I purchased a smart trainer for my bike late last winter and Zwift so that I can cycle indoors in the winter...we shall see how it goes as I much prefer to be outside.

I meant it like that's the general 'how to' of losing weight or a lifestyle change, you eat less and move more. And I suppose I don't want to just rely on eating less and hoping that I move enough at work I still want to do something extra if that makes sense?

Because I've never been in this situation before I've never thought about what happens when it's dark, I suppose some people are lucky maybe they have their own land or they prefer the gym or whatever reason that they can keep things going during their winter. But on the other hand maybe that's just what happens to the rest of us we just sort of hibernate then reawaken in the spring!

I'm planning to do extra long walks on the weekends though to make up for it, and to make it up to the dog!
    Honestly, there are two issues here. One is how safe you feel and practical advice has been given.

The other is weight loss and yeah, that... really is just a matter of calorie deficit. when you need to be less active, just eat less. I sprained my ankle badly in July. I lost a lot of my activity to heal. Seasons change, injuries happen, schedules go to pot, people get sick, emergencies within the family or work eat more time and take away some time to be active.

Might as well get used to adjusting for those things now. Otherwise you're going to be thrown much harder when inevitability happens, you know? Find a way to get it in if you can but for general health. Also practice the need to adjust intake for the absolute certainty that your activity will fluctuate with life.

You're right, that's true. I think this goes along with what I've just realised above. This year at uni is extremely important, I have an exam in June and a memory like a sieve so I need to be studying like a pro, and I think this is where the part of my brain comes in that goes "dont waste time exercising you need to study!"

So I'm thinking more along the lines of cutting the portion size a bit but also still doing a little exercise, maybe 30mins on the treadmill as opposed to my usual 1hr outside, leaving extra time for studying.
    I didn't read the whole thread, but you mentioned you felt bad for the dog not getting its walk if you use the treadmill.

Dog can walk on treadmill, too. :) All it cares about is you and a bit of exercise. You could let it sniff right outside your door for its "outside" fix.

Aw that's cute! My dog is nervous, any bang or sudden loud noise or movement and she flinches and runs. She's seen the treadmill and isn't impressed :D:D We're lucky we do have a lengthy side garden so Dad sits outside with her in the afternoons and she has a sniff and run around. I do enjoy our walks together but we'll still get them at the weekend.
    AKTipsyCat wrote: »
    Is there a HS nearby that might have a track you can walk on? I wear reflectors, carry a blinky light, and bear spray. I live in Alaska so by next month it will be dark most of the day, and I routinely walk in single digit weather. Cold is never an excuse for me not to get out doors - because you can always dress for cold. (however, give me a hot day and I'm useless - LOL, can't really dress for heat.)

Oh I agree I'll walk in the cold it doesn't bother me, if you've got the right coat and stuff I'm good lol The nearest high school is actually at the end of the route we take if we were to carry on and not cut off where we do. Though I think it might work a bit differently where you are, here when school is done the gates are locked and you can't get in so I wouldn't be able to use their courts. Good shout though!

That's a really good idea, do you have any neighbours you could team up with? Bonus for you and it means your dog won't only get a walk 2 days a week, so win win!

If your dog isn't walking Monday-Friday, how is she getting exercise those days, in a garden? Maybe you can join her and do some garden exercise too for your calorie burn - I know a few people who did this while gyms were closed and ended up enjoying being able to do it outside vs in front of the TV.

You know what, you've just given me an idea! My dog does roam the garden in the afternoon as my Dad looks after her, so I don't really fancy doing anything there as I don't know what I'm stepping in :D However, 40lb ago I bought a skipping rope! I did use it but I got bad leg pain so figured I was just too overweight and all of my weight bouncing on my bones was causing the pain. But I could try again now and see if things are any easier, especially since we've had our back garden patio-ed we have more room!
    What about one of the folding treadmills that slide under a bed? Good for you, not so much for the pup.

I have a treadmill I bought in 2015 and has mostly done a fantastic job at being tucked away :D It's one of those proper motorised ones though so it folds upwards rather than flat but I'm sure with a bit of moving things around downstairs I can find a setup that works. Until Christmas when we need the table to have our Christmas dinner at :D Yeah I do feel bad for her bless her, the vet said she was about 2kg overweight herself so I want to make sure she's healthy too but not at the cost of our safety really.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Is there a HS nearby that might have a track you can walk on? I wear reflectors, carry a blinky light, and bear spray. I live in Alaska so by next month it will be dark most of the day, and I routinely walk in single digit weather. Cold is never an excuse for me not to get out doors - because you can always dress for cold. (however, give me a hot day and I'm useless - LOL, can't really dress for heat.)

68sz0ile00x2.png
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    Hi, I'm also in the UK, I live in the countryside and regularly walk/run through the fields and woods alone, in the dark if necessary.

My take on it is this: In an area with few people, why on earth would a potential attacker hang out in the cold and dark on the off chance someone would walk past? The only people out and about are farmers and dog walkers, and maybe the odd runner / mountain biker. Usually at night there's noone.

As a tiny precaution, I avoid routine. Never the same route at the same time of day/ day of the week. But generally I don't feel unsafe. I would be far more worried walking alone through a brightly lit city at night than across my local field tracks!

Having spent every weekend of my childhood on a very isolated tract of land (no running water, no electricity, toilet was a log over a hole with a bucket of lime. Dad liked to fantasize he was a pioneer.), fear of the dark is a powerful thing.

It’s probably one of the deepest, instinctive fears we have.

Having to go “up the hill” in the middle of the night to go potty was terrifying, especially when Dad delighted in quietly following and making bear noises. I suppose in retrospect he was making sure I was ok out in the woods alone, but it was pretty damn traumatizing.

And his stupid “midnight walks” where he’d unexpectedly roust us out of bed for a walk, likewise. No flashlights allowed, and once the whole family was treed by a pack of wild boars who stayed forrrrever til they ate all the windfall apples.

If you’ve got the chutzpah to go running at night on farm tracks, I salute you. I. Could. Not. Do. It.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    When I had a dog, we walked in the dark alone together. He was a 75 pound husky and looked intimidating, even though he was actually the biggest love bug in the world.

For almost 20 years now I have carried pepper spray and a phone.

uidzykuakaz6.jpg

Beautiful, beautiful dog.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    How did you walk your dog before March 2021?
  • no1wf
    Hi, I'm also in the UK, I live in the countryside and regularly walk/run through the fields and woods alone, in the dark if necessary.

My take on it is this: In an area with few people, why on earth would a potential attacker hang out in the cold and dark on the off chance someone would walk past? The only people out and about are farmers and dog walkers, and maybe the odd runner / mountain biker. Usually at night there's noone.

As a tiny precaution, I avoid routine. Never the same route at the same time of day/ day of the week. But generally I don't feel unsafe. I would be far more worried walking alone through a brightly lit city at night than across my local field tracks!

I think it's because we do take the same route every night that's playing a big part, it's not the best idea I know and there was a man one day that backtracked on himself walking alone that made me very suspicious. It just happens to be the longest way that we can walk that isn't against a road (nervous dog).

I'd like to go at night and assume that because it's dark no one will be out so I'll be on my own, but the other part of me thinks 'if there's no one else out then there's a reason for that' lol
    lorrpb wrote: »
    How did you walk your dog before March 2021?

I was a bad Mum and only walked her on weekends. I work full time and would say that I was too tired after work, and when uni is on (roughly Sept/Oct - May/June) I would say I needed to study. Now I actually enjoy walking together and find it benefits not just me but her too, I'd like to find a way to keep going and study at the same time.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    I walk outside at night a lot (but try to stay where it's well lit but...have you thought about taking along something for self defense just in case? I take a flashlight/taser with me altho the only time I ever got anyone was myself accidentally when showing someone how it worked. :)
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member

My take on it is this: In an area with few people, why on earth would a potential attacker hang out in the cold and dark on the off chance someone would walk past?
    The only people out and about are farmers and dog walkers, and maybe the odd runner / mountain biker. Usually at night there's noone.

This (the bolded sentence) is exactly right. I was robbed once at gunpoint doing charity work in a bad area -- in Washington, D.C. in full daylight, rush hour, walking to a bus stop two blocks from my building. Two gang guys who knew my routine planned the robbery.

The idea that the bad guys are waiting in the dark to get us is mostly from TV and the movies. Of course, bad guys could drive by and see a woman out alone, or could know your routine and be waiting -- but at night you are actually more likely to trip in the darkness and hurt yourself.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread. Vary your routine and team up with other people are excellent suggestions.

• no1wf
    glassyo wrote: »
    I walk outside at night a lot (but try to stay where it's well lit but...have you thought about taking along something for self defense just in case? I take a flashlight/taser with me altho the only time I ever got anyone was myself accidentally when showing someone how it worked. :)

We're not legally allowed to have pepper spray or anything that we wouldn't need with what we're doing, if that makes sense? Like if I was stopped by the police while walking the dog and I was carrying a baseball bat, I'd be questioned. Granted its a case of weighing up having something that you might need but you could get pulled up on it, versus god forbid one day having to use it but once the police are involved you still get done for having it when you shouldn't. Sorry I'm bad at explaining :D
    We had a lovely rescue who had been hit by a car and had severe injuries, including metal pins up and down one entire leg, and gravel embedded in his head. Our vet surmised he’d been hit earlier, too, because she said X-rays showed what she described as a broken hip with the femur “jammed back in to the muscle like they hoped it would heal”.
    The poor creature was cobbled back together.

When we got him, he was terrified of cars. His eyes would roll back any time one drove by at any speed, and he’d jerk uncontrollably on the leash to get as far away as he could.

It wasn’t til we moved to an urban area that he got over it. His desire to go into the coffee shop or to the Square for pet-pets outweighed his fear. He was jokingly known as the Mayor, because everybody knew him.

So finding something yours enjoys and looks forward to enough to outweigh his fear is the ticket. Maybe a treat or special pet-pets at a specific stopping point.

RIP, little black dog.

nr73hq2lknly.jpeg

Oh my days look at that little guy <3

I tell her it's okay, try and reassure her but not too much because while it's positive reinforcement I worry that she thinks I'm rewarding her for flinching and reacting to noise.

These random bangs have been happening lately and we've found out that there's a farmer who's decided to get one of those gunshot sounding bird scarers, so that's been great :/
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    I think you ought to be walking your dog more often than just at weekends, for the dog's benefit, never mind yours. If you aren't prepared to do it other than in daylight then could you hire a dog walker to come round on days you aren't there? As for self-protection, you could take a walking stick. Coppers can't complain about that. I think that trying to find someone to accompany you is a great idea.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    I like the idea someone else said earlier about looking to see if there is a walking group in the area.

Second idea would be to use the treadmill at home and take your dog for just a short walk around the block. If your area is rural this may be tough, but it could just be a little bit down the road. Then your doggo is getting outside too. :)

Next idea is to adjust your route and find a place that is well-lit, or maybe even a shopping mall to walk around inside. Growing up, my mom and her friends used to walk inside one of the school buildings. They just talked to the administration and the custodians were willing to work with them. :)
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Argh - So I was really thinking, come on, it can't be that bad... and then, yesterday I had to do the "outside component" of my two work outs a day and decided to walk around the neighborhood at 6am. This summer it was bright out so no big, now that it's dark? Creepy. It's Alaska, so I'm used to it being dark for a lot of my walks in the evening after work when winter kicks in - but there are always people about...walking their dogs, getting home from work, riding their fat bikes... I didn't have my bear spray because I wasn't going to be walking on the creek trail nearby... that may change if I have to keep walking at this time, LOL - also - I used to remember people being out that early walking their dogs - I guess the make up of the neighborhood has changed because it was no one - until, thankfully, the trash pick up truck followed me down one of the roads doing it's thing...
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Argh - So I was really thinking, come on, it can't be that bad... and then, yesterday I had to do the "outside component" of my two work outs a day and decided to walk around the neighborhood at 6am. This summer it was bright out so no big, now that it's dark? Creepy. It's Alaska, so I'm used to it being dark for a lot of my walks in the evening after work when winter kicks in - but there are always people about...walking their dogs, getting home from work, riding their fat bikes... I didn't have my bear spray because I wasn't going to be walking on the creek trail nearby... that may change if I have to keep walking at this time, LOL - also - I used to remember people being out that early walking their dogs - I guess the make up of the neighborhood has changed because it was no one - until, thankfully, the trash pick up truck followed me down one of the roads doing it's thing...

I walk before dawn, in the dark, every morning for this very reason. I love feeling like I have the whole world to myself. (I'm also an introvert, btw.)
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited September 2021
    I (female) walk my dogs in the morning year round, generally before 6 AM, and it is dark much of the year. I just stick to my own neighbourhood and stay on the sidewalks where there are houses - there is an empty field and a park on one of my routes and I don't walk through or past those when it's dark. I certainly wouldn't be walking through a "wooded area" alone in the dark - although the wooded area I frequent in the summer I am more afraid of running into bears than people.
    If I were you and that was my only option I would use the treadmill for myself, and take the dog out to play fetch or something in the yard for his exercise.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,733 Member
    edited September 2021
    @no1wf, does your village have a FB group? Could you put a post on your local Facebook group asking if any other local woman are in the same situation and want a walking buddy for after-dark dog walks?
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    I used to run alone in my local park, so I know where you're coming from.

I bought a high vis thing from amazon that also has little battery powered LEDs in it . I felt safer in this because I was more obvious to those around (so if someone tried to drag me into a bush I'd still stand out while I fought them off!)

I would only run in the dark in the mornings though, because:

1) that's when most other people are out (walking dogs, exercising etc)
    2) it's getting lighter rather than darker
    3) people expect me back at the house/at work etc at a certain time, so if something happened the alarm would be raised quickly.

I know it's really scary at the moment with what happened the other week, so obviously listen to your gut, but please don't let the actions of men deter you from what you enjoy. Also, if you see any other women on your walk, don't be afraid to ask if you can walk with them. I certainly wouldn't mind if someone asked me.

X