Motivation weight loss clinic

2»

Replies

• Batdad236
    Batdad236 Posts: 13 Member

I am thinking you can eat more than that and still lose at a good pace. That seems pretty low for a guy of your size (both in height and weight right now). Instead of the fastest rate of loss like it seems like you probably have it set at, set it somewhere in the middle. It will give you more calories to work with and you will FEEL better and that is a big thing! It also makes it far easier for you to stick with! Losing weight at a slower rate might feel a bit discouraging, but if it means you KEEP it off (and statistically, it means you are more likely to!) then it is worth it!

If you haven't yet, read those first 2 links in particular I posted above, they will give you a good starting point for logging your food. Feel free to send a friend request if you would like (just click on my profile picture here). I'm off and on throughout the day most days, from stupid o'clock in the morning till suppertime.

Thank you so much. Yeah those links are super helpful. I think that was my downfall back in 2014, I had lost quite a bit of weight quickly and when i moved across Ireland to start my family i found it harder to lose the weight again and bad habits crept back in. Now it is pure focus (and positive thoughts) that are driving me and the push to be the best me, which in turn takes time but is so worth it!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member

I am thinking you can eat more than that and still lose at a good pace. That seems pretty low for a guy of your size (both in height and weight right now). Instead of the fastest rate of loss like it seems like you probably have it set at, set it somewhere in the middle. It will give you more calories to work with and you will FEEL better and that is a big thing! It also makes it far easier for you to stick with! Losing weight at a slower rate might feel a bit discouraging, but if it means you KEEP it off (and statistically, it means you are more likely to!) then it is worth it!

If you haven't yet, read those first 2 links in particular I posted above, they will give you a good starting point for logging your food. Feel free to send a friend request if you would like (just click on my profile picture here). I'm off and on throughout the day most days, from stupid o'clock in the morning till suppertime.

Thank you so much. Yeah those links are super helpful. I think that was my downfall back in 2014, I had lost quite a bit of weight quickly and when i moved across Ireland to start my family i found it harder to lose the weight again and bad habits crept back in. Now it is pure focus (and positive thoughts) that are driving me and the push to be the best me, which in turn takes time but is so worth it!

maintaining weight loss is just as hard, if not harder in some ways, than losing. it's a different mindset and focus, which is why many choose to set new goals to work on at that point, or shortly before reaching maintenance.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited September 2021
    -snip-

Wow thank you so much for the support! I was with them back in 2014 and lost a lot of weight so naturally i thought i would go again now and it would "work for me again right?" I mean before lockdown here in Ireland i was doing well in the gym and using Kevin Curry's Fit Men Cook recipes ( i was a chef a lifetime ago but enjoy cooking Still). It was great the loss was great and i was feeling great then lock down in Ireland and we couldn't go back to gyms for almost a year, we could only travel 2km outside our homes and i suffered mentally as have so many others. So from the bottom of my heart i do thank you sincerely.

So i am currently 34yrs 26.2stone / 366.8lbs / 166.3777kgs and i am 6foot3. i believe my calories are set to 2,260 and yes i do have my MFP set up with all that in and updated! lol

To the bolded: that is EXACTLY how businesses like this want you to think. They want you to think of weight management as something you do for a while until your body is an acceptable size, at which point you can stop and go back to living "normally." Then of course you gain the weight back because you didn't learn anything about food or nutrition or how to stay at goal when you get there - why would they want that? They want you to think you have to spend hundreds on their special magic bars or whatever in order to lose weight, because that's how they get paid. Congrats on getting out of the weight-loss Matrix, I wish you great success on your journey here :)

This is exactly why actual counting is so important as opposed to estimating. The counting is a ritual that puts one in a frame of mind to stay focused on weight loss or maintenance. There is no good substitute for this action step unless one relies upon prayer, meditation or the like (which may all work well too). Logging calories several times per day is the best method to avoid aversion and denial - the enemies of goal achievement.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,748 Member
    Batdad236 wrote: »

To bolded words #2: I'm a skeptic about pure focus and positive thoughts, too. Useful, maybe necessary to get things rolling, but are they durable long term? For me, not really: There's a lot going on in life, and my focus sometimes needs to be on something other than eating/bodyweight . . . y'know, kind of like your moving and starting a family seems to have shifted your focus last time? (That's not "bad", it's normal. Maybe plan for it?)

To bolded words #1: At some point during weight loss, I personally think it's very useful to turn one's focus and positive thoughts - while they're available - to experimenting and finding new habits, habits that are relatively easy and happy to sustain long-term . . . habits that have reaching/staying at a healthy weight as an outcome.

Doing unusual, difficult things to lose weight fast can get the weight off, but it's the productive, positive easy habits that help keep weight where it needs to be long-term. (FWIW, I'm in year 5+ of maintaining a healthy weight, after around 3 previous decades of overweight/obesity before that.)

This next is just an observation: You say you have your calories on MFP set to 2260. I have my calories on MFP set to 1850, but most days eat in the vicinity of that 2260, and more (once I add in exercise calories). I'm female, age 65, 5'5", around 125 pounds, maintaining my weight. I admit I'm mysteriously a good li'l ol' calorie burner for my demographic for some reason, but you're around half my age, nearly 3 times my bodyweight, 10" taller, and 100% male-er.

So far, you're losing weight like a house afire, which may be psychologically satisfying now, but there are definite down-sides of fast loss (like increased health risks). Many of us here think 1% of current body weight per week is a quite aggressive loss rate.

If you continue losing this fast for another couple of weeks, you may want to give your calorie goal a bit of a think. Losing any meaningful amount of weight is a long-term proposition, a process of months to maybe even years (if a lot to lose in total). Keeping that weight off, for those of us with an inclination to overweight, is a *permanent* proposition.

Cutting calories is essential for weight management . . . living in a satisfying, relatively easy while doing it is also essential.

Wishing you much success, and good health!
  • Batdad236
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Batdad236 wrote: »

To bolded words #2: I'm a skeptic about pure focus and positive thoughts, too. Useful, maybe necessary to get things rolling, but are they durable long term? For me, not really: There's a lot going on in life, and my focus sometimes needs to be on something other than eating/bodyweight . . . y'know, kind of like your moving and starting a family seems to have shifted your focus last time? (That's not "bad", it's normal. Maybe plan for it?)

To bolded words #1: At some point during weight loss, I personally think it's very useful to turn one's focus and positive thoughts - while they're available - to experimenting and finding new habits, habits that are relatively easy and happy to sustain long-term . . . habits that have reaching/staying at a healthy weight as an outcome.

Doing unusual, difficult things to lose weight fast can get the weight off, but it's the productive, positive easy habits that help keep weight where it needs to be long-term. (FWIW, I'm in year 5+ of maintaining a healthy weight, after around 3 previous decades of overweight/obesity before that.)

This next is just an observation: You say you have your calories on MFP set to 2260. I have my calories on MFP set to 1850, but most days eat in the vicinity of that 2260, and more (once I add in exercise calories). I'm female, age 65, 5'5", around 125 pounds, maintaining my weight. I admit I'm mysteriously a good li'l ol' calorie burner for my demographic for some reason, but you're around half my age, nearly 3 times my bodyweight, 10" taller, and 100% male-er.

So far, you're losing weight like a house afire, which may be psychologically satisfying now, but there are definite down-sides of fast loss (like increased health risks). Many of us here think 1% of current body weight per week is a quite aggressive loss rate.

If you continue losing this fast for another couple of weeks, you may want to give your calorie goal a bit of a think. Losing any meaningful amount of weight is a long-term proposition, a process of months to maybe even years (if a lot to lose in total). Keeping that weight off, for those of us with an inclination to overweight, is a *permanent* proposition.

Cutting calories is essential for weight management . . . living in a satisfying, relatively easy while doing it is also essential.

Wishing you much success, and good health!

Thank you for your insight and your kindness!
    I agree losing weight at a fast rate is 1 not good for my physical health in the long run and 2 my mental health. If I put on weight again which is what happened the first time and my mental health took a nose dive believe me there was days I didn't want to get up at all.

I should probably clarify the planning a family thing. We didn't plan our first child (although she is the most amazing little lady) it was more the moving across country away from my friends and family to a rural setting where I only knew my wife's family and I am a city boy!

There have been advantages we have a second daughter and at 30 I fell into my dream job and have been there since.

One last drawback has been lockdown. I finally got into a great rhythm in a gym I loved had a great workout program and a great group of staff there helping out. I was losing weight and feeling amazing until covid hit and they have only just finished a renovation and are opened up recently but I joined another gym that offer no help or assessment but the bright side that membership is up in 2 weeks and I can go back to my old gym and get the assistance and most importantly the guidance I need to get back on track!

I am on the road to making myself better and getting to the me i have longed to be!
  • Batdad236
    I think of the My Fitness Pal community as my "motivation weight loss clinic."

I am realizing the same myself!