Whole Foods in-store calorie listings

Options
Checking with the group wisdom: How reliable are the calorie counts given at Whole Foods? I picked up a slice of their vegetable torte for lunch; the signage in the case said 150 calories for a wedge, but I'm questioning it. (Sorry about the enormous photos. rrj0l2gpa8g9.jpg
safradhhp1bo.jpg
0gveqvuucy6s.jpg

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    That doesn't seem to be an unreasonable estimate to me. Most of the calories would be the cheese and olive oil. Without knowing how much of each ingredient they are using, I would go with their posted calorie count.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Close enough for government work, IMO. The only calorie dense ingredients are the parm and olive oil. Parm is surprisingly calorie-efficient for a flavorful cheese, IMO - maybe 110 calories/oz (28g). The olive oil is well down the ingredient list. Might be more than an ounce of parm per serving - hard to tell from side view.

Keep in mind, the calorie count is for a 4 oz serving. You have a 0.8 pound package shown: 12.8 ounces, that's 3.2 x 4-oz servings, roughly, so about 480 calories per the info given.

Math FTW. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Actually, it looks like they got .63 pounds, which is about 10 oz...but, yes, good catch, it's way more than the 4oz serving listed on the sign.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I'll make sure to correct the portion size/weight when I put it in my food diary.

Actually, since they list the ingredients on the label, I can make a torte like this at home and know exactly how to count calories & nutrition.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Close enough for government work, IMO. The only calorie dense ingredients are the parm and olive oil. Parm is surprisingly calorie-efficient for a flavorful cheese, IMO - maybe 110 calories/oz (28g). The olive oil is well down the ingredient list. Might be more than an ounce of parm per serving - hard to tell from side view.

Keep in mind, the calorie count is for a 4 oz serving. You have a 0.8 pound package shown: 12.8 ounces, that's 3.2 x 4-oz servings, roughly, so about 480 calories per the info given.

Math FTW. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Actually, it looks like they got .63 pounds, which is about 10 oz...but, yes, good catch, it's way more than the 4oz serving listed on the sign.

Ooops, yep - use net, not tare weight - apologies. Good catch, @SuzySunshine991