Least favourite body part

Options
A discussion I overheard made me think about some people’s obsession with one body part; the person I overheard was convinced that slimmer arms would turn her life around.

My least fave body part is my lungs. I can cope with the short stumpy legs (good for weightlifting), the weird skin from hyper mobility, even the past cancer as it made me live more in the day. But my asthma irritates the *kitten* out of me. It interferes in life, reacts to stupid stuff like coriander and interrupts sleep. If I could swap my lungs and immune system I would.

But slimmer arms? Nah, I’m good thanks 😀

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    To look at— was my knees when at normal weight. It’s my bat wings now.

Functioning— thyroid.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    A discussion I overheard made me think about some people’s obsession with one body part; the person I overheard was convinced that slimmer arms would turn her life around.

My least fave body part is my lungs. I can cope with the short stumpy legs (good for weightlifting), the weird skin from hyper mobility, even the past cancer as it made me live more in the day. But my asthma irritates the *kitten* out of me. It interferes in life, reacts to stupid stuff like coriander and interrupts sleep. If I could swap my lungs and immune system I would.

But slimmer arms? Nah, I’m good thanks 😀

I’m just here to find out what you mean by wierd skin from hyper mobility.

Over the past couple years, I’ve learned to love and, better yet, accept it all - though I will confess to a life changing reduction nine or ten years ago.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    My skin, it has always been my skin. Acne in the face (from when I was 12 till now, at 38 still) and so many stretch marks.
    Having lost nearly 70lbs, the stretch marks look a whole lot worse now than when I was obese, combined with loose skin (but if I hadn't become obese, I wouldn't have had as many stretch marks).

My other 'lesser' areas are peanuts compared to those. Well, perhaps my 'resting *kitten* face' deserves a mention too, apparently it scares some people off, lol.

But functionally? My body has not given me any significant trouble at all, really no complaints, I'm lucky!
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My wonky pancreas.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Thinking of bodies as collections of parts is IMO a strange side-effect of having analytic brains (which of course are just one of those integrated parts).

I think it's natural for any of us to wish we didn't have to cope with parts that act up, as OP's lungs do. (For me, it's knees mostly, and eyes the last few years, plus some trivia elsewhere - at this point, it's all got a few miles on it, y'know? 😆) The parts that tried to kill me left surgically, with extreme prejudice, quite a few years back. I don't miss them.

I *am* my body - what remains, anyway - as a totality. I don't really understand that impulse to think my life would be revolutionarily better if some part of me *looked* different. (Is that just a compartmentalized form of self-hatred? 🤷‍♀️)

A lot of parts, ones that could change, that I'd perhaps like to change, I can work on. I don't need to dislike them. The ones that can't change, or I don't want to put in the work it would take, I need to live with. Fussing about things I can't change, or things that aren't changed yet, just seems like unnecessary negativity in the moment, spoils the now.

Others' mileage varies, as usual. 😉
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Hamstrings. I can't get them rounder like I can my biceps. So my legs are more spindly looking. But it's a minor issue. Overall I'm pretty satisfied about how I'm built.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I’m just here to find out what you mean by wierd skin [/quote]

🤣🤣 I have extra stretchy skin, so my knees for instance are permanently wrinkly and I can make faces with them. Thought everyone could pull their skin a couple of inches but it turns out it’s not “normal”. It’s no biggy, just a weird thing!
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    My knees.

I've learned to love (well, more like, not dislike) all the other parts of my body, but my knees are weirdly shaped and look weird.

Also I have a family history of bad knees, so that's also a thing.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My left knee.
    Lost 90% of the lateral cartilege and severed the posterior cruciate ligament,
    It's given me pain for 30 years, has restricted my exercise and sports choices and will end up needing a knee replacement some time in the future.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I always focus on my belly - it has never been flat even when I was slim size 8/10 (UK size)
    At 5ft 7 I was quite lean - but my belly never has never been flat.
    Now at a size 16 and around 30 / 40lbs overweight and 15yrs older my belly is the first thing I see when I look in the mirror.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options

I’m just here to find out what you mean by wierd skin [/quote]

🤣🤣 I have extra stretchy skin, so my knees for instance are permanently wrinkly and I can make faces with them. Thought everyone could pull their skin a couple of inches but it turns out it’s not “normal”. It’s no biggy, just a weird thing![/quote]

Interesting. I’m hyper mobile, too, but the extra skin on my knees is from weight loss. If it’s bagging, it usually means I’m dehydrated.

Now the Floam ring around my belly, that is moldable, and the source of endless bathtub fun.
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Love handles. I can get down to 15% bf and they still don't go away.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    A little less tummy and bust, please…
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    @springlering62 lol, I'm not sure how I'd feel if I had been in that situation, being given reverence and respect for the size of my bosom! Probably it would have triggered my righteous feminist side and annoyed me quite a bit! Luckily I don't have much issues with staring, I generally stay away from public spaces when I can and do a good job of avoiding eye contact and slouching and wearing loose high necked clothes to hide my chest when I can't. If I win the lottery then a breast lift and reduction will be the first thing I do, once I've got to my goal weight so I can see what's left to be dealt with.