Calories in and calories out

Options
FitnessFreak1821
FitnessFreak1821 Posts: 242 Member
edited September 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
So today I ate 1659 calories. With my work out , cleaning the house and going for a 40 minute walk today(including after burn from all these activities, I stop my fit bit once my heart rate is at resting rate) I burned a estimated total of 935. If I minus that from total I ate it gives me total of 724 cals I'm running off of? Is that bad should I be eating more ?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    That's probably bad. I don't know for sure how a FitBit works, but I suspect that in the time you are using it, you are double counting your base calories (that is, the calories you would burn if you were just sitting around and not exercising), so it may not be quite as bad as it seems. What does your workout consist of?
  • FitnessFreak1821
    edited September 2021
    Options
    That's probably bad. I don't know for sure how a FitBit works, but I suspect that in the time you are using it, you are double counting your base calories (that is, the calories you would burn if you were just sitting around and not exercising), so it may not be quite as bad as it seems. What does your workout consist of?

I use the workout setting when I do the workouts or go for a walk. Any time I'm consistently moving and my heart rate is up I put it on. It only starts counting the calories I'm burning then..I don't think it includes the basic 393 it says I burned when I put it on first thing in the morning. 🤔
    I do the Sydney Cummings work outs on YouTube. She does all kinds of workouts, hiit , Tabatta, strength/weight training,. Today I did a 45 minute full body workout that incorporated some weights. She's an amazing trainer. I lost all my pregnancy weight (45 pounds) two years ago and then got pregnant again last year, had my son this past April so I'm trying to get back to where I was before this last pregnancy(130s). I was 167-170 before I started now I'm down to 150s 3 months in this program.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options

I use the workout setting when I do the workouts or go for a walk. Any time I'm consistently moving and my heart rate is up I put it on. It only starts counting the calories I'm burning then..I don't think it includes the basic 393 it says I burned when I put it on first thing in the morning. 🤔
    I do the Sydney Cummings work outs on YouTube. She does all kinds of workouts, hiit , Tabatta, strength/weight training,. Today I did a 45 minute full body workout that incorporated some weights. She's an amazing trainer. I lost all my pregnancy weight (45 pounds) two years ago and then got pregnant again last year, had my son this past April so I'm trying to get back to where I was before this last pregnancy(130s). I was 167-170 before I started now I'm down to 150s 3 months in this program.

935 seems kind of high for the incremental burn (excluding base calories already accounted for in your 1645) from a 45-minute workout that was at least partially resistance training (weights) pus a 40 minute walk. Were you moving heavy furniture during your housecleaning? Since you're only three months in to your program, I'm assuming you're not an extremely well conditioned athlete able to maintain extremely high calorie burning during a 45-minute workout.

In any case, in answer to your initial question, MFP is designed for you to eat back your exercise burns. Undereating, especially extreme undereating, is not a good idea. I just don't feel like I have enough data to know how much you're undereating, but since you're not accounting for any of your exercise, I'm reasonably confident that are undereating to some degree.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    edited September 2021
    Options

935 seems kind of high for the incremental burn (excluding base calories already accounted for in your 1645) from a 45-minute workout that was at least partially resistance training (weights) pus a 40 minute walk. Were you moving heavy furniture during your housecleaning? Since you're only three months in to your program, I'm assuming you're not an extremely well conditioned athlete able to maintain extremely high calorie burning during a 45-minute workout.

In any case, in answer to your initial question, MFP is designed for you to eat back your exercise burns. Undereating, especially extreme undereating, is not a good idea. I just don't feel like I have enough data to know how much you're undereating, but since you're not accounting for any of your exercise, I'm reasonably confident that are undereating to some degree.

I was vacuuming and mopping. I have 6 floors because it's a stacked townhouse so there is alot of stairs. My calorie burn with my work out and afterburn was 353(i usually burn 300-500 cals during a high intensity work out), then I just kept moving cause of the kids and then started cleaning. Burned another 300-400. I literally did not stop long for 2 hours, sat to eat lunch for a few minutes then got back up and finished my cleaning. So I have been moving pretty much all day. Did a walk after dinner but it wasn't very fast burned 222 cals doing that on top.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    So today I ate 1659 calories. With my work out , cleaning the house and going for a 40 minute walk today(including after burn from all these activities, I stop my fit bit once my heart rate is at resting rate) I burned a estimated total of 935. If I minus that from total I ate it gives me total of 724 cals I'm running off of? Is that bad should I be eating more ?

How many calories did your FitBit send to MFP? Is your FitBit synced to MFP? If not, that 935 calories likely includes not just your exercise calorie burns, but your being alive calorie burns, and that is not the number you want to eat back.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    Tracking how much energy you have along with what you’re eating can be helpful.

If you begin to lose enthusiasm for moving, you’re likely restricting too much. Also rate of loss is helpful. If you’re losing at more than 2 pounds a week, and your weight isn’t above 300lbs? You’re restricting too much.

If your energy is good and you’re losing at a reasonable rate? You’re likely fine.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    Options
    Thank you all for clarifying! :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I don’t know about the science here but I’m a Fitbit user and I know that if I eat all the exercise calories my Fitbit syncs to MFP, I don’t lose weight. In fact I usually go with only ever eating a maximum of 50% of those calories back and not every day or it does upset the scales. So honestly I think they over overestimated.

If you look at my post you'll see why it depends.

There are plenty of others that eat every bit of that adjustment and lose at expected or faster, they have to eat more because Fitbit is underestimating.

Others probably have poor food logging accuracy so a balance is hit where it's right on.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    I don’t know about the science here but I’m a Fitbit user and I know that if I eat all the exercise calories my Fitbit syncs to MFP, I don’t lose weight. In fact I usually go with only ever eating a maximum of 50% of those calories back and not every day or it does upset the scales. So honestly I think they over overestimated.

With my FitBit One I had no issues eating100% of the calories it sent over. This was not a device with a heart rate monitor, so it was just counting steps and stairs.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,387 Member
    Options

Even a tracker's just giving you a statistical estimate, not an actual measurement. The implication is that any given good model/brand will be accurate or close for quite a few people, a ways off for a few people (either high or low), and quite surprisingly far off (still high or low) for a very rare few people. That's just how statistical estimates work.

That would be true, even if logging is perfect, and the exercise one does is in the realms where the devices can be reasonably accurate.

If I only ate the calories my good brand/model fitness tracker says I burn, I'd be in the hospital in a few months, severely underweight and faltering. It thinks I burn *hundreds* of calories fewer than my logging & scale-weight results suggest, based on 6+ years of careful logging.

That doesn't mean "trackers overestimate" (in contraposition to your "they underestimate"). It doesn't even mean "trackers are inherently inaccurate". Mostly, it means I'm not statistically average . . . again, assuming my logging is spot-on, and I'm compliant with proper calorie goals, which I do my best to be.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    Options
    I have an old fitbit. It's the fitbit 2 so it doesn't sync to MFP. That I know of anyway 🤔
  • FitnessFreak1821
    Options
    OK so I have myself as active on my fitnesspal...because I work 4-5 days a week now. I give myself a two day break. Am i in the wrong category ? Should I be lightly active? I'm unsure what to put myself as....

Thanks again
  • heybales
    Options
    OK so I have myself as active on my fitnesspal...because I work 4-5 days a week now. I give myself a two day break. Am i in the wrong category ? Should I be lightly active? I'm unsure what to put myself as....

Thanks again

You'll notice all those descriptions for activity level have to do with daily life. NOT exercise.

Unlike other sites where you estimate the amount of exercise you hope to get, and then better do it - MFP has you trying to learn a life lesson about weight management.

You do more you can eat more.
    You do less you sure better eat less.

So exercise is NOT included up front for goals and part of your eating goal.

If you exercise - you are doing more - and can eat more.
    Hence logging it when actually done.

So the descriptions are about working 5 days a week.
    But WHAT is your work for 4-5 days a week now?
    Sedentary? On your feet part of the time? Most the time? Constant movement and hard work?

Then again sedentary is literally a bump on a log 7 days a week and evenings - most people discover they are NOT that when you count non-work hours getting stuff done.

Oh - the Fitbit doesn't sync to MFP.
    Even that old Fitbit syncs to your Fitbit account.
    Your Fitbit account, if linked to MFP, syncs to MFP.
    Fitbit sends steps as a figure to display, weight, and daily calorie burn with time stamp.
    That tells MFP if you are burning less or more than your guess of activity level would cause.
    And MFP creates an adjustment to match the Fitbit.
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

There are plenty of others that eat every bit of that adjustment and lose at expected or faster, they have to eat more because Fitbit is underestimating.

Others probably have poor food logging accuracy so a balance is hit where it's right on.

I wasn’t suggesting your post was wrong, simply sharing my own experience. That’s why I said I don’t know about all the science. Perhaps I should have just said, be aware it may not in some circumstances be accurate.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Even a tracker's just giving you a statistical estimate, not an actual measurement. The implication is that any given good model/brand will be accurate or close for quite a few people, a ways off for a few people (either high or low), and quite surprisingly far off (still high or low) for a very rare few people. That's just how statistical estimates work.

That would be true, even if logging is perfect, and the exercise one does is in the realms where the devices can be reasonably accurate.

If I only ate the calories my good brand/model fitness tracker says I burn, I'd be in the hospital in a few months, severely underweight and faltering. It thinks I burn *hundreds* of calories fewer than my logging & scale-weight results suggest, based on 6+ years of careful logging.

That doesn't mean "trackers overestimate" (in contraposition to your "they underestimate"). It doesn't even mean "trackers are inherently inaccurate". Mostly, it means I'm not statistically average . . . again, assuming my logging is spot-on, and I'm compliant with proper calorie goals, which I do my best to be.

I was speaking about my own personal experience, which leads me to believe they overestimated. I should have added ‘my burn’ to the end of that. I wasn’t suggesting it’s the same for everyone. I was just sharing my experience and what I’ve found works for me.
  • heybales
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

I wasn’t suggesting your post was wrong, simply sharing my own experience. That’s why I said I don’t know about all the science. Perhaps I should have just said, be aware it may not in some circumstances be accurate.

I didn't think you were commenting on my post at all actually so no worries - I thought you had missed it.

Because you said you don't know about the science - and I explained some of that in the post if you care to learn.
    But without knowing the science - you claimed they overestimate.

Just wanted to share the fact as Ann did it can go both ways, and there are known reasons why.
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    @heybales I thought I’d explained that I meant they overestimated my burn. That’s why I replied to both of you.
  • heybales
    Options
    @heybales I thought I’d explained that I meant they overestimated my burn. That’s why I replied to both of you.

Yes I got that. I replied for another reason.