Women 20s/30s/40s support group

Options

Replies

• jjelte
    jjelte Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    35y/o here! I was a bit shy of 200 lbs 8.5 years ago when I got married and after 4 kids, 4 miscarriages and lots of crazy unexpected life happenings I'm now 260lbs. I'm ready for change! Why now? Because I finally really like myself and know I'm worth it! I'd love friends who are along for the ride!

I'm working on lowering my carbs, increasing heathy protein (preferably plant protein, anyone have a favorite?), and I'd really like to meet the minimum moment requirements for maintaining health (150 min of moderate movement, 75 minutes vigorous exercise, and 2 strength trainings a week).

Let's support each other, you lovely ladies!
  • whitfcan
    whitfcan Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi! Please add me as I would love to be able to check-in with like- minded individuals on the same journey as me😊
  • amioc
    amioc Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    yoli71997 wrote: »
    Love this chat already! I’m 24 and 6 months away from my wedding. I have been focusing on eating better abs exercising at home but since I didn’t see much change I finally got a gym membership. I’m up for the challenge but will take any tips 😊

My advice would be to lift heavy weights meaning what is heavy for you. If you get on well and enjoy it then week by week go a little heavier or do more reps or sets. Also eat plenty of protein!!
  • Dory1012
    Dory1012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, Dory here, am I the only one that gets overwhelmed by the concept of calculating macros? The calorical math, I can do for sure; however I know not all calories are created equal. 😑
  • Dory1012
    Dory1012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Goals this week, I wanna make sure I get a tough work out in for 5 days consistently. I notice my performance and focus at work is so much stronger after a great fitness session and I am not sad as much.....anymore
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Hi folks, I'm brisingr. I've been struggling with consistency lately, especially on weekends. I generally make steady progress if I log everything and stay under on my calories. I'd like to get better on workouts but struggle finding the time. Would love to support others on their journeys.

Stats:
    Height: 5'5"
    SW (this time): 192 (15 June 2021)
    CW: 175.4
    GW: 140
  • MrsHermit
    MrsHermit Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I just joined MFP. I need help with my nutrition as my progress in exercise isn't winning the battle in getting my body to slide down the scale. I'm 35 and about 260 lbs; 5'6" (borderline morbidly obese).
    I decided to imitate an online program starting with week 1 calorie deficit.
    I exercised 5 days this week, good sweat for 2 of those days.
  • INTJmom
    INTJmom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I’m 40 (for 5 more days). I gained the Covid 19 and I’m looking to take that off plus about 13 more pounds of vanity weight. I’m doing a lowish carb diet (not keto though, keeping carb percentage to below 25%) and exercising.
  • CurvyEmmy
    CurvyEmmy Posts: 225 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Everyone please give me encouragement and support!! I’m 5’5” and a bit over 250 pounds. I put on almost 100 pounds since the pandemic. My body has changed so much. I am trying to make small changes to what I eat, but it’s a struggle dealing with all my cravings! I also am not really in shape to exercise. I have never been a very active girl and most workouts are just too challenging for me….

Please friend request me and give me lots of help for losing my weight!

I made a thread about my weight here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10839023/getting-back-in-shape-after-80-pound-pandemic-weight-gain-please-help/p1

That thread was in July and I feel really ashamed that I haven’t made any progress since then. :( I really need to feel a lot of encouragement and support please!!
  • eggsandcoconutoil
    Options
    Hello
    I'm Cathy (27)
    I'm new here and I'm interested in entering the group
  • pinkcamo319
    pinkcamo319 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    CurvyEmmy

We are all in this together. I’m fairly active but not active enough. My problem is consistent calorie logging.

I’ll lose weight one week and the following week I generally gain that back plus a pound or two. It’s nothing but a vicious cycle for me.

As far as exercising, start small. Just walk. Even 5 minutes at a time and then slowly increase your time.

I’ll send you a friend request
  • CurvyEmmy
    CurvyEmmy Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    CurvyEmmy

We are all in this together. I’m fairly active but not active enough. My problem is consistent calorie logging.

I’ll lose weight one week and the following week I generally gain that back plus a pound or two. It’s nothing but a vicious cycle for me.

As far as exercising, start small. Just walk. Even 5 minutes at a time and then slowly increase your time.

I’ll send you a friend request

Thank you!!

I sit all day at work so I’m not used to walking much. I do get a few minutes of walking between my car and my desk although I take the elevator to make it easier. A friend told me to take the stairs but I got really out of breath and dizzy when I tried and had to stop halfway to catch my breath so I’m not really ready for that yet.

I am pretty out of shape :( so walking is not very enjoyable. I’m too tired after work to do any exercise. Even though I just sit on my butt all day, it’s exhausting!! Im tired all the time so it’s hard to get up and move. :(

I got myself a bunch of athletic clothes to try to motivate myself and I wear them on weekends and sometimes walk around the house a bit but honestly I mostly just lounge in them because they’re so soft and comfy!
  • MrsHermit
    edited November 2021
    Options

@CurvyEmmy I follow some exercise videos set to music (not just walking, light aerobics low impact) that uses songs to workout to. [Gina B's Up To The Beat Fitness; free on youtube] Sometimes when I don't feel motivated, I'll just tell myself to do just 5 minutes = 1 song, and then try for a little more. Maybe take your favorite song and make it something to look forward to after work, just one song and dance around to it a bit. : )

I know I feel better when I just do a little each day, even if the fatigue doesn't stop.

• brisingr86
    Options

@CurvyEmmy I definitely feel you on being exhausted at the end of the day even just working a desk job. You have to decide what you need and what you want. You can lose weight just eating at a calorie deficit, but it definitely takes time to get used to the deficit if you've just been eating whatever for a while (and it can be a hard pill to swallow as you log and realize how many calories you may have been consuming). Most days, staying within calories is all I can manage too even though I'd like to get more physical activity in because I know it will be overall better for my wellness and improve appearance. I think others have made good suggestions with starting small and I think applies to anything. Taking the stairs is a great way to start increasing physical activity. If you can't go the whole way, can you do one floor and then take the elevator the rest of the way? Do that until you aren't dizzy or REALLY out of breath and then add another floor. Walk in place during commercials if you're watching tv in the evening. If cardiovascular work isn't for you, start working on strength. Do 5 squats every commercial break. Increase gradually if they're feeling easy. Get a set of light dumbbells and lift them different ways to work different muscles in your arms, shoulders, and chest. Do pushups against the wall. You need to figure out what you want to achieve and what you're willing to do to get there (make it sustainable). You can do this.

@pinkcamo319 I know what you mean on the cycle. I would do great during the week and then go off the rails every weekend and gain back any weight lost during the week. I've tried cutting my calories more during the week so I have more for the weekend while still staying at an overall deficit. Seems like it might be helping, but still early to really tell if I can stick to it.

Hi Cathy (@eggsandcoconutoil). I think you're in the group. Tell us about yourself, your goals and your struggles.

@INTJmom , how's it going? What are the things you're doing that are helping you progress towards losing those ~30lbs (19+13?)? What are the things you're struggling with that we can possibly offer support to get through?

@MrsHermit How has the online program been going? It's been a few weeks now. Are you seeing some progress or still waiting for the changes to happen?

• MrsHermit
    edited November 2021
    Options

@brisingr86 I honestly had forgotten about the online program as I'd been so focused on my diet and exercise. Turns out, though, that I'd been working on all the core elements of the program during that time anyways: calorie deficit, learn about different nutrients in food and things to watch out for, bad habits and how to break them (triggers for bad eating), and meal prep.

I'm still working on staying in the "green" each day, getting better bit by bit. DH says he notices a difference but since he's said that before when I was gaining, I don't believe him. He is trying to be nice though which is great to have encouragement. I do miss dairy and baked goods but just can't eat it and have such a calorie deficit; has to be a huge sweat session and even then tiny amount. So I'm eating a lot less of both. I'm working on my trigger habits and trying to replace them with constructive things. Sundays are slowly turning into meal prep days, which will help. I do a lot of prep in the kitchen to save money (less prepared foods = saved money but more labor). I just learned how to make vegetarian sausage yesterday, and I look forward to experimenting with the recipe to use even less expensive ingredients. Even DH is on board with a goal of learning how to make non-dairy cheese (less fattening). I need to learn how to make low-cal snacks not just for me but especially for my snack-loving grazing DH.

• INTJmom
    Options

Things are going well so far. As of 11/11 I’m already down 5.4 pounds. I know a lot of that is water weight since I cut out so many carbs. I’m working out using a streaming service and also waking on my treadmill. I’m slowly finding low carb/high protein and healthy fat foods that I really enjoy eating. Right now my biggest struggle is that I’m PMSing and craving Skittles. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Also, I forgot to mention in my previous post that I’m 5’0” and my goal is around 107 (that’s 1.52 meters and about 48.5 kg/ 7st 9ish for anyone across the pond).

• brisingr86
    Options

@INTJmom , what are your go to's for the high protein? I'm always trying to up my protein, but it seems when I do, I end up super high on fat too!

Looking forward to the weekend, but also dreading it because I have such a hard time not grazing and those bites add up fast. I'm also still recovering from a cold, which my toddler now has too and my husband works all day tomorrow so I'm on my own. Think I'm going to try making a pot of chicken soup...

How are others feeling headed into the weekend? Are weekends easier (more time to workout?) or more challenging (other grazers like me? or just tendencies for the high cal/less nutritious foods)?

• INTJmom
    edited November 2021
    Options
    brisingr86 wrote: »
    @INTJmom , what are your go to's for the high protein? I'm always trying to up my protein, but it seems when I do, I end up super high on fat too!
    Looking forward to the weekend, but also dreading it because I have such a hard time not grazing and those bites add up fast. I'm also still recovering from a cold, which my toddler now has too and my husband works all day tomorrow so I'm on my own. Think I'm going to try making a pot of chicken soup...
    How are others feeling headed into the weekend? Are weekends easier (more time to workout?) or more challenging (other grazers like me? or just tendencies for the high cal/less nutritious foods)?

Lean chicken, lean pork (tenderloin with the fat cut off), eggs, lean cuts of beef. My diet has a decent amount of fat in it, but I try to get most of that from heart-healthier sources like olive oil, avocado, etc. I take in a lot more protein and fat than I do carbs. It keeps me more full and I’m actually losing weight. After I had my son six years ago, it’s suddenly became much harder for me to lose weight (even on a 1200 cal per day diet). I had gestational diabetes with him, which runs in my family. Given the fact that my body is responding so well (at least, so far) to a low carb/high protein and fat diet, I’m kind of wondering if my blood sugar issues never completely went away. Regardless though, my weight is going down, and my energy has gone up (even on less food).

Edited to add: I also generally drink a protein shake every day.
  • MrsHermit
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Official weigh day: 252.4 lbs, down 0.4 lbs from two weeks ago. I suspect I gained last week but the scale was malfunctioning last week.

I track my exercise, health tidbits, and calorie (red or green) on a paper chart, which helped me learn this:
    Exercising in the evenings after eating has less impact than exercising in the mornings before eating, regardless of same caloric intake. That's at least true for me. [It is not as easy for me to exercise in the morning because of building noise restrictions and DH's work hours, but things are about to change yet again for us so we'll see]

I'm vegetarian (and my DH is too). We get our protein from mixing grains and beans. My challenge is preparing it all first, takes more prep (I make our own, don't buy it premade - cheaper, healthier). Actually the real challenge for me is eating it. I had the bad habit (I learned it's bad) of wanting bread-type things and dairy for first meal of the day - toast, cream of wheat, etc. Because of bad experiences as a child, I naturally avoid savory foods as my first meal. DH has no problem with savory, spicy, oily - loves it (I think he eats so much pepper it's his stay-healthy secret because it burns fat! joke). I'm slowly accepting that not only is dairy shockingly fattening (I knew it was, but not as high as it is), but that it specifically doesn't get used well by my body (if you were denied dairy in childhood I guess it affects you now). Less dairy = less "fat" looking, if that makes sense, and less weight struggle. I'm not intolerant, just ..it's not a fuel as much for me. Just enough to enjoy and take in my calcium. Enjoy the flavor! Slow down my eating and enjoy the flavor!

@brisingr86 This weekend is already a challenge because of a pending big change for us. (losing job, have to move, yet another routine change when I started to make progress!). I'm still focused on making good choices and keeping my hands busy when stressed.

How are y'all doing?

• roz0810
    roz0810 Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies. Hope you all had a lovely Christmas. I'm back after some time off. Gained some whilst I was away but having a good start. Happy New year to all!