Ladies w/ long hair: how do u manage w/ ur exercise?

Options

Replies

• deanconnors3
    deanconnors3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Not a lady, but mine was down to my lower back until three weeks ago. Washed it after every workout, five to six times a week, and always let it air dry. Would get the occassional dirty look as I was heading back to the desk with a wet head, but then again most guys in government offices with hair down their back get dirty looks anyways.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I was my hair every day. Sometimes twice a day. It's perfectly healthy.

Anyway, my only advice is wash your hair when it gets sweaty. Why does it take you 30 minutes to wash? What are you doing to it??? I've had hair to my waist and it didn't take more than five or 10 minutes to wash and rinse twice and condition.

Also, I air dry mine, but it's curly so that makes a difference.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    My hair is about 2 inches from my butt, I wash it everyday and don't dry it, I let it air dry. I work out at night usually, hit my hot tub then maybe have a shower and I never have any issues with it. I know people say you shouldn't wash your hair everyday but mine gets greasy and that's just gross, so I wash it everyday.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Like others, I'll either braid mine, or I'll trow it up into a bun to keep it off of my neck and sweat. I leave it up while I shower and only take it down after I've dried off. It works well for me.
  • daltem
    daltem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Wash and pull up wet ( in a bun)....yeah yeah...I know ugly but oh well!
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    When my hair was longer... I cut it because it had ridiculous dead ends from wearing it in an elastic from working out...

I learned best way to avoid all the crap damage is to braid it. I put mine up in a scrunchy (yeah a *****n scruncy) when I workout or a french braid for less damage. After - I threw it u in a ponytail/clip/braid. I washed it every 2 days. Now I still do the same thing, it's in a clip right now and I did HIIT and bootcamp today :bigsmile:

You an also try dry shampoo
  • xombiebite
    xombiebite Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    for exercise wise i just bend forward pull all my hair to the front of my head and put it in a messy bun literally on top of my head i find it doesnt get as sweaty.

wash wise i usually wash it when it really needs it as like you it takes a lot to wash and dry my hair but lately i just wash it and let it air dry.

as for everyday my hair is usually up anyway it drives me crazy i should cut it but i hate when its too short and when you put it up majority of it falls down.:grumble:
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    I wash mine daily and let it air dry... but I also have naturally wavy/curly hair...
  • tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I just chopped it off this time but usually just a bun worked for me.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    When I exercise, I either wear mine in a braided ponytail or a messy bun on top of my head. I prefer the bun because the brain tends to swing around and annoy me after too long. My hair is about halfway down my back.

I usually work out in the evenings, so I usually shower at night. After I comb it and towel dry it really well, I put it up into another bun while it is still fairly wet and sleep on it. Since I have naturally wavy/curly hair, it makes it very easy to style in the morning because it is still slightly damp, but not damp enough that I need to dry it any further. All I do is fluff and spray until I'm satisfied, which usually only takes about 5 minutes. :smile:

I tell my friends that my long hair is much easier to take care of than short hair. I always had to spend more time styling my short hair and I was never happy with it. Anyway, that is what I usually do. If I happen to wash it in the morning, I will just blow dry it out straight. The waves pull out pretty easily if I run a large brush through it while drying, and apply some smoothing gel beforehand.

I hope this helps. :smile:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My advice:

gi-jane.jpg
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    My hair is past hip-length (aka the length where i have to physically hold it up when i pee otherwise it gets in my buttcrack LOL). What i do is wash it three times a week.

I work out on Monday- Wednesday- Friday and i wash it right after the gym. So, i don't wash my hair sat & sun, tuesday, thursday.

I never have a problem with it getting greasy, if anything it gets really dry especially towards the ends.

I don't blow dry or style my hair with heat, i take fish oil, and i've added about 2 tablespoons jojoba oil to my shampoo/conditioner. I will put coconut oil on my tips when needed.

My hair is a big pain in the *kitten* to manage just because of the length but it's very thin "baby fine" hair.

Oh yeah, a trick i learned as well is to put your hairties (i get the black ones without the metal band) and soak them in coconut or olive oil. This pretty much fixed the breakage problem where my hair is put up in a pony. ;)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I wash mine and don't dry it.. it saves time

^^This. I turn the vents in my car on and blow it as much as possible on my way to work.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with washing your hair everyday? I do that, blow dry most of the time, and nothing else and yet I'm still told I have beautiful thick and healthy hair when I get it cut (2x a year).
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    My hair is just past my chin now, but it was way past my shoulders. I have to wash it every time I workout (sometimes twice a day) or it is a complete and total greasy mess. I make sure I use hydrating shampoo and conditioner that is sulfate free. I blow it dry in the AM before work and on the weekends I usually just leave it down and let it air dry.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    My hair is long, thick, and gets tangled easily. I usually wash it every other day or 3 days, I wash it at night, detangle the crap out of it with a GOODY detangler brush and a wide tooth comb I put some argon oil and braid it in a loose twist over night. In the morning its mostly dry if not I blow dry it a bit.
    For working out I like it in a tight bun so when I run it does not bother me.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I've got long hair to my bum. I put it into a French plait or twist it up into a French pleat with clips. I wash it twice a week, workout five times a week and never blow dry. I only straighten my hair for special occasions now. All good :-)
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Dry shampoo after work-outs, and I French braid my bangs back because they get the greasiest. I wash my hair every-other-day, but my bangs always look greasy when not washed every day, so they have to be put away on those days.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    sometimes i will wash my bangs and the area around my face only in the sink if i'm in a super big hurry. mostly i just wash it after dinner and let it air dry before bed. then a quick once over with a blow dryer if its still damp.