Ladies w/ long hair: how do u manage w/ ur exercise?

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It's awful. Mine was really long, and reeeeeeally thick. I cut it because it would get notted up if I worked out.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Waist-length, thin, 3c curly hair here. I tie mine up in a tight bun with just an elastic at the crown of my head, then wrap a bandana around my hairline to absorb a lot of the sweat and keep down the baby hairs around my face. When I'm done I heavily wet my hands and run it through my hair to reactivate the curls, then use Suave's regular dry shampoo (not the keratin kind, it smells like formaldehyde) to help with the smell. It smells like pineapples!
    What's wrong with washing your hair everyday? I do that, blow dry most of the time, and nothing else and yet I'm still told I have beautiful thick and healthy hair when I get it cut (2x a year).
    For a lot of us it just takes too long to dry, or daily washings make the hair dry because it strips the natural oils. Daily washing damages my curly hair even with an oily scalp.
  • zombiesalad
    zombiesalad Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I use a bun sort of on top of my head held with a hair stick when I'm working out. It holds extremely well if your hair is long enough, bra strap and beyond depending on thickness.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I have long (about to my butt) naturally wavy hair. I wash it twice a week (I have a really dry scalp). I straighten it once it's washed and it stays mostly straight until I wash again.
    When I workout I clip my bangs back and the rest is in a twisted bun. A messy bun messes with my straightening, as do braids. Once done at the gym, I'll shoot my roots with a blow dryer on the COOL setting to dry up any sweat. Make sure it's the cool setting or you'll get a lot of damage from doing it so often. After that I'll touch up any spots that need a little straightening. I use a texturizing powder and back comb my roots a little for some volume and I'm good to go!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    My advice:

gi-jane.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hair tie into pony is my solution.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I was my hair every day. Sometimes twice a day. It's perfectly healthy.

Sounds like a personal identity disorder...You should have that evaluated :wink:

To the OP...An extra 1 1/2 hours to wash your hair feels like an overly inflated #. Please wash your hair after working out.
  • baba5013
    Options
    I workout 5-6 times at 5am and I have a long commute to work by public trasportation. So, am always on the clock.
    My hair is passed my bra line. I tie it in a pony tail and bundle it all up. And I let my hair air dry because it's healthy that way and save time. The benefit of having long hair is, that I don't need to style it.:smile:

I tried not to wash it everyday if it's not too sweaty.
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My hair is just a couple inches from my waist with layers around the front. I usually put it in a ponytail when I exercise but I should probably switch to a braid to be gentler. I wash and condition it about 2 times a week, it really only gets sweaty around the hairline and that gets rinsed when I shower. I could never wash it everyday, it is very thick and takes too long to dry even if I blow it out. I like to let it air dry and then use a fat curling iron on the layers. Since I color it I try to be as gentle as possible with it otherwise. Unless I'm exercising, working outside, or it's too hot I like to wear it long and loose. :smile:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    shave it bald
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lxo5s0EpuY1r1c49to1_500.gif
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I workout at night. I shower and wash my hair at night before bed. I go to sleep after washing it and comb it when I wake up. Sometimes I have bad hair days where it won't cooperate, but usually it manages just fine in the mornings.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    My hair is now bellow my butt and curly. I don't blow dry it anymore, first cause it's a killer for the hair and also because let's face it, I don't have 2 hours to waste on my hair lol

I wash them every 2-3 days, use coconut oil once a week to keep them healthy/shiny and I use corn starch to remove some of the extra oil (has the same effect as dry shampoo) I couldn't wash it every day, it takes forever! lol

They are braided most of the time, especially when I workout
  • indiawastaken
    indiawastaken Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    saving for later
  • luckyshilling
    Options
    Not a lady, but mine was down to my lower back until three weeks ago. Washed it after every workout, five to six times a week, and always let it air dry. Would get the occassional dirty look as I was heading back to the desk with a wet head, but then again most guys in government offices with hair down their back get dirty looks anyways.

^^I love this!!^^:bigsmile:
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I have medium length hair and I don't really care what my hair looks like before, during, and after a workout. I always wash my hair after I'm done working out and depending what the weather is like, I typically don't blow dry my hair.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Also lately I've been wearing a hat when I work out. Really does help trap all that sweat and my hair is not as bad when I wear a hat compared to when I don't wear a hat.
  • luckyshilling
    Options
    I wash mine and don't dry it.. it saves time

^^This. I turn the vents in my car on and blow it as much as possible on my way to work.

^That is my favorite thing about having wavy hair, when I am feeling really lazy I just but some glossing cream in my hair and turn my car into one giant diffuser on my way to where ever. :drinker:
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I've never used a hair dryer on my hair, and I wash/condition it daily. When I was in the Army, my hair was past my butt. I'd wash it after PT, comb it and put it in a braided bun. It only took me ten minutes...washing it only took 5.

Nowadays, I work in a kitchen, so my wet hair actually works to my advantage! The flyaways stay tucked under my toque!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Remember that sweat isn't grease-it's almost completely water. You don't need to wash your hair after a workout-just put it up when you take a shower and blow dry it so it's not sweaty.

I will often take a shower at night and leave it in a bun. In the morning, it's still wet enough that I can style it, but isn't so wet that it takes forever to blow dry. I usually blow dry it with a round brush. That way it drys and straightens the hair at the same time.

Not sure why washing it takes you an extra 30 min...
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Dry shampoo!