Calorie shocker!

Options

Replies

• Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I buy natural cheese sliced now, so I don't have to weigh it. Really helps with portion control. And I eat it s l o w l y....
  • Mantha18
    Mantha18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Not that I ever thought milk shakes were low calorie, but the most shocking thing I've discovered so far is that for a MINI (not even a small) peanut butter fudge shake, at Sonic, is 760 calories. I guess I knew they'd be high, but that really shocked me.

omg, that is outrageous! you can make them with skim milk and flavored yogurt at home pretty cheap and low in calories-- wasn't drinking many shakes anyway, but definitely not touching them now unless I make them at home

i ditched milkshakes entirely and moved to smoothies - NOT bought from shops or cafes though!
    fruit + skimmed milk = yummy
    1 or even 2 of your 5 a day and a fair portion of fibre as well. i tend to add soaked porridge oats to a banana and milk smoothie for a very filling breakfast on the go (i gotta leave for college at 7am so i can drink it while im stuck in all that lovely commuter traffic lol)
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    This is a good way to go about it. Just remember though...caloric density has nothing to do with nutrient density. Too many people on MFP and dieters in general cut out very nutritious and healthy foods because of calorie content...it's high calorie, so it must be "bad" mentality. Many foods that you most definitely should be eating because of their nutritional value are also very calorie dense. Conversely, many foods with very low calories have little to no nutritional value.

Also kepe in mind that you need fats...people get all freaked out when they see the fat number and go all low fat/no fat. Fat is an essential nutrient...you need it for heart health and overall organ function. Your brain is largely comprised of fat. Many nutrients are fat soluble, so you need to consume fats in order for your body to absorb these nutrients. Fat also regulates hormones and this is essential to being healthy and to weight loss.

Just seek balance in your diet (noun).

This. Things like avacados, almonds, cheese, peanut butter, olive oil, salmon. They are high in calories and you'll be tempted to cut them but you need to make room for them instead. You'll learn how soon enough and you'll be wondering how you ever found it so difficult to eat at a calorie deficit. These foods are so nutritious and important that you can't cut them just because they take a chunk out of your calories.
  • Lovelovesme
    Lovelovesme Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had a similar reaction to you, not so much with calories, but with sugar. I was shocked at just how much was in my diet compared to what W.H.O recommends, it's just everywhere.
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I was amazed at the sugar in bananas and used to eat 2 a day. I am diabetic. I have given them up . Most fruit are high ,but I keep telling myself natural sugar is not as bad. I always go over !!

Type 1 diabetic here, I too have had to give up bananas. I do have some berries with my breakfasts, they are pretty low carb (most melons are ok too in limited servings). Sugar recommendation on MFP is too low, I don't even track it anymore. Just track total carbs and fiber so I know how much insulin to take with meals.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    That's the first step in weight loss. I was shocked and still get shocked today. It really makes you improve what you eat.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Clemintines/madarin oranges!

I would bring like 5 or 6 cuties thinking i was eating a healthy snack... LOL 400 calories worth of little tiny oranges.

Oh, and almonds. I can eat like 800 cals without even realizing it!
  • truly_blessed90
    Options
    I eat a lot of scrambled eggs - plain with no salt or cheese added. It's really not that much compared to other things you can make for breakfast. It is high in cholesterol, however.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    This is a good way to go about it. Just remember though...caloric density has nothing to do with nutrient density. Too many people on MFP and dieters in general cut out very nutritious and healthy foods because of calorie content...it's high calorie, so it must be "bad" mentality. Many foods that you most definitely should be eating because of their nutritional value are also very calorie dense. Conversely, many foods with very low calories have little to no nutritional value.

Also kepe in mind that you need fats...people get all freaked out when they see the fat number and go all low fat/no fat. Fat is an essential nutrient...you need it for heart health and overall organ function. Your brain is largely comprised of fat. Many nutrients are fat soluble, so you need to consume fats in order for your body to absorb these nutrients. Fat also regulates hormones and this is essential to being healthy and to weight loss.

Just seek balance in your diet (noun).

Agreed.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I had a heart attack the first time I plugged in Chick-fil-a's polynesian sauce....100 calories per container. I would eat FOUR of them between the chicken and the FF's. The honey mustard is not quite as good in my opinion, but I'll deal with it. The syrup at IHOP caused the same reaction....
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I'm in on the Orange Juice!
  • BostonStrong617
    Options
    Quiznos Veggie Sub has more calorie than a Big Mac.

Seriously and not just like a few more, like over 100 more for the "regular size" which I think is 8 inches (thats what she said) seriously tho it's crazy! Even without cheese it has just as many calories as a big mac!

As far as I know all the Quiznos in Boston have closed but I used to love those subs, but maybe it's a good thing lol they weren't all that filling
  • jaysayres
    Options
    Try the naked joey at Moes. It's all beans, vegies, and tofu. without cheese, it's under 600 calories.
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    well for almost a decade now, i always look for nutrition labels of a food (the new ones imean) before i put in my mouth. and Yes, sometimes i am still shock at how many cal/sugars/fat/salt there are in foods. Even the ones i thought healthy.

Some patient at work (hospital) bought me a food gift (i guess he was pleased with my services!!!) from the coffee shop. I was going to eat it (muffin and orange juice 500mL) then i stopped and looked at the labels. I was shocked too. 300 cal for 500mL of orange juice, are you kidding? Muffin i knew it was a lot 400-500cal? so i did not eat it then.

I did not throw them in garbage bin. Nope. Ikept them until i would need them.
    I cut the muffin in quarters then freeze it and eat it in small portion the following days.
    The orange juice i did drinked before and after a running workout.

Usually when there way too much calories (etc.) i just choose not to eat it.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    My shockers were mostly starchy carbs, because they just don't fill me up no matter how many calories worth I eat. Cereal (even whole grain), bagels, tortilla chips, and most breads are the biggest offenders. I only eat them when I have a big calorie gap at the end of the day, or I pay the price in hunger later.
  • JakiDee
    JakiDee Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's never the calorie count that shocks me. It's the sodium.

Agreed!
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    i forgot. Subway:1 cookie White Chocolate Macadamia 220 cal/11g gras/29g glucides. and they always come by 2.
    woah. if you eat only these 2 cookie. you have a "meal"! total shocker.

when at home i realized that. i had to worout really hard to get rid of thosecal. not so worth it, anymore!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    How about pieces of bread that feels like eating air but has 100 cals per slice..
  • HelenTheZ
    HelenTheZ Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi - all I can say is, from my experience as a junk food junkie, just make slow changes! I felt a big shock and sense of deprivation when I first learned to eat foods that would nourish my body more successfully. I tried and failed so many times, because I am an emotional eater, and I would literally feel "grief" at having to give up all those great foods I missed so much.

Slowly, SLOWLY I came to like more kinds of foods ... and I'm here now because I kept up with the junk, but this time, having done a TON of work on the emotional aspects of eating, I feel more optimistic.

So, what works for me is making SLOW changes and being as kind to myself as I can be.
  • cbattles516
    cbattles516 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yup, calories are a shocker. Same with portion sizes. Start weighing your food to see how much you really eat :) But i'll tell you what was a lifesaver for me when I found it (being a pizza lover). America Flatbread frozen pizza. I had been eating them before, and some have quite a few calories, but if you can eat a whole pizza in one sitting without flinching, check out

http://www.americanflatbreadproducts.com/tomato-sauce-three-cheese/

600 calories for a whole 12" pie that is crispy and delicious. Split it with a SO with a salad on the side and all cravings are satisfied for a little while for maybe 400 calories. For me it's the little finds like this that happen through reading labels at the grocery store wondering how bad everything really is for you.

OK, a little high in sodium, but it is a pizza after all. :)