Calorie shocker!

Options

Replies

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the additional info with regards to not all high cal food being bad for you, it's quite reassuring, although I think I'm still going to have to cut out most of my favourite foods as I am a bit of a junk food addict. I'm not going to overly stress about it as I'm at a good steady weight right now so I can cut down on my intake and make changes quite gradually which will make it easier - plus I think I'll be more likely to stick with it rather than if I went on an all out major ban of all the foods I love in one go.

^^ This is a very good plan. I try to make room for a few indulgences. Today I had home made cookies AND frozen pizza … I haven't finished logging so I may be a bit over calories (I'm still finishing dinner as I type, lol) but not massively. But I also had cantaloupe, Greek Yogurt, and other good foods, and yesterday was a salad day (I LOVE spinach with fruit and grilled chicken!!). Overall, I could probably use a few more vegetables, but it's not bad.

My point is, cut things out gradually like you said, and allow yourself treats from time to time. :wink:
  • THEGYMWIMP
    THEGYMWIMP Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hi my biggest one is sugar in healthy foods; greek yogurt -even the lowest is still around 10g which is just under half your well my, daily intake. and if youre not paying attention it can between 15 and 25g per serving for the fruity ones. add a small apple or pear and that's you for the day.. shocking. So now if I want a sweet fix and don't stretch for a snickers bar, I eat the yogurt off the top and toss the jammy stuff at the bottom. but still. if I want sugar - chocolates the way. good luck with the new eating habits... some of its a real easy switch, some not so much. congrats too on the lbs lost - that's 7000 calories you didn't eat - NICE!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Well, I just joined today and entered what I was planning to eat/drink. I was shocked to learn I couldn't have even one coke or it would put me over my allotted sugars for the day. Super sad day in the life of a coke addict.

I feel your pain. I am another coke addict - I knew I was going to have to cut that out completely, but figured I'd replace it with orange juice as I quite like it - put my first orange juice drink in and it's pretty much the same as coke! I know that orange juice is loads better for you than coke though despite the high calories but still thinking it's going to end up being just water from now on until I figure out my proper eating plan.

Unless you have a medical reason to avoid sugar there's no real reason to track it. Sugar is a carb, which is already tracked. Besides, the number is ridiculously low. Have a couple pieces of fruit and you can go over.
  • Xalanii
    Xalanii Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Started today on this one but started last week on another counter...anyway i love this one...But back to the question..yes tim hortons extra large coffee 4x4 which is four creams and four sugars and sometimes i add more sugar which brought it up to a whopping 600 to760 calories..i have been drinking three to four of these a day for two years ..No wonder i gained weight....

So guess what is no longer on my menu..? lol

did you grow up and learn to actually enjoy the taste of coffee?

When I was a teenager and worked there I despised people like that, then complained that the coffee was cold, wanted to ask if they would prefer a milkshake.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I know it seems daunting and overwhelming to see the number of calories you are eating in your food, but it does not mean that you have to give up all of your favorite things. It's all about moderation. Eat less. I have learned to weigh and measure everything and while it does seem that some portions are small compared to what you were used to eating- that is the problem. We don't truly understand the size of a proper portion. Cereal, for example, is typically 2/3-1cup depending on the cereal. Add 1/2 cup of milk or soy milk or whatever. I find that I can eat bran flake- 90 calories per cup + 1/2 cup milk= 45 calories (for skim), I usually add 1/2 cup of blueberries or strawberries at about 45 calories and then greek yogurt(on the side- not in the cereal) (either Dannon light and fit at 80 calories or Chobani bites at 100 calories)- it's a great breakfast and only between 260-280 calories. You just need to think smart about how much you are eating. That doesn't mean you should fill your day with tons of junk food, but it's ok to have a little bit now and then. Plan it in to your eating for the day, and don't be afraid to try new things. I have found that I really enjoy lettuce wraps in place of my bread at lunch.
    Eat well!
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I know it seems daunting and overwhelming to see the number of calories you are eating in your food, but it does not mean that you have to give up all of your favorite things. It's all about moderation. Eat less. I have learned to weigh and measure everything and while it does seem that some portions are small compared to what you were used to eating- that is the problem. We don't truly understand the size of a proper portion. Cereal, for example, is typically 2/3-1cup depending on the cereal. Add 1/2 cup of milk or soy milk or whatever. I find that I can eat bran flake- 90 calories per cup + 1/2 cup milk= 45 calories (for skim), I usually add 1/2 cup of blueberries or strawberries at about 45 calories and then greek yogurt(on the side- not in the cereal) (either Dannon light and fit at 80 calories or Chobani bites at 100 calories)- it's a great breakfast and only between 260-280 calories. You just need to think smart about how much you are eating. That doesn't mean you should fill your day with tons of junk food, but it's ok to have a little bit now and then. Plan it in to your eating for the day, and don't be afraid to try new things. I have found that I really enjoy lettuce wraps in place of my bread at lunch.
    Eat well!
    I started using 30 calorie almond milk for my cereal and also using it to make my own lattes with sugar free syrup. I could not give up my lattes!!!
  • k8kurczok
    Options
    This is a good way to go about it. Just remember though...caloric density has nothing to do with nutrient density. Too many people on MFP and dieters in general cut out very nutritious and healthy foods because of calorie content...it's high calorie, so it must be "bad" mentality. Many foods that you most definitely should be eating because of their nutritional value are also very calorie dense. Conversely, many foods with very low calories have little to no nutritional value.

Also kepe in mind that you need fats...people get all freaked out when they see the fat number and go all low fat/no fat. Fat is an essential nutrient...you need it for heart health and overall organ function. Your brain is largely comprised of fat. Many nutrients are fat soluble, so you need to consume fats in order for your body to absorb these nutrients. Fat also regulates hormones and this is essential to being healthy and to weight loss.

Just seek balance in your diet (noun).

Fantastic points! You need fats and nutrient dense foods to keep you feeling satisfied, otherwise, you'll just feel hungry all the time even though you eat heaps! :-)
  • twistedbutterfly
    twistedbutterfly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. Now that I'm paying attention to how many calories are in things, I'm often shocked by just how bad some of the things I've eaten are for me. I mean, I always knew that going out to eat at a place like The Cheesecake Factory was unhealthy. I just had no idea that I was eating over 4,000 calories (enough to gain at least a pound) in one meal.
  • thesifter
    thesifter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Carl's Jr - Double Western Bacon Cheeseburger 1000 Calories for 1 burger! yeehaa! There are others even higher.
  • jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Not that I ever thought milk shakes were low calorie, but the most shocking thing I've discovered so far is that for a MINI (not even a small) peanut butter fudge shake, at Sonic, is 760 calories. I guess I knew they'd be high, but that really shocked me.

I was shocked to find that McDonald's small chocolate shake was 550 calories. I thought it was soft serve low fat ice milk with a little chocolate.
  • nutritionstudent12
    Options
    All nuts and dried fruits! SO many calories.
    i also was eating dates by the handful and they're 60 cals each. I could eat 6+ easily as a snack, and then some almonds to even out the sweetness
    Not anymore! Portion control now
  • ifyouknew
    ifyouknew Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yup. Juice, nuts, cheese, sugary yogurts, 'healthy' cereals like granola... I didn't join MFP planning to lose weight, but once I was aware of all the high-calorie foods I ate, I stopped eating many of them, and I have lost weight in spite of myself. Just the awareness is a very powerful thing.
  • aallen615
    aallen615 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely right! I LOVE orange Juice, and DO drink it, despite it's 100 calories per 8oz, ....because I have Ulcerative Colitis with no colon, and can't not digest the actual fruit. Orange Juice, contains NOT only those calories, but Vitamin D (small amount) Protein, Calcium, and zinc. :) BECAUSE of the NEAT you mentioned....i sometimes don't even enter my two glasses of orange juice per day. :)
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Orange juice. All the way! I was totally shocked. Even eggs I was shocked, jsut becuase I thought they were less calories. Cheese too.

80 cals for an egg (poached or boiled) and 44 cals for 100ml of orange juice is not a lot out of a 1200 per day allowance. Some fruit is surprising high though.
  • Socalgal13
    Options
    All things in moderation is what I have learned. Eating 2 bags of low cal popcorn is just as bad as eating a couple cups of buttery popcorn, Regardless of the good for you bad for you...moderation
  • divajoni
    divajoni Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    "This is a good way to go about it. Just remember though...caloric density has nothing to do with nutrient density. Too many people on MFP and dieters in general cut out very nutritious and healthy foods because of calorie content...it's high calorie, so it must be "bad" mentality. Many foods that you most definitely should be eating because of their nutritional value are also very calorie dense. Conversely, many foods with very low calories have little to no nutritional value.

Also kepe in mind that you need fats...people get all freaked out when they see the fat number and go all low fat/no fat. Fat is an essential nutrient...you need it for heart health and overall organ function. Your brain is largely comprised of fat. Many nutrients are fat soluble, so you need to consume fats in order for your body to absorb these nutrients. Fat also regulates hormones and this is essential to being healthy and to weight loss.

Just seek balance in your diet (noun)."

this is very, VERY good advice.... be aware of calories, but don't choose solely based on calorie count. Start learning about your macronutrients. Earlier in this thread, there was discussion about how "bad" cheese is... first of all, food is not a moral choice, so there is no good or bad.

The question to ask is this healthy (or not) choice. With this in mind, 1 oz of pretzels may only have 100 cals (I am guessing here) and 1 oz of cheese may have 200... hands down the cheese is the more healthful choice as it offers calcium, protein, and a bit of healthy fat (as long as we aren't talking about KRAFT cheese here) which will keep you more satiated in the long run.

Pretzels not only have very little nutrient value, but they will raise your blood sugar as quickly as sugar with an inevitable crash... leaving you craving more... terrible vicious cycle.

Learn about healthy fats... they are your BEST friend!! :)
  • nino07110922
    nino07110922 Posts: 2,149
    Options
    I didn't have any illusions that Spam was low in calories. But I was truly blown away to find how just how many calories are in that yummy afternoon snack. On a Saturday afternoon of lounging, I'd love to take a can of Spam and slice it thin, then cook it on the skillet until it was just dark brown. Watching tv while snacking on that is the best. I hadn't done that in a while, and went to do it this weekend. I looked at the can and absolutely lost it. Six servings per can 2 180 cal/serving.

That's 1080 CALORIES PER CAN!!!! Never again.
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    For me it was all of the grains. I HATE being hungry, so I look for items that have lots of bulk to fill me up. Breads, rice, other grains...it was a large amount of my calories, but a very small portion of the bulk that I could eat. I opt for other things like lots of vegetables.

Fat I do like. While it is calorie dense, it does make me feel full. The grains just leave me hungry, sometimes with the shakes after a few hours. A pat of butter will get me through better than a slice of bread.
  • drmcglone
    drmcglone Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My french vanilla coffee creamer. I was just pouring it, into my morning coffee. After two cups, and one day I really measured what I was putting in. It was about 600 calories!!! And that was just my coffee. Needless to say I now have one cup and only measure out 4 servings...which is about 75 calories. It is what I allow myself!!! Rather eat my calories not drink them!
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    On the opposite end, I was shocked to find some ice cream sandwiches that only had 150 calories, and only 2g of fat (Skinny Cow). Yay for midnight ice cream! :bigsmile: