By maintaining weight what is the desired outcome?

Options
Is maintaining weight good for shredding or ?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,145 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean, exactly.

You can add muscle while maintaining weight, potentially, with a good progressive strength program and good overall nutrition (especially but not exclusively adequate protein). That's recomposition, yeah? It's a slow process, typically.

Bulk/cut cycles can be faster, maybe, still with a good program and proper nutrition; but probably not fast fast.

Recomposition could be even slower if starting at already quite low body fat, maybe - don't have the moderate excess fat as a fuel source.

Added muscle, even quite a good bit of it, may not show - let you look shredded - if you still have higher body fat covering it up.

So: Where are you now (appx BF%), what's your program (and maybe training history), how's your nutrition? IMO, your question's hard to answer, especially without some idea of stuff like that as context.
  • bozgrit10
    bozgrit10 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Currently started a PPL split, pretty new to it however am quite active. I am 19 and 69-70kg and have been tracking my macros, nutrients and food for the past month or so. With the goal of increasing a little bit of weight but mostly trying to gain lean muscle because i am not that strong. Wanting feel better and i guess look shredded a little bit.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond, means a lot
    Apologises for posting similar questions in each feed also :neutral: /
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Training effectively while maintaining your weight will improve your strength, musculature and body composition.

At your age and with little past lifting experience you should progress quickly if your training is consistent and you have a reasonable response to training.

This.

But with an observation: Sijomial-age/exerience definition of "progress quickly" may differ from your own definition of "progress quickly". (From other threads, IIRC, you're 19, new to this, pretty eager to see tangible results?)

Muscle gain is a thing of many weeks to months and years, realistically, even if one progresses quickly. Patience is part of the formula for success. Strength gains can be surprisingly fast at first, some appearance effects a little slower, actual major mass gains going to take time, consistency, effort, good program, good nutrition.

For sure, doing it now, at your age, is the best possible opportunity. It gets even slower, typically, with more years on the chassis.

Wishing you excellent outcomes, and pretty sure you'll get them, with time, if you do the right things, consistently!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Training effectively while maintaining your weight will improve your strength, musculature and body composition.

At your age and with little past lifting experience you should progress quickly if your training is consistent and you have a reasonable response to training.

This.

But with an observation: Sijomial-age/exerience definition of "progress quickly" may differ from your own definition of "progress quickly". (From other threads, IIRC, you're 19, new to this, pretty eager to see tangible results?)

Muscle gain is a thing of many weeks to months and years, realistically, even if one progresses quickly. Patience is part of the formula for success. Strength gains can be surprisingly fast at first, some appearance effects a little slower, actual major mass gains going to take time, consistency, effort, good program, good nutrition.

For sure, doing it now, at your age, is the best possible opportunity. It gets even slower, typically, with more years on the chassis.

Wishing you excellent outcomes, and pretty sure you'll get them, with time, if you do the right things, consistently!

@AnnPT77

At 19 my progress was so fast it really was a matter of a few weeks to see and measure muscle growth to the extent I couldn't get my jeans past my quads and couldn't do up the buttons on my shirt. Perhaps a bit of gorilla DNA as quads and pecs grew at a crazy rate?!

But I....
    A/ Trained hard.
    B/ Trained well (but far from optimally) and with no regard at all to nutrition beyond eating a lot to fuel my sport and exercise.
    C/ Wanted to be big and strong not "shredded". (If you remember the film Enter the Dragon - think Bolo Yeung not Bruce Lee.)
    D/ I was an unusually good responder (as was my brother) and thrived on a much higher training volume than most of my peers.

The last bit is hugely variable even in the same demographic and averages don't really tell the full story as the range is enormous. When I coached a youth rugby team there were some players that grew muscle remarkably fast and some that struggled to put on any muscle mass despite trying hard. One of my fellow coaches noted rather unkindly (and not to the boys!) that some boys grew like a weed and some simply looked like a weed.
    It could be your prediction is accurate or pessimistic for the OP, no way to tell until he does it.

But 19 is a great time to push hard to attain a physique high point.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    bozgrit10 wrote: »
    Currently started a PPL split, pretty new to it however am quite active. I am 19 and 69-70kg and have been tracking my macros, nutrients and food for the past month or so. With the goal of increasing a little bit of weight but mostly trying to gain lean muscle because i am not that strong. Wanting feel better and i guess look shredded a little bit.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond, means a lot
    Apologises for posting similar questions in each feed also :neutral: /

Gaining Lean Muscle is a term thrown around that really isn't possible for anyone to control totally.

But that would imply the body recomp Ann mentioned, as you attempt to gain muscle but not weight, therefore some fat is lost at the same time.

Rather than the faster muscle building method by eating in surplus - which will result in some fat gain too.
    But the amount you eat in surplus determines the amount of each gained.

In theory one could do their own personal study and see how much extra they can eat and only gain the muscle mass at max rate but not the fat. Not really realistic though.

Great age to maximize it if you have the schedule and mental strength to go at a good program consistently.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

This.

@AnnPT77

At 19 my progress was so fast it really was a matter of a few weeks to see and measure muscle growth to the extent I couldn't get my jeans past my quads and couldn't do up the buttons on my shirt. Perhaps a bit of gorilla DNA as quads and pecs grew at a crazy rate?!

But I....
    A/ Trained hard.
    B/ Trained well (but far from optimally) and with no regard at all to nutrition beyond eating a lot to fuel my sport and exercise.
    C/ Wanted to be big and strong not "shredded". (If you remember the film Enter the Dragon - think Bolo Yeung not Bruce Lee.)
    D/ I was an unusually good responder (as was my brother) and thrived on a much higher training volume than most of my peers.

The last bit is hugely variable even in the same demographic and averages don't really tell the full story as the range is enormous. When I coached a youth rugby team there were some players that grew muscle remarkably fast and some that struggled to put on any muscle mass despite trying hard. One of my fellow coaches noted rather unkindly (and not to the boys!) that some boys grew like a weed and some simply looked like a weed.
    It could be your prediction is accurate or pessimistic for the OP, no way to tell until he does it.

But 19 is a great time to push hard to attain a physique high point.

I understand, and agree. The range of OP's posts suggest he's 19, maybe 4-5 weeks into the process, and is looking for tips on multiple threads in multiple categories in a bit of a "do it all right all at once" effort. (Started 4 new discussions on 9/28, one each in Food, Motivation, and 2 in gaining/bodybuilding. One more new thread on 10/5 in food. Five more on 10/6, in food, recipes, maintaining, gaining/bodybuilding, general.) The questions are worded differently, but play on similar themes.

Very sincerely, but sort of in the cognitive posture of a concerned elder auntie, I 100% admire his energy and enthusiasm!

That said, I think managing expectations a bit may be in order, and encouraging patience. When I say "muscle gain is a thing of many weeks . . ." that's coming from a look back to my own 19-y/o self, for whom "many weeks" would've been something shorter than one college term, so maybe 6-8 weeks?

I do expect him to make fast progress in objective terms, which I think is more likely to happen if tempered with patience, and seasoned with the hard work and good nutrition you're so sensibly recommending. Nineteen and male is practically the perfect situation to apply the necessary persistence, for maximum positive outcome.

I've had some nice young men in my friend feed at a similar age, with similar goals. Those who stick with it persistently for the longer haul (months and beyond) usually do reach excellent development, consistent with how I'd interpret Bozgrit10's goals. 🙂