Ladies: What methods are you using?

I've been working out dieting and using this app for about a week. I chose to count my calories, everyday I'm allowed 1200 calories so I eat within that guideline for the day and I burn off all the calories that I eat. So far in the past 7 days I'm down 4 pounds. What has been working for you?

Replies

• TishDub
    TishDub Posts: 5 Member
    I started Sept 9th counting calories, I eat far too many carbs thats for sure. I go to the gym 3 times a weeks and just cook everything fresh nothing is processed and smaller portions. I havent lost that much weight only 3kg but for me its not about losing weight its more about getting healthier and fit.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I've been working out dieting and using this app for about a week. I chose to count my calories, everyday I'm allowed 1200 calories so I eat within that guideline for the day and I burn off all the calories that I eat. So far in the past 7 days I'm down 4 pounds. What has been working for you?

why 1200?

4lbs is pretty fast unless you are at least 100lbs over weight...

For me I eat appx 1600 calories a day to lose 1lb a week and I do 5.5 miles or appx 90mins of cardio a day broken into 4 sets of walks. Then I just started lifting heavy again....

If I want to slow my weight loss I can eat up to appx 1900 calories a day...

I usually maintain on 2200.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    @wunderkind gives a perfect example of choosing a sustainable deficit and sticking with it! Awesome! I think losing at a sustainable rate sets you up well for maintenance, which is every bit as hard as losing.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    I usually ate 1400-1600 calories plus all my carefully estimated exercise calories, and lost 50+ pounds in under a year, obese to healthy weight. (That was the result of determining how many calories I could eat, and lose at a rate of 1% or less of current body weight per week. Super fast loss is hard to sustain, increases health risk: I didn't need any of that!)

For myself, I made a commitment not to do anything to lose weight that I wasn't willing to do long term to stay at a healthy weight, other than a sensibly small calorie deficit. That meant not fully ruling out foods I enjoy and desire, not skipping holidays, not doing exercise routines I didn't enjoy, etc.

I tried to experiment, figure out and then groove in relatively easy, maintainable habits that would help me stay at a healthy weight long term - ideally permanently! - without requiring constant discipline or willpower (those are not my strong suit).

I'm in year 5+ of maintaining a healthy weight now, after previous decades (literally) of overweight and obesity, now age 65, around 125 pounds at 5'5". I'm still eating pretty much the way I set things up during weight loss, generally doing the same types of fun exercise, etc. For me, the above was a decent strategy, working out pretty well so far. YMMV.
  • I started with arthritis in my feet, chronic pain, and exercise intolerance, and weighing 296 pounds at 5'7". During 2020 I lost 45 pounds, and got it to 60 in 2021, by eating about 1450 calories a day more or less, and losing about a pound a week. I do yoga and was sneaking in weight training and time on a recumbent exercise bike at home, but suddenly my weight loss STOPPED. To make a long story short, in January I'll have my misbehaving thyroid removed, and go on replacement thyroid hormone, and then I'll be able to lose weight again. Till then, I'll maintain, and I'm not worried cause I've proved I knew how to do it. I also will (hopefully) lose a few pounds off my chest with a breast reduction in 2021, and be able to exercise better and have a lot less pain on a daily basis. (They did not shrink when I lost my weight... but the belly holding them up from beneath did. OW.)

I can't volume eat, so I cut my portion size down to about a third of what I used to eat, and that has worked very well for me. After almost two years of this, I really can't overeat at a sitting because I'll be sick. (I can overeat by nibbling constantly, though.) I also weigh daily because that way any variation is just a data point among many data points, and I can see what effects eating out or my menstrual cycle or stress has on my weight, and I can catch it creeping up before it really goes too far, at this point.

I've committed to changing my eating patterns for good. I will probably be watching calories and weighing and measuring my food the rest of my life, but I view that as something like the ankle exercises I do every morning while I listen to the news; I do this thing because I have a physical issue and this is the action that keeps me able to be active and healthy.
  • pnrbor
    pnrbor Posts: 56 Member
    Well done on your weight loss. I'm on 1200 calories a day but I certainly don't lose 2 pounds a week. The weight is coming off very slowly. I am also seeing a dietitian.
  • Welcome!!!
    Congratulations for taking your first steps toward a healthier you.

You’ve found a great app and community to improve or maintain your health and fitness. Whatever you’re goals are, there is a place for you here.

You are in the right place. Remember this is not a program or a diet, it is a lifestyle to a healthier you.

Browse around the community to find a group that suits you or stick with these threads. We are all here to help each other out and provide inspiration or motivation.

Start by reading some of the inspiration stories in the blog. You’ll find a theme there starting with:
    - make a small sustainable change eg., if you like to drink pop, then switch that out for water or sparkling water with lemon or lime in it.
    - Once you’ve adjusted to that change then make another small sustainable change eg., if you like to eat rice, switch that out for brown rice
    - Track what you eat
    - Monitor your macros
    - Monitor your metrics (weight and measurements)
    - Then adjust as needed
    - As you lose weight, your body is going to change, not only in appearance, but also in how it reacts to different foods.

You’ve made a fantastic first step by logging into MFP.

We are all here to support each other.
    Lietchi wrote: »

By the way, the fact that you got 1200 calories as a calorie goal means that you chose a weight loss rate that is too agressive than is appropriate for your weight: MFP never gives a goal below 1200, to ensure adequate nutrition.

Re this item:
    I also get a 1200 calorie target using MFP. So, I’m not sure where the first comment comes from. I do believe that MFP will give a goal less than 1200.

Depending on you height and starting weight and weight lose expectation, a 1200 a day calorie goal should be fine. 4 pounds in one week is likely mostly water weight. Weight fluctuations are normal and should be expected. Check out this funny article
    https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    edited October 2021
    Welcome!!!

You’ve found a great app and community to improve or maintain your health and fitness. Whatever you’re goals are, there is a place for you here.

You are in the right place. Remember this is not a program or a diet, it is a lifestyle to a healthier you.

Browse around the community to find a group that suits you or stick with these threads. We are all here to help each other out and provide inspiration or motivation.

Start by reading some of the inspiration stories in the blog. You’ll find a theme there starting with:
    - make a small sustainable change eg., if you like to drink pop, then switch that out for water or sparkling water with lemon or lime in it.
    - Once you’ve adjusted to that change then make another small sustainable change eg., if you like to eat rice, switch that out for brown rice
    - Track what you eat
    - Monitor your macros
    - Then adjust as needed
    - As you lose weight, your body is going to change, not only in appearance, but also in how it reacts to different foods.

By the way, the fact that you got 1200 calories as a calorie goal means that you chose a weight loss rate that is too agressive than is appropriate for your weight: MFP never gives a goal below 1200, to ensure adequate nutrition.

Re this item:
    I also get a 1200 calorie target using MFP. So, I’m not sure where the first comment comes from. I do believe that MFP will give a goal less than 1200.

Depending on you height and starting weight and weight lose expectation, a 1200 a day calorie goal should be fine. 4 pounds in one week is likely mostly water weight. Weight fluctuations are normal and should be expected. Check out this funny article
    https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

MFP will not give a goal less than 1200 cal a day for women and 1500 cal a day for men. It ensures adequate nutrition. Try and see, if you believe differently ( plug in an aggressive weight loss goal).
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    I have around 1400 - 1600 cals Monday to Sunday which gives me extra calories to have meals / drinks "off plan" Friday and Saturday.
    I don't have an exercise plan - I'm fairly active and average around 1500 steps a day and enjoy occasional cycling.
  • Welcome!!!

- Track what you eat
    - Monitor your macros
    - Then adjust as needed

Re this item:

MFP will not give a goal less than 1200 cal a day for women and 1500 cal a day for men. It ensures adequate nutrition. Try and see, if you believe differently ( plug in an aggressive weight loss goal).

Sorry, yes. That is what I was trying to say and missed the word not. Thank you for the correction. What a I meant to type is:

I do believe that MFP will NOT give a goal less than 1200.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    edited October 2021
    First, I don't pay attention to what the scale does until 6 weeks into any new diet.

I log my weight every day, but try to ignore the numbers, especially in the first few weeks. After 6 weeks, I check the graph of my daily weigh ins and that will tell me how well the diet is working.

I always aim to lose slow and steady, and like the person above, I've never ever made a diet change that I didn't intend to keep long term.

Once you find something that's sustainable and works, the hard part is done. After that, all you have to do is wait, and the weight just disappears.

To answer your question though, what I'm doing right now is eating mostly plant-based, home cooked meals, no alcohol, and 18:6 IF most days, which I really enjoy.

I only do gentle exercise because I'm very injured.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    Welcome!!!

- Track what you eat
    - Monitor your macros
    - Then adjust as needed

Re this item:

Sorry, yes. That is what I was trying to say and missed the word not. Thank you for the correction. What a I meant to type is:

I do believe that MFP will NOT give a goal less than 1200.

I'm not sure what you didn't understand about my comment then.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I've lost 45 lbs in 11 months, just counting calories and moving my body for some amount of time every day. SW 252, CW 207. 5'2", 30 years old, female. I've never been below about 169lb, so rather than aiming for a specific number on the scale or a specific measurement or whatever, I'm just focusing on trying to lose about 1lb per week until I feel like I'm done. If I can keep that up, by the end of 2022 I will be in the mid-140s, which is just within the bounds of a normal BMI for my height, but most of next year is going to be uncharted territory.

I eat an average of around 2200 calories per day; typically during the week I'll come in a little lower (more like 1800ish), so on the weekends I can indulge a little more. I've gotten this far eating ice cream and pizza and drinking beer - I log it, I make room in my budget for it. I may occasionally buy a lower-fat/lower-carb/whatever version of a product, but I don't go out of my way to buy or eat "diet food." I'm not fasting, intermittently or otherwise. I cook +/-90% of what I eat at home, and make sensible choices at restaurants. I'm not worrying about macros right now; that may change in the future as my training goals do, but not now. I plan for special-occasion meals, there's about one every month (my anniversary's tomorrow, for example). I don't let the inexorable march of time derail me because there's always another reason to indulge just around the corner, so I had better figure out how to live with them since I can't just stop participating in life until I reach goal, or I won't have learned anything.

I'm not out here going wild in the gym or anything, either. I take walks - ~30-40 minutes during the week, sometimes longer on weekends as time allows. I play Ring Fit Adventure on my Nintendo Switch. I've followed a few simple beginner cardio and strength workout videos on Youtube and in the Planet Fitness app, 20 minutes main set. I've done some super basic and simple yoga flows from, like, Pinterest and stuff. Over the summer, once I was vaxed, I got back into the gym and did Strong Curves 3x/week for 12 weeks, then in September started working toward the specific training goal of crushing a watermelon with my thighs*, which has had me in the gym just 2x/week for 8 weeks. I go to a Planet Fitness, I'm not a jacked powerlifter (yet ;)).

*(it's going to be a jack-o-lantern instead, though, due to timing and also for the sake of holiday spirit; crush day is Sunday 10/31).
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    16:8 IF, calorie counting to a deficit of around 300 to 500 calories per day max, taking exercise into account, fairly low carb (basically no sugar or refined carbs) but protein and fat on the high side as that helps me feel full. Getting as many calories as possible from good quality food rather than drinks.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    1200 calories per day here. Power Walking is working a treat for me whilst my running is in a break. Usually every other day, around the 2 hour mark. Down 40 lbs now, almost at my goal; I lose between 1 to 2 lbs per week.