Cinnamon Sticks

Options
I’ve discovered the joy of adding a cinnamon stick to my chai.

I’m getting calories ranging from 0 to 69.

Advice appreciated on how to log it? I just stick it in the hot tea, and throw it away when I’m done with it.

I thought I’d better double check before I order in bulk, since I’d go through at least two per day.

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I'd be really surprised if cinnamon has ANY actually usable calories, even if you ate the dang thing...is it a LOT oilier than I think it is, or something?? Are you sure the 69-calorie entries aren't candy?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I’m getting calories ranging from 0 to 69.

Advice appreciated on how to log it? I just stick it in the hot tea, and throw it away when I’m done with it.

I thought I’d better double check before I order in bulk, since I’d go through at least two per day.

Are you eating the stick or just letting it steep so it flavors the tea? If just using it to flavor, I wouldn't count any calories because you are getting a minuscule amount of the cinnamon oil in your tea. Oil in general is 33 calories per teaspoon so the drop you are getting might be 3 or 4 at the most.

If you are eating the stick (and yes, I used to do that as a kid) weigh the stick and use the entry for ground cinnamon that weighs the same. Ground cinnamon is just a stick all ground up.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    I'd be really surprised if cinnamon has ANY actually usable calories, even if you ate the dang thing...is it a LOT oilier than I think it is, or something?? Are you sure the 69-calorie entries aren't candy?

As someone who used to work for a spice company I can tell you that the highest quality Vietnamese cinnamon is about 6% oil. Medium grade like what is grown in China is 4% and the lower Indonesian grade (by far the most widely available) is about 2-3%. Those are all cassia. True cinnamon is grown in Sri Lanka and is about 4% oil but has a sweeter flavor (mixes great in fruit dishes).
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    The 69 calories was from nuts.com website, and did indicate it was if the stick was ground up.

I never thought of eating the stick. I guess if you can grind it, you can eat it. I’m tempted to have a nibble now!

I’m just sticking it in my chai lattes to spice them up. It takes it to the next level.

I loooooove Frontier Coop’s Vietnamese cinnamon and bought it by the pound last time. It’s worlds away from the McCormick and Spice Islands type quality. Sweet and hot, fragrant.

I know too much Vietnamese cinnamon can cause liver (or is it kidney?) issues. I don’t think I eat enough to have an issue, but I am quite generous sprinkling it on my chai latte froth and in my pumpkin pudding.

There was such a massive range of calories given, it blew my mind. TBH, I don’t even count my generous sprinkles of the ground stuff, because I don’t think they’d be more than a couple of grams in a day.

I think I’ll order a pound of sticks with a clean conscience.

Thanks, y’all!
  • earlnabby
    Options

I never thought of eating the stick. I guess if you can grind it, you can eat it. I’m tempted to have a nibble now!

I had a friend who quit smoking by keeping a cinnamon stick in his mouth like he would a cigarette, occasionally chewing on it. Whatever works.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,168 Member
    Options
    The 69 calories was from nuts.com website, and did indicate it was if the stick was ground up.

I’m just sticking it in my chai lattes to spice them up. It takes it to the next level.

I loooooove Frontier Coop’s Vietnamese cinnamon and bought it by the pound last time. It’s worlds away from the McCormick and Spice Islands type quality. Sweet and hot, fragrant.

I know too much Vietnamese cinnamon can cause liver (or is it kidney?) issues. I don’t think I eat enough to have an issue, but I am quite generous sprinkling it on my chai latte froth and in my pumpkin pudding.

There was such a massive range of calories given, it blew my mind. TBH, I don’t even count my generous sprinkles of the ground stuff, because I don’t think they’d be more than a couple of grams in a day.

Thanks, y’all!

I like 'em, they're good. Chew really well, though, maybe, eh? That bark is harder and pointier than most things we eat, kinda splinter-y.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Thanks, y’all!

I like 'em, they're good. Chew really well, though, maybe, eh? That bark is harder and pointier than most things we eat, kinda splinter-y.

Yes, my husband chewed on them when he was quitting smoking, and sometimes they would cut his mouth. He had to be really careful.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I've recently discovered the joy of adding ground cinnamon to coffee. It's less than 1/16 t, and I don't log it.
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 17,833 Member
    Options
    I add a Ceylon (always only Ceylon) cinnamon stick to both my coffee and hot cider.
  • aqua14lisa
    aqua14lisa Posts: 35 Member
    Options

oooh, sounds so yummy!! Will try that!
    made some applesauce with Gala apples we really didn't care for, put in a cinnamon stick while it simmered for 30 minutes and wow, what spice it added!! Made the house smell amazing too. We prefer eating Ambrosia apples, crisp and crunchy, bit sweet, bit tart. DH sprinkles his apple slices with 'Tajin with lime' seasoning, memories of Mexico.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    aqua14lisa wrote: »

oooh, sounds so yummy!! Will try that!
    made some applesauce with Gala apples we really didn't care for, put in a cinnamon stick while it simmered for 30 minutes and wow, what spice it added!! Made the house smell amazing too. We prefer eating Ambrosia apples, crisp and crunchy, bit sweet, bit tart. DH sprinkles his apple slices with 'Tajin with lime' seasoning, memories of Mexico.

My favorite fall drink is to mix 3 parts apple cider and 1 part unsweetened cranberry juice (can also be done with 2 parts apple and 1 part cranberry juice cocktail but I prefer the former). Heat up on the stove or in a slow cooker with several cinnamon sticks and cloves (a star anise or two is good if you have them). Add brown sugar to taste if too tart. I will make up a bunch of this at one time for guests. Whatever is left over goes back into the cider bottle (strain out the spices) and in the refrigerator. Pour out a mug full and reheat in the microwave.
  • enlightenme3
    enlightenme3 Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've recently discovered the joy of adding ground cinnamon to coffee. It's less than 1/16 t, and I don't log it.

I've been adding a couple of healthy shakes of cinnamon to my coffee grounds and letting the flavor brew into the coffee. Adds a nice depth and warmth - no overt cinnamon taste. If you've ever had Trader Joe's Winter Blend coffee (which I think has some warm spices along with black pepper), it's a similar flavor profile.