BMR, TDEE, calories and confusion!

Options
The more I look at this stuff, the more confused I get. ok so I don't excersize .... not yet anyway cause I just got out of a boot on left foot from severley sprained ankle. When I started mfp had me at 1200 calories. I thought at was way too little so I started looking in to bmr and tdee. I am 5 ft and weigh 167 now and 178 when I started. mfp 1200 was what it said when I started.... I calculated bmr and tdee and came to 1334. Now at 167 I recalculated and its saying 1513... my activity level is lightly active. So should I stick with 1334 or go up? I am wanting to lose at least the 2 lbs a week. I'm still losing and don't wanna go up if there's no need to but I don't want to get stalled out either. is my calculation even correct? help please

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    BMR and TDEE are completely different things. Also, different formulas are going to give you a different number. If the calculator you use utilizes the Katch McCardle formula then your BMR is likely to be lower due to the fact that it takes into account your LBM. Other BMR calculators do not, so your BMR number will be a little higher.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Also, the 1334 seems more appropriate for your height.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    How old are you love? And I assume you're aiming for TDEE - 20% for a 2lb a week loss?

I have aboslutely no idea what ago you are, so I've just calculated your for the same age as me (28) - please don't be offended if you're much younger or older!

So BMR = 1531
    TDEE = 1837
    TDEE - 20% = 1470

This is based on very little activity - remember that BMR is how many calories you burn just existing, without movinh a muscle...and the extra which makes up TDEE is based on your lifestyle, which I've selected as 'little or no exercise'.

I used this calculator: http://thefitgirls.com/tdee-calculator.aspx Have a look for yourself using your own age.

I've been using the TDEE-20% method and I really think that it's the most sensible approach :)
  • choeli
    choeli Posts: 10
    Options
    I have problems eating up to the 1200 calorie mark, much less 1886 calories per day. Sigh
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Set the Scooby calculator to your activity level and goal... for me (wanting to gain muscle, lose fat) with a moderate level of exercise (6 days at the gym), it has me with a TDEE of 2105. I try and be about 200 calories under and it's worked well for me. :)

The 1200 calories when I started this was not enough and I was so hungry.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have problems eating up to the 1200 calorie mark, much less 1886 calories per day. Sigh
    Then munch on peanuts, or have peanut butter with your apples. It'll get you up there pretty quickly. I'm 5'3", 42 years old, maintaining at 110 pounds for the past three solid months on 1700 calories a day - "lightly active."

I'd say if you stick right above your BMR, you'll be fine and be able to keep losing the weight. Once you are able to get more exercise in, you'll NEED to eat more. Hang in there!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    This would be a good post for you to read. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

As a rule of thumb, the following weekly targets would give a balance between minimizing these negative side effects and seeing a reasonable weekly weight loss:
    More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10 lbs: 0.5 lb/week
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

That was helpful....

Anyways, I used the scooby calculator for 34 years old, 5'0 and 167. It gave me a BMR of 1498, TDEE of 2059 and 1647 for weight loss ( TDEE-20%).

Edited to add - I used lightly active as your activity.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    2 lbs a week with no exercise is too aggressive, especially since you're under 200 lbs. Whatever method you choose, aim for 1 lbs a week and you won't be disappointed. Or try to get some exercise in that doesnt have a lot of impact on your foot, like the rowing machine or stationary bike, seated weight lifting etc.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

You probably are cutting out way too much fat from your diet. Eat your healthy fats...you need them for proper nutrition.
  • Teenalove912
    Teenalove912 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I need help figuring this system out. I used the calculator and it said my BMR was 1490 and my TDEE was 2310. So if I want to lose 2lbs a week do I continue to eat the 1200 calories via myfitness pal or set it up differently. I exercise (aerobic & weights) 5-6 days a week for about 45 minutes each. Could really use help understanding this.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    This would be a good post for you to read. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

As a rule of thumb, the following weekly targets would give a balance between minimizing these negative side effects and seeing a reasonable weekly weight loss:

More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10 lbs: 0.5 lb/week
    If you're doing TDEE -x%, use these guidelines:

More than 75 lbs: TDEE -20%
    40-75 lbs: TDEE -15%
    10-40 lbs: TDEE -10%
    Less than 10 lbs: TDEE -5%
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I need help figuring this system out. I used the calculator and it said my BMR was 1490 and my TDEE was 2310. So if I want to lose 2lbs a week do I continue to eat the 1200 calories via myfitness pal or set it up differently. I exercise (aerobic & weights) 5-6 days a week for about 45 minutes each. Could really use help understanding this.

Eat 1964 to lose 1.5 lbs, if your calculations are correct. Every 5 lbs, refigure your numbers.
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    idk if it makes much diffrence but I will be 35 in a few day as far as age on the calculator. I could add more calories like was suggested to the other lady no problem. I am pretty satisfied with what I eat and don't really get hungry. Just don't want to change it and stop losing weight especially if my numbers were wrong.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    idk if it makes much diffrence but I will be 35 in a few day as far as age on the calculator. I could add more calories like was suggested to the other lady no problem. I am pretty satisfied with what I eat and don't really get hungry. Just don't want to change it and stop losing weight especially if my numbers were wrong.

You won't stop losing at TDEE - %. Eventually, and I don't know when, you will plateau at 1200 and it will be very difficult to snap out of it. I use the http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ to check mine every 5lbs because it changes. And set it to lightly active unless you lay in bed all day. You probably burned more than you thought lugging that boot around, sorry for your injured ankle.

Also, using your TDEE, you do not eat back exercise calories, they are already figured in with your activity level.
  • l911jnt
    Options

You won't stop losing at TDEE - %. Eventually, and I don't know when, you will plateau at 1200 and it will be very difficult to snap out of it. I use the http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ to check mine every 5lbs because it changes. And set it to lightly active unless you lay in bed all day. You probably burned more than you thought lugging that boot around, sorry for your injured ankle.

Also, using your TDEE, you do not eat back exercise calories, they are already figured in with your activity level.
    when u say plateu at 1200 do u mean tdee-% will eventually be telling me to eat 1200? its set at lightly active. thx for all the info everyone. I like seeing what different ppl think. I'm new to all this and just trying to see what my body responds to best.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    No, it means if you are eating at 1200, when you DO plateau, you don't have anywhere else to go to break the plateau, since eating less than 1200 is not healthy.

If you are using the TDEE - % method, your % adjusts with your weight loss.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

TDEE should include exercise .... so to lose 2 pounds a week you need a 1,000 calorie deficit everyday (3,500 x 2 = 7,000). This would put your daily intake at 1,310. Because 1,310 is less than your BMR ...... this means 2 pounds a week is too aggressive.

MFP's 1200 calories includes ZERO exercise. When you log exercise here on MFP, those calories get added to your daily 1,200. MFP determined your calories based upon your weekly weight loss goal and 1200 is as low as MFP will go.

2 different methods .... you need to choose which works for you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think more than 1 lb a week when you only have to lose 50 lbs is just too much. You're going to starve.

I'm wondering why you set your activity at lightly active though if you have a sprained ankle and can't move much? For most TDEE calculators you have to walk about 4-5 miles a day to be considered lightly active.
  • l911jnt
    Options
    I think more than 1 lb a week when you only have to lose 50 lbs is just too much. You're going to starve.

I'm wondering why you set your activity at lightly active though if you have a sprained ankle and can't move much? For most TDEE calculators you have to walk about 4-5 miles a day to be considered lightly active.
    I work mon thru fri. I am walking around different times of the day. I thought it was usually in between your bmr and tdee and bmr is doing nothing but breathing and keeping body alive. I could walk perfectly fine in the boot.