Weight Lifting Routine/Program (2-3 days per week)

Options
So, a little background. I'm 30, female, and looking to get back into a basic weight lifting routine after taking some time off for personal reasons.

In the past, I've done the lifting sections from the LIIFT4 program on Beachbody on Demand (no HIIT) and I love the program. However, I'm ready for a change.

Currently, I'm not working, but I'll be starting a new job in January where I'll be working 3 days per week. Between the 10 hour days and 45-60 minute commute each way, I won't be going to the gym on work days. Sundays are also out. This leaves me with Saturdays and two random weekdays for lifting.

I'm looking for a program/routine that has me lifting two or three times a week. While I do have a gym membership and access to machines, I would like a routine that I can primarily do with dumbbells and resistance bands. That way, I can still do it even if I can't make it to the gym.

I don't know my work schedule, but there's a chance my one or more of my gym days may be consecutive (like Wednesday, Friday, Saturday) though I could also be able to lift Monday, Wednesday, Saturday or Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. I want to be prepared for the worst-case scenario which is only being able to lift Thursday, Friday, and Saturday).

I'm really not sure what this should look like. I really like the idea of having a program to follow with everything laid out for me. Just knowing that I should do back/chest on day 1, legs on day 2, and arms on day 3 or something like that doesn't really help. I need more structure.

Bonus if you know of any plans that don't require lunges. I feel VERY off-balance doing them and I'm worried I'm going to hurt myself. I want to work on them, but I'd like some other ways to strengthen my legs as well because I don't feel like I'm getting any benefits from my poor attempts at doing lunges.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There's a comprehensive list of programs in the sticky threads pinned to the Most Helpful Posts in the Fitness and Exercise forum.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Your schedule will probably mean you will need to do some kind of body part split (push/pull, upper/lower or by muscle groups).

BTW the way to get better at lunges is actually to do lunges. You don't have to travel across the floor to do them as many feel compelled to do which might help your stability/balance. You may also find building up the full range of motion steadily over time might help.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,545 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Have you tried reverse lunges? They're safer for the knees, I feel them working better for me, and they're probably easier for your balance too. When putting the leg back, make sure to push it wider than shoulder width, for more stability. You mentioned dumbbells too, which you can use with reverse lunges, also you can do goblet squats.

As for your schedule, maybe do upper body day 1 during the week, legs day 2 which may be the day after you said, then upper body Saturday. If you only end up making it twice that week, at least you still hit everything. If you're doing deadlifts, do those on the Saturday workout and keep your midweek workout more focused on back/chest.