Strength Training for beginners

I want to start strength training as I'm now 50lbs down and feel more comfortable stepping up my exercise routine.
Does anyone have any YouTube recommendations that aren't too complicated or difficult.
I'm 46 and still 180lbs!
I don't want to break anything 🤣
«1

Replies

  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,098 Member
    Congrats on making a great decision.

    It would be useful in knowing...
    1. You have interest in.
    2. Equipment available
    3. Time available
    4. Days available

    The human body is amazingly adaptable and you don't just break something. If you are novel to resistance training or cardio I would recommend you perform very little to start. Almost like you aren't feeling challenged. The body doesn't need much stimulus to achieve an adaptation at first so no need to go do a complicated or difficult workout.

    I'm not a fan of 99.9% youtube because of the vagueness of dosing the useful stress though you might find something to your liking. I certainly can help you achieve your goals if you want to discuss.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Congrats on making a great decision.

    It would be useful in knowing...
    1. You have interest in.
    2. Equipment available
    3. Time available
    4. Days available

    The human body is amazingly adaptable and you don't just break something. If you are novel to resistance training or cardio I would recommend you perform very little to start. Almost like you aren't feeling challenged. The body doesn't need much stimulus to achieve an adaptation at first so no need to go do a complicated or difficult workout.

    I'm not a fan of 99.9% youtube because of the vagueness of dosing the useful stress though you might find something to your liking. I certainly can help you achieve your goals if you want to discuss.

    Thanks for your reply 😊
    I don't have any equipment- I was thinking about body weight exercises or maybe get a set of small weights - depending on how I get on with the body weight exercise.
    I'm reluctant to join a gym - it's not an environment I feel comfortable in.
    I have time
    And I have no idea what I'm interested in - I just want to be stronger and more toned 😁
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,415 Member
    Don't feel like lack of equipment will be a hindrance to getting stronger and toned...just look at your average Olympic gymnast, they are incredibly strong and toned yet do it all with body weight! The question about equipment is important only because it helps determine which exercises are an option, which aren't.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,359 Member
    I want to start strength training as I'm now 50lbs down and feel more comfortable stepping up my exercise routine.
    Does anyone have any YouTube recommendations that aren't too complicated or difficult.
    I'm 46 and still 180lbs!
    I don't want to break anything 🤣

    I started being regularly active at about your age, and about your weight . . . but shortly after a period of my life when various health-depleting things happened, capped off with getting stage III cancer and going through nearly a year of treatment (surgery, chemo, radiation) then (during the getting/being active phase) 7.5 years of hormone-disrupting drugs. That activity included a couple of years of regular progressive strength training, and quite intense cardiovascular training (that I worked up to gradually).

    You'll do fine. Just start at a reasonable (challenging, but non-punitive) level, and progress gradually and sensibly. You're not too old or too out of shape or too anything. Starting now is perfect, since that's the soonest you can start. It's good to be careful, but it's not necessary to be worried/anxious.

    Personally, if I got an offer of help from Chieflrg, I'd take him up on it. 😉
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Since you don't want to gym, you might consider a set of adjustable dumbbells. I mean the ones that are relatively compact and let you quickly load them from anything like 10 pounds to 60 pounds, or whatever their limit is. Black Friday deals may have something in this range. It would help to have an adjustable bench too, that at least goes between flat, incline and vertical.

    Check out Athlean-X, Ryan Humiston and Scott Herman on YT, and look in their channels for bodyweight and dumbbell exercises. That'll get you started.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Thankyou for your replies 😊
    I appreciate any help as I am totally clueless!
    I am going to attempt some basic bodyweight exercises today - I'm weak so I'm not expecting much 🤣
    Thanks again
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 120 Member
    Some good body weight options here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

    You'll do better with a structured program than rolling your own. Persistence and consistency are key. I like the idea of adding dumbbells too. You can replicate most of the foundational lifts with either body weight or dumbbell programs.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,098 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Congrats on making a great decision.

    It would be useful in knowing...
    1. You have interest in.
    2. Equipment available
    3. Time available
    4. Days available

    The human body is amazingly adaptable and you don't just break something. If you are novel to resistance training or cardio I would recommend you perform very little to start. Almost like you aren't feeling challenged. The body doesn't need much stimulus to achieve an adaptation at first so no need to go do a complicated or difficult workout.

    I'm not a fan of 99.9% youtube because of the vagueness of dosing the useful stress though you might find something to your liking. I certainly can help you achieve your goals if you want to discuss.

    Thanks for your reply 😊
    I don't have any equipment- I was thinking about body weight exercises or maybe get a set of small weights - depending on how I get on with the body weight exercise.
    I'm reluctant to join a gym - it's not an environment I feel comfortable in.
    I have time
    And I have no idea what I'm interested in - I just want to be stronger and more toned 😁

    There are many ways to apply stimulus outside of the gym. The gym is just more efficient as far as making less drastic changes to programming, more options, and ability to stay in the sweet spot of stimulus and volume.

    Foe my clients that don't have or prefer to stay home I insert suitcases, gallon jugs, stairs or boxes, many variations of movements that dose stimulus with less weight, etc...it's comes down to what you do have available and how creative you are. One thing I highly recommend is utilizing proper load management and auto regulation as well.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,098 Member
    edited November 2021
    DoubleG2 wrote: »
    Some good body weight options here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

    You'll do better with a structured program than rolling your own. Persistence and consistency are key. I like the idea of adding dumbbells too. You can replicate most of the foundational lifts with either body weight or dumbbell programs.

    Not a given. Depends on experience, equipment available, research, individual responses to lift selection-volume-stress dosage, adherence, etc...the majority of those programs are not appropriate on a stress, average intensity, load management, etc...level.

    I'm not saying the OP shouldn't use one, I'm saying very clearly we don't have enough data to assume a structured outdated program is better than a person can come up with on their own with a little research and creativity for either short and/or long term.

  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 120 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I'm not saying the OP shouldn't use one, I'm saying very clearly we don't have enough data to assume a structured outdated program is better than a person can come up with on their own with a little research and creativity for either short and/or long term.

    I'm a sample size of one - I didn't know what I didn't know when I began. To be fair; I'm super goal oriented so having a roadmap allowed me to focus on each workout. OP may benefit from the same structured approach - at least initially.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,098 Member
    edited November 2021
    DoubleG2 wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I'm not saying the OP shouldn't use one, I'm saying very clearly we don't have enough data to assume a structured outdated program is better than a person can come up with on their own with a little research and creativity for either short and/or long term.

    I'm a sample size of one - I didn't know what I didn't know when I began. To be fair; I'm super goal oriented so having a roadmap allowed me to focus on each workout. OP may benefit from the same structured approach - at least initially.

    Actually initially there is a lot more wiggle room of "not knowing" the science behind programming when we are speaking of the goal of "strength training" as the OP stated.

    I forgot the actual sample size, but I do remember it was several thousands of lifters a few years ago was reported by at least two of the starting strength coaches.

    The Starting Strength program which I'm sure the majority of people know is geared towards untrained people was used for the data purposes. Out of all the lifters who bothered to log their lifting sessions on the site only 2% performed the program as written. This means 98% of the other lifters logged their bastardized version while being novel to lifting in some aspect.

    Unsurprisingly every lifter who logged gained strength, every single one. The reason? When we speak of untrained individuals it is very simple to drive a strength adaptation because it doesn't take much stimulus to do so. We literally can use a bike ride in place of squat during the week early on and I expect the squat to go up. This means strength programming can and is very forgiving to "know how" early on in a life time of training. The program or what you come up with on your own with a little research and creativity will drive progress early on like the OP is currently.

    Obviously Rippetoe the "creator" of the well famed program wasn't too pleased that this information was being reported. As I would think anyone that had such an investment would be upset.

    Strength progress will eventually stop developing adaptations and we need more advanced programming. That isn't something we should expect initially. Will the OP benefit from a structure program in that link? Some of them, others I would never recommend as beneficial especially to a novel lifter. Can the OP benefit from doing his/her own thing? Absolutely, the conditions are not that complicated.

  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 120 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Will the OP benefit from a structure program in that link? Some of them, others I would never recommend as beneficial especially to a novel lifter. Can the OP benefit from doing his/her own thing? Absolutely, the conditions are not that complicated.

    @Chieflrg That's a very rational explanation. Thanks for taking the time to respond. It makes total sense.

  • jcjrsmith9291
    jcjrsmith9291 Posts: 1 Member
    Thankyou for your replies 😊
    I appreciate any help as I am totally clueless!
    I am going to attempt some basic bodyweight exercises today - I'm weak so I'm not expecting much 🤣
    Thanks again

    There is a great site with bodyweight exercise routines, including videos to show you how to do the exercises. Check out https://www.darebee.com. Oh, and it's free, but they do take donations.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Referencing a previous comment on this thread... I have a set of adjustable dumbells & they were awesome until I built up strength & had enough time to get into a gym again. My set only goes to 12.5 lbs, but sounds like they make them much larger!
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 505 Member
    Following! I'm 59 and just over 190 lbs. I'm gearing up to start toning as well. Some great advice! So I've bookmarked this thread in case someone else chimes in.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,415 Member
    KiyaK wrote: »
    My set only goes to 12.5 lbs, but sounds like they make them much larger!

    I've seen adjustable DB's that go up to 60 pounds of weight. Problem is the locking mechanism has a habit of either breaking or sticking, making the set more trouble than it's worth, IMHO. Plus some adjustable DB's are round, but others are square, and there are safety concerns to take into account with the non-standard shapes.
  • Joechuks01
    Joechuks01 Posts: 7 Member
    Hi,

    You can also check out this as you can gradually build up the intensity as you see fit. You also don't need any equipment to do them as well.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT-7tFXtaEo

  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    There's a couple different ways to do strength training...I'm gonna go another direction.

    Try Yoga.

    If you're just started off in doing workouts, and you're...well, mature...the rookie mistake is to go too fast too soon on your body. Starting with yoga will develop strength, flexibility, and stuff like alignment/posture in what might be gentlier on your body. Also, yoga can compliment any free weight/bodyweight/kettlebell etc. program so you get "more bang for your buck".

    I really like some of the following yoga programs:

    TX Yoga (various instructors)
    Yoga with Adriene

    But there's a *lot* out there for all levels, ages, and preferences.

  • PolarBearBob
    PolarBearBob Posts: 17 Member
    I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this, but there has to be some type of app or program that I can accurately record my weight training and apply it to fitness pal.

    Fitness Pal is a very popular program, has management given up on the idea of some type of crossover for this. I mean we now have weight scales that interface with FP.

    I don't get it, and I'd really would like something to fill this need.
    Thanks,
    PolarBearBob