Basically, I'm afraid to eat.

Options
13»

Replies

• Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you!!! I'm going to up my calories. Starting today. Everything I've been reading makes a lot of sense and matches what I was already feeling.
    It's gonna be a scary process at first. But NOTHING is gonna be more scary than being 70lbs overweight, as I was a year ago.

THANKS!!!
  • lizzieloucaws
    Options
    That is totally understandable especially as you have lost weight already, there develops a fear around food and going back to where you started. But food as you said isnt bad. I used to get really stressed about certain foods (sadly when i had nothing to stress over in terms of health) so I switched it on its head. If you read into nutrition and what your body needs to function, what vitamins and minerals are needed and what foods can meet your needs then it becomes less about weight and calories and more about health and nurturing your body which you are working so hard to improve.
    Try making slow additions to your calorie intake gradually adding each week and that should reassure you that eating more doesnt necessarily lead to weight gain especially if you make it good for your body, personally i would opt for porridge with cinnamon and apple (total comfort food and good for you)
    Anyway hope this helps, good luck xx
  • wanderingarcher
    wanderingarcher Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Not so. If someone's BMR is say 1500 and their TDEE is 2000, then eating at their BMR is fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Playing with the TDEE calculator yesterday, I realized that when I am closer to goal weight my BMR comes down, and my TDEE-20% is actually going to be more around 1500. I think that is why in the past 1500 worked for me without stalling, when I was at a lower-weight starting point.

But again-- I am still trying to understand all this, so...
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Not so. If someone's BMR is say 1500 and their TDEE is 2000, then eating at their BMR is fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Playing with the TDEE calculator yesterday, I realized that when I am closer to goal weight my BMR comes down, and my TDEE-20% is actually going to be more around 1500. I think that is why in the past 1500 worked for me without stalling, when I was at a lower-weight starting point.

But again-- I am still trying to understand all this, so...

You are going to use -20% until you get to about 20 pounds away from goal weight, then you need to reduce that % to 15% and then 10%, and then will ease into maintenance at your goal weight.
  • wanderingarcher
    Options
    You are going to use -20% until you get to about 20 pounds away from goal weight, then you need to reduce that % to 15% and then 10%, and then will ease into maintenance at your goal weight.

thanks for helping me understand. :)
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you!!! I'm going to up my calories. Starting today. Everything I've been reading makes a lot of sense and matches what I was already feeling.
    It's gonna be a scary process at first. But NOTHING is gonna be more scary than being 70lbs overweight, as I was a year ago.

THANKS!!!

I was going to say that you just need to take that leap of faith, but it looks like you already have. :drinker:
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I don't know what to tell you except that it seems when I eat a little more and go closer to 1300-1400, and sometimes even 1600-1700, I actually start to lose the weight faster. This is just my personal experience that I've had in my first month using MFP actively. I started out aiming to stay below 1200 and found a little more works better for my weight loss.

eta: try it for just one week, and see.... the worst that could possibly happen is you might put on 1/2 a pound?
  • wanderingarcher
    Options
    I don't know what to tell you except that it seems when I eat a little more and go closer to 1300-1400, and sometimes even 1600-1700, I actually start to lose the weight faster. This is just my personal experience that I've had in my first month using MFP actively. I started out aiming to stay below 1200 and found a little more works better for my weight loss.

eta: try it for just one week, and see.... the worst that could possibly happen is you might put on 1/2 a pound?

If you're staying under your TDEE, then theoretically you won't GAIN anything, and you will lose something, though it may be slower than you think. Kind of remember the days of thousand-calorie binging and you realize eating over 1200 calories, even up to 2000 calories, isn't going to hurt you!
  • gomissfitnes
    gomissfitnes Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm curious Allterrain_lady, Where are you at now? Did you lose the weight? Did you eat more? I'm struggling with the same thing and wonder if I can lose weight by eating a little more.
  • kyubeans
    kyubeans Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    With all this talk about 1200 calories not being sustainable... I'm finding myself very confused by MFP's recommendation for 1200 for me. It starts out with 1380, then with a negative adjustment thanks to my Fitbit, it comes to a total of 1200. I'm set for 1.5 lbs loss and have over 100 to lose. Is there something wrong? All my height/weight/age/gender info is accurate...
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    kyucifer wrote: »
    With all this talk about 1200 calories not being sustainable... I'm finding myself very confused by MFP's recommendation for 1200 for me. It starts out with 1380, then with a negative adjustment thanks to my Fitbit, it comes to a total of 1200. I'm set for 1.5 lbs loss and have over 100 to lose. Is there something wrong? All my height/weight/age/gender info is accurate...

My target was 1810 and I lost weight. After a full year I re-calibrated my profile information and MFP gave me a new goal of 1980. I'm still losing weight.